15 coaches online • Server time: 06:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Alias-Cba

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn´t think on any of the options you all exposed, and i´m still don´t have any stand opinion about it, but, if i´m not wrong, there are some situations where coachs would want use optional a skill and others that they don´t.

I don´t know if is possible to do that, but... what if there were profiles on each coach related to use skills optional or not ?.

It could be attached to coach or, i think due what i´ve reading, attached to the teams. Before playing a game you could set the skills that you want to be optional or not, and after that you start playing. In that way you would have all the posibilities covered and if the pop ups jump on any skill it would have been your choice.

It´s just a suggestion, as i said i don´t know how hard it would be implement it or even if it´s possible.

Sorry if i made any mistakes writing. English is not my mother tongue Very Happy.

Last edited by Alias-Cba on %b %19, %2010 - %15:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

tl;dr

--j

ImageImage
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
Ok, when you are getting pushed next to the sideline, or the push will result in a chainpush. That should cover most of the cases then.

That sounds like a great idea...
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO the client will never be perfect is the simple rule of "Skill use is not mandatory by default" is not solved. I have no problem with popups, i played a lot with BOTOCS, we learned to click on pushback, and we had no problemwith them. After one day of getting this implemented this topic is just to early... However, if you dont like it there are other options to do it right. For example:

* Personnaly I would prefer something like this one: You click on your player and on his skill which gets italic or underlined or stg. For until next turn that skill is optional and you get popup for using it when your player is part of something. And yes, you have to be fast to make Dodge optional before get chainpushed or pushed next to the MB/Tackle/PO monster. After End Turn or Turnover all of these skills get back to their normal state.

Those who abuse others by making every skill optional again and again will be blacklisted and ignore by others. Those who use it wisely will be called good coaches.

It has also the advantage of useing by the active coach to make Tackle optional to get a nice crowdpush possible if his oppo is not smart enough to also make his Dodge optional.

It would be good for tactics and it would make FFB more sophisticated.

All in all: I dont want a code to decide when i would exercise my right to use a skill or not which is not mandatory by the book.

Cheers,
RS
Naru1981

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

how about the currant bugs get top priority at moment so ffb can go live THEN when the ppl who are sorting bugs are free they could then look at these possible changes?

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

/seconded

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

fine, for the time being I'd like to have no implementation rather then a bad implementation then
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:54
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I take two very important things away form this thread:

1: BB at fumbbl is becoming a full attention game, i can no longer pop outside to smoke during my opponents turns.

2: The people i game with are often deeply sad, and care immensely about things that make me want to tear my eyeballs out. Really people, come on. Its a game. Instead of caring so deeply about the 2% advantage you can gain at the cost of everyones playability, why not go give someone a hug? tell someone you love them? enjoy a beautiful view, or smell a sweet scented flower?

life is too short for this.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think this could be neverending! So they decide to go along and sort this dodge subject. Then next week someone else decides i want this changing now. When will it end?

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Anything that makes people don't want to play zons is a good thing.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

RamonSalazar wrote:

* Personnaly I would prefer something like this one: You click on your player and on his skill which gets italic or underlined or stg. For until next turn that skill is optional and you get popup for using it when your player is part of something. And yes, you have to be fast to make Dodge optional before get chainpushed or pushed next to the MB/Tackle/PO monster. After End Turn or Turnover all of these skills get back to their normal state.

This.

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

why not go give someone a hug? tell someone you love them? enjoy a beautiful view, or smell a sweet scented flower?

I've just given someone a hug while at work, in the middle of splitting up wiv da mrs so i'll pass on number 2, i'm sat in the city centre so will ogle at some ladies (and no thats not why i'm splitting up wiv da mrs), i'll pass on the last idea (I suffer from hayfever)

I actually feel a lot better...ah!

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
I take two very important things away form this thread:

1: BB at fumbbl is becoming a full attention game, i can no longer pop outside to smoke during my opponents turns.

2: The people i game with are often deeply sad, and care immensely about things that make me want to tear my eyeballs out. Really people, come on. Its a game. Instead of caring so deeply about the 2% advantage you can gain at the cost of everyones playability, why not go give someone a hug? tell someone you love them? enjoy a beautiful view, or smell a sweet scented flower?

life is too short for this.

You know what, I do get you (and others like you, I've just selected this post at random really). But I do also think that this is important. Please correct me if I’m wrong PC, but I think I’m right in saying you don’t play a lot of tabletop? I must confess, until I started playing much more, the ‘optional’ skill use thing didn’t seem a big deal to me, either.

It isn't just about getting Frenzied off the field, or OTS attempts, it's more subtle than that with chainpushes mid turn somewhere or whatever, so programming it such that only specific situations are effected is really not going to do the job. Neither is optionally pressing Push, really.

The solution that would keep everyone happy is some sort of tick box upon kickoff. What about on the ‘Team x is playing team y, is this correct?’ popup, putting a tick box on the bottom. If you don’t uncheck the box, you don’t get a Dodge popup. That way, you have to opt in every game, so you only use it if it’s important to you. If you’re the type that’s going to get annoyed and wants to concede that OTS or get your player surfed, away you go.

Frankly, I’d agree with the theme of pedantry you’ve brought up there if this were 6 months after the client going live and there were a bunch of pedantic people wanting Kalimar to go back into the code and make this significant fiddle. But that’s not where we are, we are pre kickoff, and as such, this is the sort of stuff we can get nerdy about to make the game as complete as possible. We all get miffed when we get diced, and that is because we care more than we should. I, you, and everyone reading this knows they care too much, and as such we’re idiots, but that is the same idiocy that makes me want this to be right.

I’m not going to throw my toys out of the pram if Dodge as an optional skill gets dropped. I’ll still play when we’re go, and I’ll never bring it up again. But whilst we’re in pre-go, it’s important, in my mind, to get it right. I think this is a situation (‘optional use of dodge’) that will come up at least four in every ten games past TV130, and as such, it needs to go in. I would also be a bit depressed if this became a pseudo-forum vote, they never end well...

Lastly, does this not come under the site 'We stay as close as possible to the rulebook' thing? If there is a mechanism there to do it, it should be done.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
tl;dr

--j

tl:dr

--f

Post   Posted: Dec 19, 2010 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't want any real-time components in the game (he who clicks the fastest wins).

In fact I am thinking of adding all those popups into a single block dialog. When deciding which block die to use the attacker can also choose which of his skills to use (a checkbox per skill, activated by default). This results in a block dialog on the defenders side with all his skillchoices (depending on the block result). So u may deselect dodge and sidestep at the same time. Still a popup, but only a single one.
 Jump to: