45 coaches online • Server time: 11:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ilzhahkha

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interested in playing (mostly play on Mtgo these days), especially if there is alot of focus on limited formats.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Ilzhahkha wrote:
I'm interested in playing (mostly play on Mtgo these days), especially if there is alot of focus on limited formats.

I think it'd have to be limited. There are some truly broken combos that allow you to win in turn one!

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have "played" against one of those decks unknowingly. Not quite my idea of fun.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

justagigolo wrote:
I have "played" against one of those decks unknowingly. Not quite my idea of fun.

Hehehe.

Was it one where they spawned 30 zombies on turn 2? Ichorid or Bridge from Beyond ring any bells? Or some kind of silly Tolarian Academy deck? Vintage is genius.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

It was some time ago. I don't recall the cards involved, my mind was a bit blown away that he actually owned a black lotus. It involved him burning through my entire deck though.
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2010 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Im up for this, Il be showing you my true skills in magic and coming last in every event AHA!!

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

justagigolo wrote:
It was some time ago. I don't recall the cards involved, my mind was a bit blown away that he actually owned a black lotus. It involved him burning through my entire deck though.

Har. The Blacker Lotus was funnier.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Ilzhahkha wrote:

I think it'd have to be limited. There are some truly broken combos that allow you to win in turn one!

I have played abit of vintage as well, but that was when there was less than half the sets there are now. Now I stick to limited and standard (even if the price of jace the mind sculptor on mtgo is backbreaking).
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I had to stop playing Magic once I realized how much money I was spending combined with the fact that the cards I was buying essentially expired. With this client though, I imagine it will be fun to do sealed decks, or constructed decks as long as we relegate each competition to specific sets. Trying to create a deck with access to every card ever made would probably make my head explode.
Sixletters

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2010 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

i never spent much on magic, a few base block decks and a few choice cards, i didnt need to buy new cards for years, beating all my friends
RedDevilCG

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Correct me if I'm wrong, but magic workstation isn't free?
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

RedDevilCG wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but magic workstation isn't free?

It's full featured shareware that doesn't have an expiry date. You just get a reminder at startup is all.

On second thought, I don't think I'll be participating with the MtG league. Have fun!

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to participate in that league !

I have installed everything, but I only had a few magic games before and I never played on a computer (I used to get beaten by my little brother, that's mostly it). So I hope it's okay if I'm a rookie Smile
Shades_SteelFist

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

So when we kicking this off then?

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2010 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry about the delay guys, I've finally finished a nasty but necessary piece of writing that was taking ages (bah, life).

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards a Lorwyn based sealed deck where everyone gets three boosters of Lorwyn and three boosters of Morningtide. When people join the group I'll generate their sealed deck and send it off to them (I'll get a trusted source like PeteW or Rijssiej to generate mine). Once the league starts I'll post a download that contains everyones random draws.

Applications will close at 12:00 BBtime next tuesday (17th of August). I'll then draw people in a round robin or swiss competition depending on numbers. Rounds will last 10 days. If everyone joins up fast then I can schedule early and we'll have a long first round instead of a waiting period.

Does anyone have any opinion on sideboarding? I've left it out for now but I'll add a 5 card deep sideboard if people demand the option.

Rules:

- Sealed deck: 3 Lorwyn boosters, 3 Morningtide boosters
- No cards may be traded with other players
- Decks have a 40 card minimum
- You may add any number of basic lands to your deck (lands count towards the minimum)
- Once you start a match your deck is fixed. However, you may change your deck between matches.
- All matches are resolved as the best of three games
- 1 point for winning a match, 0 points for losing. If a game goes unplayed and no-one admits blame then both players will be awarded no points.
- Please record your life totals when the game ends, players should declare their overall totals when they report their results. These numbers will be used as a tiebreaker at the end of the competition, higher numbers beat lower numbers. (negative life count as zero, if the third game didnt get played then the match winner adds 20 to their overall total)

Please note the distinction between "matches" and individual "games" within the matches.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: