24 coaches online • Server time: 05:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2010 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,
certainly most people have heard about that devastating crowdpush-sidestep bug that can ruin entire games in FFB.

I'm quite certain that this issue will be fixed with the next update. However, the possibility that an unkown event or bug freezes the game is far from impossible.

Right now the situation is that if this happens, the game will be always entirely ruined. That is a shame because I know from servercrashes that the client does make save games after every turn to exactly handle game corruptions like they happen if the server goes down.
In this case the beginning of the turn is loaded.

Unfortunatly, if the game freezes just without shutting down, there is no way that needed save file can be reloaded.

That is because why I'd suggest to give the option to the coaches to reboot the game, or even better, to give it to the the admin staff, who could then assure that reboots aren't used in an abusive way.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2010 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

For now all I can say...It is beta, deal with it Wink
I'm sure the new admin panel will include options like this. Just a question of time.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2010 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Reboot...is that like foul again?

My advice: Always reboot sidesteppers till they die so they don't cause bugs.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2010 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

<3 Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2010 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

And here I thought you had made a cartoon team based on the Reboot series
zakatan

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2010 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:
And here I thought you had made a cartoon team based on the Reboot series

one of the most horrible series i can remember, must say
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2010 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

There is very few games in FFB that actually crashes nowadays. I think all of those bugs have been ironed out. What happens when games get stuck is that for different specific reasons, the server and client are waiting for eachother to do the next step. Sometimes the client is locked down to not get incorrect input and the server is waiting for more input from the client. This of course leads to that the game cannot be continued.
In the server, every move are saved as it is, it does not get saved per turn, but almost instantly. When there have been a server-crash though, the things that have not been confirmed written to the database have been lost, which is why you might have had to replay a few steps of the turn at those times.

We are ironing out the bugs as fast as we can and all things that makes the game to be abandoned have a high priority. But remember that it is still beta and we are working for free.
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2010 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:

We are ironing out the bugs as fast as we can and all things that makes the game to be abandoned have a high priority. But remember that it is still beta and we are working for free.

And doing a far better job than the rest of us could do or are doing. Praise and gratitude from this quarter Lakrillo, Kalimar and everyone else who reports original/new bugs and checks them out when the fix is updated. I know a good slice the work Lakrillo does is to sort through the mountain of bugs for repeats/already fixed things. This is not "getting" at anyone just another way to say thanks to the people who are developing the client for the benefit of everyones experience (FOR FREE!!!).

Take care. Dalfort
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2010 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:

Ofc, and I didn't mean to put any pressure on you. It was simply my recommendation to include a possibility to allow an influence from the human side on it.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2010 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

First part is to iron out so that it won't happen.
But there will be ways for the admins to conceed games and things like that when it goes live. Hopefully by then, every case of game-locking will be gone, so we don't have to step back in a game as that could leave to unfair advantages.
 Jump to: