53 coaches online • Server time: 23:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2011 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Or combine DP with sneaky git as one general skill. But the site is using official rules. So ....
Wraith

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2011 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be ok with allowing other skills to be used on fouls... like mighty blow, piling on, claw, etc... It doesn't make much sense that you can't use those skills on a dirty hit. I see MB as hitting hard and I see DP as hitting vulnerable spots, you should be able to hit vulnerable spots just as hard as non-vulnerable spots. My issue with DP in LRB 4 was it's ease of access and minimal cost of investment. At least with C-POMB, you need to invest 3 skills into a single player to be killy.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2011 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

change DP to BH 100% + banned 100%.

Strategy ftw!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2011 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

That's not strategy. That's a brick.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2011 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanshin wrote:
change DP to BH 100% + banned 100%.

Strategy ftw!

Change it to 100% banned and auto inj roll, then it would be strategy choice.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2011 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently fouled with a slann lineman after a leap and was sorely disappointed that I did not get the PaulHicks +1. Stupid client...
Niebling

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2011 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Xanthania wrote:
I recently fouled with a slann lineman after a leap and was sorely disappointed that I did not get the PaulHicks +1. Stupid client...

must be a bug!

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2011 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Changing dp to the old "blatant foul" card would be hilarious but possible not the most balanced change. i think id be making lots of undead teams after that.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty Player should be a General Skill because it is something anybody should be able to do.
Adding a +1 on Sneaky Git to throw a bone to the Elves, Goblins and Flings etc would be worth it.
Should your Skaven, Human or Norse Linemen you have made into a DP should be lucky enough to roll a Double they could get Sneaky Git for that extra bit of Stomping Power.

Also I think the Eye isn't as realistic as the random chance that the Ref might have turned his head at the right or wrong moment to see or not see the Foul. I work as a Ref and I know for a fact that Refs sometimes don't see a Foul and sometimes they call Fouls that didn't occur. Sports Officiating at the highest levels is tough because of the speed of the players.

In American Football with 22 players on the Field in the same general 1 squared meter all moving at the same time it is not possible to see what each player is doing. We (as refs) do everything we can to determine who is watching which players in which part of the action in every moment but we cannot catch everything. If we see it... we will Flag it (Penalize it)... but we can't see every foul.

The Eye has a place more in a sport like Soccer where the action is usually relatively spread out and the few bad eggs can be easily identified and watched. Blood Bowl is based on an interpretation of American Football... and the players never really know when we are watching them more closely (like a Yellow Carded player in Soccer knows the Ref has their eye on them).

Making the Officiating Random on whether or not the Ref saw something works better for authenticity. The Randomness takes into account Refs that call the game differently... for example some allow more roughness than others AND makes allowances within the game for Ref's that may just suck at their job and blow alot of calls. A bad Ref sometimes Penalizes a team when no foul has occurred or maybe the Ref was bribed unbeknownst to the coaches by a fan not to toss out a player.

Because there is no safe 1st foul or Safe foul made while the Eye is on your opponent it is a better Deterent against fouling (which is a rules violation for the Players... despite it being totally legal for the coaches to foul when they want). Coaches on FUMBBL rarely foul on Turn 1 anymore because it isn't a nearly sure thing that they can foul safely. But Fouling still goes on and Fouling has a REAL RISK associated with it like any form of Dirty Play should.

Coaches can still choose to foul every turn if they want... and that strategy can still be very effective for them. There are always teams that tend to play outside the rules when they think they can get away with it.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
A bad Ref sometimes Penalizes a team when no foul has occurred

THAT's what BB needs!

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

At the BBRC meeting:
Genius 1) “Herp derp look I fixed fouling so it isn’t worth people doing it all the time anymore!!”
Genius 2) “ Lulz I just removed the eye and went back to 3rd edition rules that foulers and non foulers hated alike!!”
Genius 1) “Herp durp that’s cool. If der’s one thing no-one ever complains about it’s randomness”
Genius 2) “Hey you wanna hear my plan to stop those damn Ogre teams winning all the time?”

Gotta love the human knee-jerk reaction to stuff.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Geniuses!

Catalyst32 wrote:
Also I think the Eye isn't as realistic as the random chance that the Ref might have turned his head at the right or wrong moment to see or not see the Foul.

Yes, because real life is always the way to go with a game to make it fun right? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Timlagor wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
A bad Ref sometimes Penalizes a team when no foul has occurred

THAT's what BB needs!

I'm not suggesting that players should RANDOMLY be sent of for not reason.
I'm just suggesting that the current rules on the Ref and Banning of players are better than the Eye in deterring heavy fouling.
Although I do agree that fouling has been nerfed too much.

In the previous ruleset with the Eye there wasn't enough RISK in fouling and the REWARD for fouling was too reliable.
In the CRP ruleset the RISK in fouling is fair and appropriate but the REWARD for taking that risk often isn't worth it.

I don't want fouls to be something a coach can choose to do knowing this time it will be very safe to foul because I won't likely get thrown out. There should be a high risk of being thrown out on each foul.
At the same time the potential reward of taking that risk should be tantalizing. Your odds of doing damage to your opponents player should be high enough to encourage you to roll the dice and risk having your player tossed out.
Wraith

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
I'm not suggesting that players should RANDOMLY be sent of for not reason.
I'm just suggesting that the current rules on the Ref and Banning of players are better than the Eye in deterring heavy fouling.
Although I do agree that fouling has been nerfed too much.

In the previous ruleset with the Eye there wasn't enough RISK in fouling and the REWARD for fouling was too reliable.
In the CRP ruleset the RISK in fouling is fair and appropriate but the REWARD for taking that risk often isn't worth it.

I don't want fouls to be something a coach can choose to do knowing this time it will be very safe to foul because I won't likely get thrown out. There should be a high risk of being thrown out on each foul.
At the same time the potential reward of taking that risk should be tantalizing. Your odds of doing damage to your opponents player should be high enough to encourage you to roll the dice and risk having your player tossed out.

I agree 100%.

I think fouling should be risky and also feel that the reward is a bit lacking, I just don't want to see a single skill investment being over-powered again (like DP was in LRB4). It was a no-brainer to take only DP on a linemen type and trade that lineman for opposing positional players (which may or may not have had a lot of SPP as well).

I think allowing skills other than merely DP, to be usable on fouls, would balance the risk vs reward nicely. Skills such as claw, MB and PO.

I'm all for skill stacks operating at full effectiveness, you invested in the skills after all.

All that said, I still feel that a small adjustment to piling on would be nice as well... make it only usable against opposing players with a lower strength score or on a foul attempt. That would make big guys the true killers on the pitch and still give the non-big guy players a reason to take the skill. The increased effectiveness in fouling would make up the reduced saturation of piling on, when it comes to keeping the amount of blood at it's current level. Yet, neither route would be clearly superior to the other IMHO, most coaches would have to do a bit of both to maintain optimal blood-letting.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2011 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Fully agree on that.

Giving sneaky git +1 injury rolls also sounds intresting.
 Jump to: