35 coaches online • Server time: 13:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
avien

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2010 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever you do, don't forget leader on a marauder. That's a 20k RR =)

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2010 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
Juggernaut is nice enough, but I wouldn't want both it and Block.

You be talking crazy.

Juggernaut cancles wrestle, which means I can then use Block! You go down, I roll armour. You, sir I just blitzed, have a useless skill.

Even better, if they have fend, I can cancel that too and still use frenzy and piling on!

Even better, if they have stand firm, I can cancel that too and still use frenzy!

Juggernaut is for awesome, Block and Juggernaught is for awesomer! Block, Juggernaught, Frenzy and Piling On is just mad skills.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2010 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Stand Firm does not affect or even cancel Frenzy.
Juggernaut and Block is a combination that sometimes will be useful. Like Pass block and VLL.
Juggernaut is useless unless you Blitz. And then you also have to look for opponents with wrestle - or fend or stand firm (if you want to surf him), but then you don't need block for those two options.
And if you spent your blitz(es) to hunt down my wrestler(s), then my ball carrier will have a really good time, and while you may hurt the wrestler, I will win the match.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2010 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks avien, I already had that idea Smile So I think I have finalised my team, but I wouldn't mind some additional input. To the rules are:

To start: 1200TV Teams. Skill progression happens twice:
* Before the first round, 4 skills on players of choice (one of which can be a double), OR I can sacrifice 2 skills to gain a +stat on a lineman type player. No more that 2x of the same skill.
* Before the fourth round, 4 skills on random players, 2 of which can be doubles. No more than 3x of any skill (including those from first round).

My basic starting team was to be (the skills don't count toward the 1200TV)
1x ogre + guard
1x troll + guard
1x mino + block
1x elf
1x gobbo
1x rat
6x marauders, 1x marauder+leader
4x rerolls
------------------------------------
10k left over.

For the second go of skill choices, I would focus on more block and guard. How does that seem? Anything I am missing?

Thanks for all the tips so far!

Now I have to get busy converting and painting the new marauder models I bought yesterday so that I don't have to pretend my existing blood bowl beastmen are marauders..

Oscar Wilde
XZCion

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2010 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

You are correct about the stand firm and frenzy, strange rules echoes leftover in my head... or just frenzy madness, who knows.
Yes, juggernaught requires blitzing.
No, I don't have to target your guys with wrestle, I can blitz whoever I chose.
The blockernaut combo opens up options when punching holes in cages or defensive lines. Fend or Wrestle are, at least in the TT games I play, very common on lino's, so the 'sometimes very useful' you mention is 'often very useful' in my experience. Only some coaches will mark up the Juggernaut big guy to stop the blitz, most prefer to ensure that the block big guy doesn't get a free hit in each turn.
Since I'm only just getting back into fumbbl, the typical skills may be different here, in which case the effectiveness of the Juggernaut/Block combo may be decreased. However, as a doubles roll for Big Guys, Block is far and away my 1st choice unless there is a mitigating circumstance, and having Juggernaut on the model already, or indeed planning to get it later, is not one of those circumstances.
Horses for courses perhaps? And ty for the reminder of frenzy rules. Time to go frenzy some flesh golems.
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2010 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey thanks for all the tips. I played in the tournament last weekend and it went pretty well. I won three games, drew 2, and lost my final game which was for second place, and pretty unluckily too. So YAY for Pact!

My observations were (for the interested):

1. Pact is pretty damned good. They hit as hard (actually harder) as any team I played against, and that included two Orc teams, a Chaos team and two Norse teams.
2. 5 Rerolls was probably a bit of overkill... But 4 would not have been.
3. The minotaur was awesome! Move over Ogre, you are NOT the best Big Guy!
4. I took extra arms on a Marauder for the second round of skill choices. This gave a great primary ball carrier, who could hand-off to the exotic players without animosity rolls. With lots of rerolls, surehands wasn't really necessary, and the extra arm was great for receiving high kicks and hand-offs as well.
5. The big guys in general are pretty good, IF you make 3 dice blocks with them. I tended to hide my big guys behind my marauders, and never left them unsupported. I think this was a key tactic, because I imagine things would go downhill pretty fast if they started to leave the pitch.
6. My goblin had to take a skill for the second round, and it could be a double pick. He took block, and it worked pretty well as he was targeted a fair bit, and he could even make a few blitzes.
7. Controlling the clock was also pretty vital. I beat a Skaven team in the tournament, which I don't think would happen by playing Elf bowl...
8. Don't be afraid to Blitz with the Big Guys, even if the Blitz can be wasted. Also, if you have plenty of rerolls, it is definitely worth spending them on failed Big Guy rolls every now and then.
9. Guard worked great on the Big Guys, but not so great on the Marauders, since they can be easily targeted... For the last 3 games, the one marauder with guard was taken to town pretty easily and never really made a difference. Wrestle would have been more effective.
10. The Warhammer "Chaos Marauder" models are pretty fantastic for Blood Bowl conversions. They come in individual pieces, so it is easy to make models with mutations etc. If I could offer advice to the company that makes them, I would stay stop being a bunch of %&$#$, and just focus on what you do best - making models. That is the best way to ensure market dominance.

And FINALLY

11. Block went really well on the Minotaur. In the second round of random players for skills, I got block on an Ogre as well. I think it was better than Claw, because I could block with the Big Guys relatively early in the turns.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: