38 coaches online • Server time: 14:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azurus

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Azurus wrote:
By definition, at least half the teams will lose more than they win, which is way too big of a team turnover cycle, since it means it's easier to get promoted.

That´s untrue. Imagine 3 players: 1 with 2 loss and the other 2 with 1 win and one draw.

Oops, I forgot about draws. Still, the point I was trying to make is that it IS ok to have teams with a losing record stay in the faction, since getting rid of all those that did would be a LOT of teams each round.
Ballcrusher

Post 23 Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

AeoN2 wrote:
I think some people take Faction (and bloodbowl in general) a bit too seriously... I think Faction is fun, so it has already reached it's potential for me...

I couldn't agree more. Faction would work just fine, if people would just stop whining "I don't want to play that or that team" or "I don't want to play you if you have 10 more STR than my team..."

If you want to win all the time, then stay in the Open league and only play Halfling teams. Blood Bowl is about playing for fun and also accepting a hard challenge.

Nothing is more satisfying than when you beat the crap out of a dwarf team with your amazons - or when you win against a team with 100 more STR than you (and remember, there are handicap rolls now).

So stop whining and play some faction games Very Happy
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Whilst i agree that it is a tad easy to dodge games in faction i dont thinkyou could have a mandatory couple of games. I live in Oz and half the players online are on the other side of the world and in vastly different timezones, so unless they wanna play bloodbowl at 5:00 in the morning they arent gonna be able to play me. (Excepting when i am drunk and awake to see the sunrise, which happens more often than i like)
Perhaps instead of penalties for missing games we instituted a reward system? Based on number of races played, amount of tr/str advantage given away. That sorta thing. I have no idea how the maths would work, but im sure on of you smart types could figure it.
Unfortunatley this system would reward number of games played rather than winning margins and such, but that is a factor in the current system aswell, and this way you would get more points for playing and beating that tackle heavy chaos team with your precious woodies. It could potentially be weighted so that playing and winning against yet another goblin team is worth the same as a close fought but eventually lost game vs chaos dwarves.

I think at heart of people's "Cherry picking" is a desire to build a team rather than simply win matches. Makes sense to me and i often choose to avoid the play that could save the game but very possibly cost me my prized war dancer for instance. This team creation focus is really suited to playing in the fummbl open format. Leave it there. My suggestion, outlined above by circularlogic, but slightly modified, is to reward ranking and number of game splayed against other races or against stronger opponnents or whatever with something that would appeal to a player focused on building a team. Cash prizes, the ability to buy spp's, remove niggles, that sorta thing.

Just a thought...

p.s. Please dont take this as criticsim. I love the site and often marvel at the work + dedication that goes into its upkeep. Like i said. Just a thought.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Faction is not broken--you can argu this either way. "It's up to teams to take on most challengers therefore they should be compelled to do so with a partial schedule." OR "It's up to teams to make themselves attractive enough--manage their TR/STR, or avoid one-turners, PO, MB, pick your poison to get enough games."

The folks who came up with factions (if I remember right) came down on the side of needing to manage your own team--which I think (given some very insightful comments about different time zones) is dead on. Factions is essentially semi-structured open. It's not about who wins the most games, or who even has a winning record. If you want a group about winning records then start a round robin advancement tournament. I'm not all that surprised that I'm one of only 6 coaches who play [url="http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=teams&group=&order=&nav=6&race=19"]Rotters[/u] in factions (at time of press). It's hard to get games with a bashy team but I'm neither shocked nor let down by rejections.

There is already a tremendous amount of incentive built in--by turning you down they may not have enough games in to stay in their faction. There's also the ability to traverse factions (except faction 1) so you can find another one that is bashy team ladden to up your chance of finding games.

Factions is fine the way it is.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with banana, Faction is fine. The only suggestion I would make is that all "miss next game" injuries get cleared at the end of the round so everyone is available for the start of the new round - to make it fairer.
poi66

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

turn it around as long as you like... faction is dead. I started 4 rounds ago with zones. At this time there were 300+ teams in factionq, faction 3a-d, faction 2ab und 1. Now we have q, 2ab und 1. My zones are now in 2b und can´t get any matches because of their high tr/st. I dropped 30 each and i am still 30 - 40 tr/st higher than the most teams. So I can´t get a single match - no talk of four! When I fall back in q i will retire the girls, cause this makes no longer sense. It is a pity and a shame - because i invested a lot of time in that team beside the matches (own pics and stuff).
Flix

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

We need more incentive for faction
it have to be hard to get in faction 1.
one idea is give faction 1 games final game status
one idea is give faction 2a and 3b games semi-final game status
and give the winner an MH for example
baronblod

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest problem isn't how hard it is to find a game with a bashy team (although this is indeed a big problem) but people dodging opponents because of TR/Str. How are you supposed to crown the best team if no one has to play it? Another problem here is that people now that the quality of a team has very little to do with the quality of the coach so you don't get the "I'm up against the mighty Arsenal, how exiting" but rather "Why should I take on this n00b that gets a handicap he hasn't earned in any way". This is of course unsolvable in a challenge format.

Which is a shame Sad
baronblod

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason people want faction to work is obviously beacuse it would be nice with a way to measure how good a coach you are and how well you are doing compared to other. That's why people rushed to join faction when it started. Then when it was clear that it didn't measure ability, people left.
Daragor

Post 18 Posted: Feb 01, 2004 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with Britnoth partly. I have a inactive d elf faction team, which was doing quite, but i couldn't keep to the schedule. I noticed at the time that there were quite a large number of cd and dwarf teams. The obvious reason for this decision is longevity. I can't speak for cd, never used them, but for dwarves they are a definite no-brainy and I personally can't stand them, same goes for zons. They require very little strategy as each in it's own way has a very distinct advantage in general. For me, dwarves are easily the most powerful bloodbowl team in the game, barring rediculous dodges etc all you have to do is maintain a defensive wall, guard the crap out of everyone and slowly throttle the life out of the opposition. If they weren't so powerful they wouldn't have had their big guy taken from them.
Anyway I'm getting away from my point.
Like Azurus stated
Quote:

If half the teams are bashy, half dodgy, and the dodgy teams only play each other, then that leaves the bashy teams to play each other.

From what i could see at the time, it might have changed i haven't been in faction for ages, a number of the bashy teams avoided each other and constantly challenged the faster teams. We all know why. It's always down to longevity. These bashy teams were quite happy to kick the crap out of the faster teams but avoided other bashers because they didn't want to run the risk of getting caned by a bashier team. Now I realise there are a number of solid guys out there who would accept any challenge, but how many, unless forced, would accept a match with their woodies against a guarded out dwarf team.
If you pick a bashy team what do you expect? Nobody likes getting the living crap kicked out of them for a win and then having to retire the team. It's unavoidable that faction will probably end up as unofficially, a two tier system.
I'm stopping now, my finers are killing me.
 Jump to: