23 coaches online • Server time: 03:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2010 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

About two years ago someone setup a magic league on fumbbl. It was a heap of fun and recently I've been thinking about creating a new group and a new league... Magic: the Gathering shall be played once more!

At the moment I'm trying and get a feel for how many people are interested and what sort of format they would like to play.

We would be using Magic Workstation which is a piece of software you can use to play MtG over the internet. Alot like JavaBB. Magic Workstation has some nice features:
- all the cards ever published
- relatively easy to use
- rules can be enforced, a log file makes it easy to resolve disputes
- above all, its free!

New players are welcome, almost encouraged, but you should be prepared to learn the basic rules so that you know how to play and what is going on. Fortunately the basic rules are relatively easy (the complicated stuff is written on the cards) and there is a series of introductory videos. A practice game or two would probably be a good idea - in the past most of the vets have been more than happy to help new players find their feet Smile

I want to run a sealed deck competition of some sort. This is purely because its the aspect of the game that I most enjoy... if lots of people want to play a constructed format then I'll be happy to play in it but probably wont want to run it. Constructed formats arent all that newb friendly, amongst other things.

Note for rookies: the sealed deck format involves everyone being given an equal number of random cards. The cards are randomised according to the booster and starter packs that the cards were originally sold in. So each player will get roughly the same amount of common, uncommon, and rare cards although there is no garuantee that everyone will get equally good deals.
Constructed formats involve players building decks with a free choice from whole sets of cards. There are various variations, usually with different restrictions on which cards can be selected. e.g. standard format allows people to use any cards that were published within the last two years.

Assuming people want to play sealed deck:
- which sets would people prefer to play?
- 40 or 60 card decks?
- do we want sideboards?
- should people be allowed to "re-roll" their draw?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
avien

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2010 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello. I have played some magic, but will probably considered a rookie compared to most. I'd like to give it a try =)

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

i still love my old school spirits, +1/+1 counters of temporary immunity ^_^
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to participate again. Was indeed a lot of fun back in the days. Smile

I am fine with any format.
BlueDevil420

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

with what kind of frequency would we be playing?
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never ever played or seen anything to do with Magic (Other than being aware of its existance obviously). How likely is it that I would be competetive at this, and how much time would I be investing into it? (Frequency of games, length of games, etc...)

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The basic rules aren't too complicated so I think you should be able to get up to speed soon. I am available for practise games if you like to try.

Frequency of games most likely something like once a week/10 days minimum (up to SillySod really).

A single game usually takes something like 10-20 mins and for tourneys best of 3 is commonly used.
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

If its that little time then I'd be up for it, yeah, let me have a play with it when I get home from work...

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to play, but I tried something similar with a friend of mine and we found that once you add a card to your "collection" you can automatically add unlimited copies of them to your deck. This is bad for sealed formats obviously. If you have found a way to get a 1-for-1 card manager for sealed deck purposes I would like to know Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:MtG+Create+your+deck
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hurrah there is life in off-topic when you blog it! (well, when Rijssiej blogs it)

Cribble you would be very welcome. The hardest part is learning the basic turn structure and getting your head around the different kinds of cards (which isnt especially tricky). Deckbuilding can be a bit of a hurdle but the last league had a superb guide that steers you through the obvious pitfalls. Once you've played through a practice game you can get straight into the meaty part of the strategy.

If no-one has any strong preferences about the choice of cards.... I'd like to use the same sets as last time (Alpha, Arabian Nights, The Dark, Antiquities, Legends, Fallen Empires). They have cards that are relatively easy to play but which tend to be powerful and quite exciting. Some of the modern sets are fun too but they are a bit more complicated (multicoloured cards, planeswalkers, bizarre effects).

A ten day schedule would probably be best... we want games to finish but it shouldnt be too slow paced.

@ torsoboy:

Magic Workstation is essentially two programs in one package - there is the online platform that you use to play but there is also a piece of card management software. The card management software is good at handling sealed deck formats, although you can add extra cards at will (like basic lands) it handles the cards on a 1-1 basis. I'll start updating the wikis and link everyone the download page once its done.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, maybe we were just lost in the program and I couldn't find it. I figure since it's a sealed deck format we should be able to complete it in an evening or an afternoon in the weekend? Also, I'd like to use the newer cards if possible because I've never played with them before.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Standard!.. I might join as well. Ill keep an eye on this thread.
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Peter - I'll have a proper read and try and download it tonight. Will you be about to answer my inane questions if I get stuck?

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2010 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

im in although im sure i'll be useless haha (no change there then) sillysod - let me know when we can have a game so u can help me
 Jump to: