44 coaches online • Server time: 00:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: May 04, 2011 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

hello folks, i will shortly be enrolling on a Web Designer and Developer course to help me in a change of career and i was wondering if there are any Fumbblers that currently do this for a living? Would be nice to have a chat with people and get some "real-life" feedback on what the job is like.

Thanks
John
koadah

Post   Posted: May 18, 2011 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I sure there are loads but it seems they don't visit off topic. Wink

I am a developer but not a designer. Wink

Post   Posted: May 18, 2011 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Poor old off-topic, it got put beneath the Archive. Very Happy

I've done some web design, but very little development. Drop my a PM if you have questions and I will try and answer.

Post   Posted: May 18, 2011 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

hello gents Smile i dont have any technical questions as such but i would appreciate your thoughts on the learning package and qualifications i will be doing over the next year..

1st year Courses-

1. Learning HTML, CSS, SEO, XML and Javascript
2. Adobe Photoshop Associate qualification
3. Adobe Flash Associate qualification
4. Adobe Dreamweaver Expert qualification

2nd year Courses-

1. SQL Express
2. Relational Database Design
3. ASP.Net in VB 2008 or C#2008
4. MCTS .NET Framework 3.5 ASP.NET Applications
5. MCPD ASP.NET Developer 3.5
6. MCITP Database Developer
7. CompTIA A+ and Network+

well thats pretty much it. im just really after someone to confirm that having these qualifications will give me a good starting base from which to work with. are any of these skills something you have been asked about in interviews etc?

ive just found out that a friend on one of my car club forums is a freelance web designer and he has none of these qualifications and is purely self-taught. so his portfolio of work i imagine must be pretty impressive to help him get jobs without formal qualifications.

thanks for taking the time to read this Smile

cheers
john
koadah

Post   Posted: May 19, 2011 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you program? Have you built anything?

Is this a reputable college? What are they charging for all this?

Are you leaning more towards the designer or developer sides?

I don't have any of those. Though maybe I should. Wink

Are they teaching you to be ready for work or just to pass the exams? Wink

IMO the developer qualifications look good but you will still be in the line behind people with experience but none of those qualifications.
You can download express versions of Visual Studio and SQL Server for free from the Microsoft site. http://www.asp.net/web-forms

There are many free videos here too http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/. And you can take the free trial here http://www.pluralsight-training.net/microsoft/

Post   Posted: May 19, 2011 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Self-taught freelance designer doesn't mean anything. Good code is good code and bad code is bad code. Both get jobs, unfortunately. If you don't have anyone holding you to standards, you can write however you want. As koadah said, do you want to be a designer or a developer? the first year courses will help you with design, the 2nd year will help you with development. Although if you start for any large corporation, there's no way you'll be using all those ones in the 2nd year.

If you want to free-lance and work on small projects by yourself, you'll find most of those courses useful, except maybe the networking (although maybe still the networking).

If you join a corporation, you'll probably need one or more of these skill-sets, depending on company size:
Image/logo design - photoshop/flash
Website design - html, css, xml, javascript, asp.net (+ maybe dreamweaver)
Back-end/middleware development - .net, c#, vb (ugh), knowledge of sql
Database development - all the database stuff
Networking - networking

The last 3 generally don't have much to do with the web development, but in a small company, or developing by yourself, you'll need to do more than 1 role.
darkwing2k6

Post   Posted: May 19, 2011 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the replies. Personally im not swaying to either designer or developer. I am going to complete the courses and along the way i will know what is interesting me more but will still have a good foundation in all aspects.

The training is provided by the National IT Learning Centre www.nitlc.co.uk

aswell as training they also do career transition to help you with cv and finding a job.
 Jump to: