25 coaches online • Server time: 01:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eddy

Post 7 Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

everytime I try to spectate or play, i download version 0.5.7 instead of 0.5.9. I have tried clearing the cache several times now, restarting the browser, but it didn't help.

How can I force the server to send me the good version? I thought it was all supposed to be automatic...

And, by the way, why cannot we also have an "installed" version of the client, in order to avoid having to redownload the client every time we play or even simply go spectating from game to game?

Last edited by Eddy on %b %14, %2010 - %22:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
gandresch

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

have you tried to start the jnlp from the console? Right click in the Spectate button, then save target as, which gives you the jnlp file. After that, you go to the java\bin directory in the command prompt (cmd.exe) and type "javaws thefilename.jnlp". (thefilename is the path to the file. Save it under e.g. c:\abc.jnlp , which makes it easier)
If that doesn't work, too, the browser is not the problem.

Greets,
gan
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Eddy, you are NOT downloading the client every time you play. You'll get a new download only when a new version is released (or if you clear your java web start cache). The thing you see getting downloaded is the .jnlp descriptor, that's some 700 bytes to tell the java vm where to look for the cached client. In no ways different from starting the old client via Fumbbl btw.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2010 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

except, that starting the client via console doesn't insert my coachname automatically Smile
The "command line thing" is just to show, that the browser has nothing to do with the client itself.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2010 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry guys for not answering earlier, I was under a heavy workload =)

@Kalimar
that's a problem, though: I am not downloading the new version.

@both
I have started the file using a CLI "javaws ffb.jnlp", and it still starts version 0.5.7

How do I get the latest version?!

PS: I'm using Ubuntu 10.04

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2010 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I know nothing about Ubuntu and suspect that the problem is related to that OS, but as a precausion you could try running "Ccleaner" to remove all hard to get rid of temp internet files cookies etc...

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2010 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it worked fine before, and I don't think I changed the system in the meantime, so I'm tempted to say that, no, the problem is not due to the system. If you meant "related" as in "the system presents a situation that was not accounted for by the code", then ok =)

In any case, maybe there should be a way to force the download of the latest version. Currently, I get a pop-up telling me I've got the wrong version, then it closes, and that's it, nothing I can do.

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2010 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I did mean something closer to the second example you gave. lol Wink Again though I would recommend trying ccleaner, its worth a shot although it is unlikely that it will fix it tbh, but it is good to have anyway (for windows OS, but I assume it will work for yours too).

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, CCleaner is a Windows util and wouldn't know what to do with a GNU/Linux system =) But thanks for the help, regardless!

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

IF you try to locate the files and erased them, maybe that could fix the problem for you.
It could be a security-setting, that your browser is not allowed to overwrite the files on your disc, which makes it impossible to update the software.
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

There shouldn't be any problems under Ubuntu running this game. I have never had any problems like you mention launching the game using firefox or google chrome...

Anyway, can you try running it from a different browser than you normally use?

And to update to Ubuntu 10.10, just open "System -> Administration -> Update manager".

Oscar Wilde
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi eddy, i can't really say for linux, but you have java webstart (javaws) there somewhere as well. In windows you'd do a javaws -uninstall to clear the java webstart cache from all downloaded programs. This automatically results in a re-download of the current version next time you click on play.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

it doesn't seem to be that easy.
On an Ubuntu 10.10 the openjdk and javaws must be installed. you can find javaws under /usr/bin/javaws . With "javaws -help" you get an output, that tells you, that uninstall is not an option. But you can make a new basedir (-basedir directory) for the cache and then the problem should be solved. Just delete the directory then, when it again doesn't work. At least you know then, where it is saved.

Greets,
gan
Erod

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

OpenJDK usually does not work properly. Instead install Sun Java from the partner repository.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2010 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: for info, here is the location of the cache files for OpenJDK when using Ubuntu 10.04. For other systems and/or versions, your mileage may vary.
Code:

~/.netx/cache/http/fumbbl.com

I have deleted this and it downloaded the correct file again. Since I had never experienced this problem before, I must assume something went wrong this one time. Maybe there should be an option to manually redownload the client, though.
Anyway, thanks for your help, everyone. Maybe this will be helpful to someone =)

Lakrillo wrote:
IF you try to locate the files and erased them, maybe that could fix the problem for you.
It could be a security-setting, that your browser is not allowed to overwrite the files on your disc, which makes it impossible to update the software.

It does the same with Chromium and Firefox. It also does the same when I launch the .jnlp file from the command line.

Grod wrote:
There shouldn't be any problems under Ubuntu running this game. I have never had any problems like you mention launching the game using firefox or google chrome...

Well, obviously, I have, so... How helpful is that, really? =)

Quote:
Anyway, can you try running it from a different browser than you normally use?

And to update to Ubuntu 10.10, just open "System -> Administration -> Update manager".

I did try two different browsers, no help. And Lucid being a LTS version (and this being a MacBook and my work laptop as well), I'll stick to Lucid. Also, installed Maverick on my desktop and it cannot handle ATI cards, resulting in a more or less unusable computer, so I won't try my luck with Maverick on a MacBook.

Kalimar wrote:
Hi eddy, i can't really say for linux, but you have java webstart (javaws) there somewhere as well. In windows you'd do a javaws -uninstall to clear the java webstart cache from all downloaded programs. This automatically results in a re-download of the current version next time you click on play.

Well, as someone said later, "javaws -uninstall" is not a valid command with OpenJDK.

gandresch wrote:

But you can make a new basedir (-basedir directory) for the cache and then the problem should be solved. Just delete the directory then, when it again doesn't work. At least you know then, where it is saved.

Thanks gandresh. Your solution worked perfectly. Now i only need to find the default base directory and clean it.

@Erod
thanks for the suggestion, it does indeed work (I tried for the sake of completeness). I'd rather stick to open tools, though, so I will uninstall it now Wink

Jump to: