28 coaches online • Server time: 13:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

** Milford from the GLT **

Well the talk at the pubs is about the Legion dumping some players to negate the inducements of the Empire for the Final match. The scuttlebutt around the wattering holes is that the legion has made a titanic mistake.

The majority fall in the should of stood pat and not done a thing.

The minority thinks he should have blown his 280,000 GC and hired a wizard and a chainsaw..the theory being that helps his team and the Empire would have just got a star out of it and taken his team to 12 players.

The vast minority like this approach that the legion have taken.

IMO the legion just made it easier for the Empire to win the match..By going down to a 12 man roster now they also have to watch the fouls, could short man themselves, and IF the empire get some lucky shots in, well they might just get shortmanned against the elves and seal their own fate. Bottom line....By dumping players the legion weakened themselves and just helped out the Empire.

But in the end it is just talk over a few pints of beer. Lets see how it all plays out on the pitch and see who takes home the GLT trophy.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I can foresee many ways I can lose the final. Getting short-manned by MB-less High Elves is quite a ways down the list.

IMO, the most likely causes of losing (specific to this match):
1. Defensive TD by the elves via...
a. ...a Blitz!
b. ...a failed pickup.

2. Loss of OT coin-flip and elves receive/score.
3. One-turn TD
4. Screening elf defense prevents me scoring on my drive
5. Elves fouling us off the pitch and winning easily, 3-0 or more.

Most likely roads to victory:
1. Blood. Lots of it, and (nearly?) all of it elf blood.
2. Force the elves to score, and we score T8 both halves.
3. Blitz! + shallow kick
4. Elves play risky and snake something important

If I were to have kept a -AG/-AV POMBer with no Tackle, he'd have been largely useless against 9 blodging elves. My -MA/Block/Guard/SS goblin is great fun and has been a loyal teammate, but he's not much for TTMs anymore with the -MA, and he's 120TV all by himself. If I had left Jock with a wizard, I'd have put that as reason 1a. for a loss.
Randy_Moss

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

But when is the game?!?!?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2011 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Randy_Moss wrote:
But when is the game?!?!?

As the thread and blog both show: 5:00pm EDT (23:00 bbtime for those not living in the eastern US).
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats to Maysrill, edging Jock 2-1 last night after a pivotal Overtime Blitz! allowed Superstar Blitzer Saurfang II to see the ball home and claim the trophy.

Was a great Tournament all round, and I think a few people were surprised to see an Orc team prevail in the CRP era.

Personally I thought it was very nice to see a final 8 composed of 8 different races, and there were some great matchups where inducements made for very fun games.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Congratz on the win. And welcome to the club.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
I think a few people were surprised to see an Orc team prevail in the CRP era.

I wasn't. Maysrill's team was very nice, he's a good coach (he beat me, after all Wink), and R has not been over-run by clawpomb yet.

Things may have changed by the next major.
Randy_Moss

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Picking is the last line of defense against CPOMB.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Since this is the prediction thread, here's mine for the future of majors:

Elves. There is just something timeless about the ability to move all over the place and do whatever you want with the ball. Elves aren't going to win every major, certainly, but I'd be shocked if in a given final 4, 2 weren't elves.

Clawbombers need not apply. I think 1-2 making the finals is probably about right. When they run into the huge elf teams I don't think enough of them have answers for A) a deep bench of AV4 players and B) A solid balling game for when "blood for the blood god" doesn't solve all problems. The best claw team for a major is probably one heavy on Guard, with a +AG, +ST, or +ST/+AG ball handler with Sure Hands, and 2-3 killers. Also, I think Ranked is doing a fair job of limiting the number and development of these types of teams; people really just don't enjoy playing them with Major-sized teams (spend months prepping your team and want to play one bound and determined to saddle you with 8+ cas? no thx)

Chaos Dwarfs. You didn't see many developed CRP CD teams this go-round. Many of the old guard are still LRB4-built. I think they'll do a bit better in the LC (which I believe PC confirmed is next) as more have built up a bit with Claw/PO and ditched their minos.

Orcs. I think so long as the clawbomb teams don't become too common, orcs will remain a viable option for majors. The av9 still gives them better staying power than most other races, and I think the "typical" big orc build is better suited to facing elves than the clawbombers are (more Guard, more Tackle, generally, CD's with clawbombers being a notable exception).

I managed to make it through the whole major with a single SI. I never dominated a game, and won every one by a single TD, several in OT. I don't think this means we're still in the "age of orcs", but I certainly think they're solid enough to get lucky and win.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

** Milford from the GLT **

Well the place is clearing out now like rats running from a sinking ship. What a final match..it had it all, drama, tension and a great finish...All the things you want in a final.

Congrats to the Legion for finishing strong and taking home the Championship...I fully expect to see a chainsaw wielding loony on the legion in the next major.

Well off to the Lustrian...no rest for Milford.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2011 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
a deep bench of AV4 players.

Wish this wasn't a typo Smile Imagine facing a bench of AV4!

I would add Chaos to your list, but a more interesting version with various mutations rather than exclusively clawpomb. I have began building such a team, but haven't got past the part where everyone takes block yet. I plan to see who rolls stats etc and build round that and only have two or three killers.
 Jump to: