15 coaches online • Server time: 03:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
uuni

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2010 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

@nin: I concur with you, it is hard to read the skills and decide, which ones are mandatory and which optional. After reading some stuff on the tff.org, I have come to the conclusion that my British is perhaps not in par with the members of BBRC, they seem to say some things perhaps with less edgy clarity than I would hope.

Regarding Guard skill, we can take a quick look to the Wild Animal and Bonehead Skills:
Wild Animal (p48):
Quote:
Wild Animals are uncontrollable creatures that rarely do exactly what a coach wants of them. In fact, just about all you can really rely on them to do is lash out at opposing players that move too close to them! To represent this, immediately after declaring an Action with a Wild Animal, roll a D6, adding 2 to the roll if taking a Block or Blitz Action. On a roll of 1-3, the Wild Animal does not move and roars in rage instead, and the Action is wasted.

Bone-head (p43):
Quote:
The player is not noted for his intelligence. Because of this you must roll a D6 immediately after declaring an Action for the player, but before taking the Action. On a roll of 1 they stand around trying to remember what it is they’re meant to be doing. The player can’t do anything for the turn, and the player’s team loses the declared Action for the turn. (So if a Bone-head player declares a Blitz Action and rolls a 1, then the team cannot declare another Blitz Action that turn.) The player loses his tackle zones and may not catch, intercept or pass, assist another player on a block or foul, or voluntarily move until he manages to roll a 2 or better at the start of a future Action or the drive ends.

The skill Wild Animal does not technically write out that "you must roll" as Bonehead does, but instead says "you roll". Surely we cannot confer that the Wild Animal is now optional in LRB6? No we can not, so apparently we should interpret simply the declarative tense of the verb "roll" as an imperative. As we can note, this does not make all skills mandatory but only about 4/9 of them, some of them partially. In LRB6 there is nowhere a list that you must always use every "negatrait" of previous editions but of course the spirit of the rules still maintains this usage. I agree that the rules could benefit from clarification of this detail.

In this spirit, the descriptive tense of the Guard skill should also be interpreted as imperative.
Guard (p45):
Quote:
A player with this skill assists an offensive or defensive block even if he is in another player’s tackle zone. This skill may not be used to assist a foul.

I am glad if someone can point to me an easier method of deciding whether a skill is mandatory or optional. I believe that the folks at the discussion of the Heckler at talkfantasyfootball.org would also appreciate such.
Koigokoro

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2010 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

There's no point in wondering whether Guard has to be used when assisting is not mandatory to begin with.
 Jump to: