75 coaches online • Server time: 20:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quozl

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to use the client to play internet football with two teams that are not part of fumbbl?

I run a real-world bloodbowl ladder (http://bloodbowl-ireland.org) and would love if we could support limited online play for the teams involved.

I already can export the teams in a format that the BOTOCS client will accept, so if it's a case of getting teams into a particular format that the client can read then I can do that.

I had done some testing with the BOTOCS client for this purpose, but we had a lot of stability issues with it unfortunately.

I wouldn't need result reporting or anything like that, just basic java football support with teams loaded from file.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Space Marine team I would like to use in the new client aswell!

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm talking about using Standard LRB6 teams in it, Skolopender. It can already load them, my question is basically, can it load team rosters from other places than fumbbl if they are in the same format as fummbl provides. I can export in whatever format is needed.
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

quozl wrote:
Is it possible to use the client to play internet football with two teams that are not part of fumbbl?

I run a real-world bloodbowl ladder (http://bloodbowl-ireland.org) and would love if we could support limited online play for the teams involved.

I already can export the teams in a format that the BOTOCS client will accept, so if it's a case of getting teams into a particular format that the client can read then I can do that.

I had done some testing with the BOTOCS client for this purpose, but we had a lot of stability issues with it unfortunately.

I wouldn't need result reporting or anything like that, just basic java football support with teams loaded from file.

I would say the answer is something like: Yes, the client can, but FUMBBL can't (or won't).

If what you are after is a League hosting that allows different modes of uploading games, then stuntyleeg.com is what you are after. If you just want to have a private league, but managed on FUMBBL, you will have to wait until FFB is implemented for the League division here. If you want a more "open" League, hosted on FUMBBL, you would need to ask Christer about incorporating that in the planned League division changes. Otherwise, you can approach the author (Kalimar) about being able to host the FFB independently of FUMBBL, but I have no idea how that will go over. In any case, I doubt any of this will be possible until after the FFB has been finalised.

Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Grod on %b %21, %2010 - %13:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

FFB will never work totally out of a FUMBBL environment as it is a server-client architecture that constantly talk to the FUMBBL-FFB server.

The client is really closely tied to the FUMBBL site and database, so i doubt that you will be able to play standalone games with teams that come from another source than FUMBBL. As far as i know there are no such plans and if it would be implemented, that is kind of far down on the to-do list for the client.
Flix

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

quozl wrote:

Your URL is not legal to GWs policies, it is not allowed to youse Blood Bowl in any term
BattleLore

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, FFB should run smoothly without Fumbbl as far as I know (Kalimar please correct me if I'm wrong). You need to run the server somewhere. The server uses his own db (something like Hibernate). You can feed your own teams in this db. BUT there is no team management tools included. So skill ups rolls etc you'll have to do on you own...
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

BattleLore, it is true that it can be run elsewhere, but i doubt the server-software should be given away to anyone that wants to run it separetelly, as this could be a potential for cheating and malicious use.
Wang

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Although BOTOCS development is on hold, it hasn't been said to be cancelled so it's possible that the stability issues you had may be resolvable. If you haven't already, chase up funnyfingers.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So no Space Marines?

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

quozl wrote:

Imo the best option for ya is to wait until ffb goes official (or just when leagues are added to it - buit expect that will not happend before it goes official) - and then make your own league(s) on fumbbl.

There is nothing that stops you from having another site devoted to the league and there are scripts (thanks to the fjeldabe named: shraaaak) that takes out the info and makes it easy to export it to other sites (still manually though - but hey standalona games would be that as well) And in this way you will have the safety of the uploaded gamereports so you will always know excactly what happended in a game.

Take a look at the norwegian league (fjeldabe ligaen) Nbbm http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&p=tournaments&group=4722

They have done a lot to change things to their own liking and such. And I believe they run a seperate site for some of the info.

ps: Fjeldabe is something some danes earn the right to call norwegians

pps: shraaaak = http://fumbbl.com/~Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I rather be a 'Fjeldabe' than a 'Molbo'! ;P

I think the league Thomkat is refering to is the secondary NBBM league (it's an open league we altered to our own liking):
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=4163&p=tournaments

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
BattleLore, it is true that it can be run elsewhere, but i doubt the server-software should be given away to anyone that wants to run it separetelly, as this could be a potential for cheating and malicious use.

If it has been designed correctly, and I'm sure it has, then I don't see why. Certainly no threat to FUMBBL's integrity.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Thomcat

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
I rather be a 'Fjeldabe' than a 'Molbo'! ;P

I think the league Thomkat is refering to is the secondary NBBM league (it's an open league we altered to our own liking):
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=4163&p=tournaments

molbo = http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mols

that is like calling you a guy from olso hehe

Smile

But hey there is load of bad true things to call us Very Happy

But hey after ermm 13 years of inlaws from Norway well then I ve kinda earned the fjeldabe thing hehe Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2010 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed wrote:
Lakrillo wrote:

If it has been designed correctly, and I'm sure it has, then I don't see why. Certainly no threat to FUMBBL's integrity.

But malicious use could potentially be starting a 'Fumbbl2' website...
I'm sure Kalimar or Christer (or anyone else) didn't put gazillion hours in to the site and the client for that to happen...

Jump to: