35 coaches online • Server time: 10:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

There's been a solid decline in participation for weekly Scheduled Smacks over the past few months. To be fair, it's been a little longer that, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not here to debate why the decline has happened, nor am I here to debate whether or not [B] should get their own smacks. If you want to chime in on [B] Scheduled Smacks conversations, please feel free to check out the thread that koadah tossed up some time back.

I'm curious to know what the community thinks would help reinvigorate interest in Scheduled Smacks. We've done our best to make sure the community is aware of the application list from week to week, and the history of that shows the noticeable decline. This time, last year, we would receive over 100 apps each week, and now we struggle for even half of that.

Obviously during major draw weeks, the applications are going to be distinctly less, but on off-weeks I'd like to find ways to increase the population. Smacks have always been a way to fix the tournament itch without getting involved in drawn-out majors, but right now they're just going through a lull that I hope can be fixed in the long run.

So please, feel free to throw out your opinions on the environment, and let us know what we can do to peak your interest in the tournament system.

--j

ImageImage
JockMcRowdy

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

ive not been applying because ive constantly been involved in majors, but i might build up some more teams and get them applying. team awesome will be applying this week.

i dont think they belong in the box

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it was Shadow who brought up the [B ] Open smack. Smile

IMO the idea works just as well in [R] but competes against the TV restricted smacks.

The upside is that you only need 8 teams to kick it off instead having nothing starting because teams are spread over multiple categories.

TV categories seem a bit LRB4. It's all inducements now baby. Wink
I wants me a wizard!

I don't see what is wrong with doing it in [B ] as well though. It's only 8 teams and we can't even say that [B ] is killing [R] any more. Wink
(Jock started it Wink )

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ite because all the people that used to play scehd smacks are now playing normal smacks again. Ohh waith a minute here...

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to apply to three or four categories every week. Now I simply don't play ranked.

I'd imagine this is why a lot of people don't enter as well?

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in Jock's boat. It's hard to schedule around a lot of 5 and 6-timezone mis-matches for games, so I try to limit myself to one tourney at a time. I've been tied up constantly with majors, so the need for a SMACK has been reduced. Once I'm out of the LC (unless it's another deep run), I'll be looking at the Legend smacks (the rest don't hold much interest for me...maybe the occasional Elite).

In short: blame my orcs.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed a lot of new people in IRC. My guess is that Fumbbl has "turned over" a good portion of its roster of coaches and the problem is mainly one of awareness among all the new faces.

I would suggest an informational news post on the front page. Explain all the who, what, where, when & whys and maybe link a new thread to help answer question and generate discussion. Approach it as if most people would be playing in their 1st Smack, because I think that might prove to be the case.

You have a great product, the marketing just needs a bit more energy until things get rolling again.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think team management used to help much more in entering the old smacks.

If you got to Tuesday and saw your team at 152 TR, you could just drop 20k and enter a 150TR smack, now it takes much more planning to get under the TV limit and if you have already set your team, there is nothing you can do until you play another match (unless you enter a higher Smack outgunned).

(N.B. I do not play smacks, or ranked any more, just trying to offer suggestions on issues)
Qaz

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Duno about that I been trying to enter a legend smack with my 1600 TV team for some time. I will get inducements for the rest so it does not scare me so much.

Could have some thing to do with before people often had cash to burn and an option to burn cash on stars was to enter a smack.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Azure

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Possible solutions:

1. Increase the reward.

2. Widen the TW bands.

Reasons:
1. Simple enough that the greater the reward, the more likely people are to respond. However, making it too high would create issues none of us want. Instead - something like: 1 bonus MVP + 150k gold.

1b. Another possibility which I think would be too much work, but I will toss it out there. The winner of the smack gets the reward above plus may remove 1 injury to any player that was hurt DURING the smack. This would encourage a wider variety of folks to apply I think.

2. Widen the bands means greater amount of inducements and greater number of teams in each smack category.

TW 0 - 1400 Is Experienced Smack
TW 1410 - 1750 Is Pro Smack
TW 1760 --> Is Legend Smack

*Also, I appreciate the messages each week - as when I see them, I go and make sure my teams have applied.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

One issue that I have not seen mentioned here yet is the cash problem. Teams with a little history under their belt seem to be mostly very rich. This brings about a problem with the TW bands and many coaches will not want to enter their TV 170 teams with 350k in the bank into a Legend Smack.

I have to say I'm quite happy with the number of applications I get for the current XFL Cycle, and the main difference between the two that I can think of is the TW issue.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with the I don't play Ranked any more...shame on me.

But I have a little suggestion:
In the new theme, instead of Tournaments undre Game, put Tournaments separate, and under that one of the entries for Sched Smacks.
somertown

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Cribbleobblepie wrote:
I used to apply to three or four categories every week. Now I simply don't play ranked.

+1.

Loved scheduled smacks, but prefer blackbox to ranked for one-off game finding. Wish I didn't have to make the choice, but I reluctantly select [b] and limited tourneys over [r] and lots of tourneys.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
I'm in Jock's boat. It's hard to schedule around a lot of 5 and 6-timezone mis-matches for games, so I try to limit myself to one tourney at a time. I've been tied up constantly with majors, so the need for a SMACK has been reduced. Once I'm out of the LC (unless it's another deep run), I'll be looking at the Legend smacks (the rest don't hold much interest for me...maybe the occasional Elite).

+1

Azure wrote:
Possible solutions:

1. Increase the reward.

2. Widen the TW bands.

+1 to both

Winning a little money (maybe 50k?) would be very nice for teams that suffer from spiralling expenses but need some cash to replace a positional or something.

koadah wrote:
TV categories seem a bit LRB4. It's all inducements now baby. Wink
I wants me a wizard!

+1

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2011 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

i am a BIG lover of tournaments

My thoughts about the reason smacks scheds are dead are:

1.-Cause most people play B.

2.-People dont believe there will be enought members to start one.I use to apply to 3 or 4 categories each week too, but lately am getting bit bored to get kicked each week, so some weeks i pass about apply

3.-So many categories, not so important now with the new client.

Solutions:

1.-Smacks sched in B (will have so many applications surely)
2.-Reduces categories as azure says
3.-Bring a categorie open too, without caps, this one will be the funiest one in my thoughts, and the one wich will apply most people, bet for 16-32 each week and give this smack a round or two more
 Jump to: