58 coaches online • Server time: 16:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gotte

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally 30-40% feels like to much. Inducements is always worse then what you would otherwise get for your tv. a 40% difference for a rookie team would be very close to impossible and demand a lot of luck for a rookie team to overcome.

I dont see the whole problem with the chaos pact team. If i compare that team to other I got at the same tv I simply dont see it as a really hard team to beat. I'm sorry but I dont. Get 1 or 2 key players off the pitch or essentially kept out of the game by being marked/knocked down really but's a big dent in their game. And they only got str 3 and av8.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well - two things.

a) If you're got a division who's entire schtick (sorry for the pun) is a bot that matches fair games, I just don't see the need for upping the Inducement filter. The point is that the games are 'fair'. If we retian all of these lapsed and returning coaches, [R] might not need too much dancing, although I do see the dilemma.

b) The OP team is by no means unstoppable, it's just an example.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I still think it isn't a problem. Yes the team is competitive, but so as an all dodge wood elf team in the Box. Are we suggesting therefore that wood elf teams should be limited to the number of players they give dodge?. Or Are we suggesting that bad team builds should be rewarded with easier games? Wouldn't this just lead to those killer teams, for which winning is secondary, to be more likely to be drawn aganist poorly made teams, and therefore more than likely newbie teams?

The box is a competitive division, Ranked is the place for fun teams, unless you don't mind those fun teams losing. Personally i would never build a team like that, i would find it boring. But i also think to punish people for making competitive teams is counter-productive. In ranked there has always been a large part of min/maxing to get the best out of your players for a tournement, it is not a new thing. In the Box there was always the arguement of whether the attribute increases were worth the TS, how is this any different? I was never a big fan of TS, i felt it punished good team building, had too many flaws in how it costed players. Bad skill choices should not be rewarded with easier games.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't see much of an issue here either.

There was a problem with rookie Amazon teams, there was a problem with cheap DP on Zombies, Norse are still good at low TV, Wood Elves are still very tough to beat at high TV, Dwarves with 10 Guards can still be very difficult to break down.

The point is, no system is perfect, but I think TV is a lot closer than TS (where you had to pay extra for DP, Multiple Guards or even Blodge) and now how you manage your team really will have an impact on the difficulty of the game you get.

As for teams hovering around 1000 TV, odds are you will be out of their range in 2 matches, so unless you intend to delete the team if you don't get off to a perfect start then just enjoy the games until you get to the TV you enjoy.

As it is, I seem to enjoy games with my Rats around the 1700 to 1800 mark (I don't know why), but you can be sure that for most teams there is a sweet spot on the TV where you might or might not have the edge.

I guess another question is, would you rather play the 1050 Pact team, or a Dwarf team that has picked up it's first 2 skills?
MrStick

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all up for randoming the draw. And yeah maybe make it 20%
Ancre

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I still fail to see where is the problem. People already tried to abuse the TS system to get advantageous matches in the Box, and they will try to get the most out of TV as well, and out of that Tournament Weight too, and basically every team ranking system one can ever imagine, 'cause that's what they do. So the real question is : is TV a good enough ranking system for the Box ? For me I'd say it is.

And the example team doesn't look that scary to face, even with a rookie team honestly. But cool name.
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

So is the issue now that the 15% TV diffrence cap is not large enough?

Moving the TV diffrence cap to 30-40% would give coaches a better shot at gettng a match when there is a low number of teams activated BUT one of the founding principals of the scheduler was an attempt to get as close to even as possible match ups, we can debate TV and the fairness concept but that is secondary, so by increasing the range the more unbalanced the matches would become and erode one of the concepts of the scheduler.

And increasing the TV cap just so it could generate more Inducement money to play with, well that makes no sense IMO. And if the moaning about this is primarily coming from the moot and the lack of inducement money to purchase a chef....well who ever listen's to a stunty to begin with and if you do, you actually take it serious?

And on a side note that relates to the original post: yes attempting to keep this kinda of on topic.

What would happen to that devious Chaos Pact team that Foulscumm linked IF lets say the TV cap was increased to 40% and that team had to run a gauntlet of Dorf, Dorf, CD, Chaos and Pact teams all at the max 40% diffrence...oh sure they would get a nice pile of cash to play with but would the team be able to survive the punishment they would receive fromt those 5 teams all in a row, would they even have a team left to rebuild?

Last edited by PainState on %b %01, %2011 - %19:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
So is the issue now that the 15% TV diffrence cap is not large enough?

I hope that's not the issue.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

All marauder Pact teams did not kill the Box previously, and won't do so this time, though they may help it along a tiny bit at higher TV values. The big issue is still the 'usual suspects'.

A few boring games in a row versus Dwarfs makes me want for Ranked to switch to FFB.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2011 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

There are plenty of "copy-cat" All Marauder + Dark Elf teams out there now ...

You still need to be a very good coach to get a decent winning record.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=642872

Oscar Wilde
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2011 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree it's not broken good; you need to be decent as well. But it helps! Smile
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=642529

Personally I would shave of the horns. Razz

Last edited by Overhamsteren on %b %05, %2011 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

These teams make me sad Sad, I think it is about time a minimum TV cap was put in place for ranked and black box, make it 900 tv.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I have wins with my pact team

Nuff said

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 17:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
I am cassandra.

Absolutely Silly, you are and were.

But you also slightly miss the point. People will game the TV system, at every level with every race.

But other people wont.

People will define their own goals. Fumbblers will find the best way soon enough, in any system, with any rule set, in tourneys, in open play, in scheduled play.

So?

Other Fumbblers will spot it and either choose to counter it, ignore it or join it. And they will rant about it.

And the flowers will grow, and the seasons turn. And mostly people will find a way to have fun, and sometimes there will be traumas, and bad haircuts. And we will all get older, and rarely wiser.

And Fumbbl will endure.

Jump to: