30 coaches online • Server time: 12:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I just payed a game with High Elves and I made a pass with my Thrower but my opponent intercepted it. The client automatically rolled Safe Throw which failed then it asked if i wanted to re-roll the Safe Throw roll. I said yes and it failed again so my opponent intercepted it. But I didn't know if the pass was successful or not in the first instance - the Pass roll hadn't been made yet (at least I couldn't see it in the text) so I couldn't tell whether or not I should use my Re-roll for the safe throw.

Is this the correct order for this sequence to occur in?

Because I thought it should be pass roll > interception roll > Safe throw roll.

I just watched the reply back and it happened in turn 3/4 2nd half and the interception roll came first as soon as I selected who to pass to. Isn't the pass roll meant to come first incase I fumble it?

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if correct is a right word, but its how it goes in rulebook: Interception => safe throw => pass.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

You roll interception first. It's in the rules.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that is the correct sequence, intercept is done before the passroll for simplicity as otherwise it would come up discussions if the ball scattered away and which line the throw would take and so on.
Also it ups the amount of interceptions slightly as you can intercept on a throw that would otherwise be a fumble.
I think there even is a FAQ about it in the CRP rulebook if i recall right.
cmelchior

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You role for interception before you roll for pass, check the FAQ at the end of the rulebook - and yes it's stupid.
Olesh

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

cmelchior wrote:
You role for interception before you roll for pass, check the FAQ at the end of the rulebook - and yes it's stupid.

One of the situations where ease of gameplay trumps reality. Remember, the rules were designed for a board game situation - it has to be relatively quick and easy to figure out. Passing is already complicated enough.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I just found that, and I agree that is without doubt the stupidest rule in the game lol it doesnt make any sense. It shows how rarely i play with teams that pass.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Olesh wrote:

One of the situations where ease of gameplay trumps reality. Remember, the rules were designed for a board game situation - it has to be relatively quick and easy to figure out. Passing is already complicated enough.

But all it should be, is if you fumble it then no interception can be made anything else and it can. Where is the complication?

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Should be applied on normal passes, too: If the catcher catches the ball, the throw must have been accurate. Far easier, you can skip any passing skills. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If my pass is off-target, then potential a straightline between passer and where the ball ends up would NOT go over your interceptor. Do we then pick interceptor after throw? Does that mean we can't guarantee a no interception path for the throw?

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Safe throw rules!
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear fumbbl friends. Please RT*M!

They explain in the rulebook why they do this and that they know it does not represent "logic" for the sake of game balance / interception fun.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesnt anymore you need to pass a 3+ roll if your an elf. Not very good really.

Macavity wrote:
If my pass is off-target, then potential a straightline between passer and where the ball ends up would NOT go over your interceptor. Do we then pick interceptor after throw? Does that mean we can't guarantee a no interception path for the throw?

It should just go like this declare a pass. Roll for pass. If it fumbles end of turn. If it is succeful then declare interceptor along that path. if the throw is not succesull work out which way the ball goes then declare the interceptor in that path if there is one. It seems pretty simple to me and it makes sense.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Your description means that I cannot know there is no possibility for interception prior to throwing. That would tend to limit throwing even more, and throwing is something the designers want in the game.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should determine the arc of ball and the point at which the defensive player attempting the interception is standing. Then compare the height of the pass at that point to how tall the player stands according to racial metrics to determine whether the interception attempt will require leaving their feet or simply reaching up. The strength of the player added to a 1d6 roll will determine how high they can jump and an agility roll will determine whether or not they timed any necessary leap correctly. VLLs should give a bonus to the leaping roll, but I'm not so sure about the timing roll. This is of course done within a logic sequence of passing rolls.

This will be much more realistic and should be implemented at once. Discuss.

Jump to: