47 coaches online • Server time: 11:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 11:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As many of you have noted, there has been another coach rank change. Over the last few days, I have been working on redesigning how rankings are calculated. The formula itself is pretty much the same still, but there are a few minor tweaks. I will not publish the exact formula this time though, so if you're interested, you have to figure it out for yourself.

However, the basic concept remains the same: Winning against a high CR opponent will gain you more CR than winning against a low CR opponent.

The major change that is seen comes from the fact that there are now a number of different rankings per coach:

1. Total, overall ranking. This is a combined ranking for B and R and is the one currently showing on the coach pages.
2. Divisional ranking. This is effectively what used to be CR for R and BWR for B.
3. Racial ranking. This is a ranking for all games played using a particular race, regardless of division
4. Racial ranking per division. This is the same as above, but split into each division as well. The R version of this figure was somewhat available prior to the change.

This means there are up to 75 different rankings per coach.

Although the transition is not fully complete at this time, I chose to push this out as-is for now since the old CR is no longer updated. The underlying calculations are fully operational, but there are a number of pages which still show the old numbers (match pages and the list of coaches for example).

I am planning to give coaches the ability to choose which ranking to display on their overview, but this will unfortunately take a bit of time.

Those of you who have a deep interest in CR and the ranking system are welcome to check their ranking development and notify me of any strange issues.

To assist you with that, there are a few chart options that are not linked from anywhere, but you can still access them by hand:

Normal CR graph:
https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=3

CR graph for the Ranked division:
https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=3&d=1

CR graph for the Blackbox division:
https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=3&d=10

CR graph for Khemri:
https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=3&r=51

CR graph for Khemri in Ranked:
https://fumbbl.com/p/coachdevel?c=3&r=51&d=1

All charts are showing a weekly average CR per point.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

I am planning to give coaches the ability to choose which ranking to display on their overview, but this will unfortunately take a bit of time.

Can you decide not to display any ranking?
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the combinded Box/Ranked rating should always be displayed. I should be the same for all coaces. It is some orientation help and should be clear to everyone when looking on a players profile. I would be happy to see all other rankings on the statistics page for each player.

Greetings

Smeesh

Last edited by Smeesh on Nov 11, 2011 - 13:01; edited 1 time in total
spinball

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

wow this is cool...need to get some sleep though to really get it....Thanks a bunch Christer
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I just noticed when using http to acces the site all charts (at least overall, ranked and bb) show the overall chart. As soon as you switch to https different charts are shown.

What strikes me as odd about the values is this:

- on my overview it says 172
- the chart for overall ranking says 173.18 as last entry
- the chart for ranked says 156.91
- the chart for bb says 165.60

So there are two discrepancies, the first being a difference between the last chart value and the current value. Though I guess that has the cause as it had from the start that the latest adjustment is not shown in the chart.

The second one is that my overall ranking is way higher than each of the other two rankings. That just does not seem right to me. Shouldn't the overall value be somewhere between the two values it is composed of? Maybe not exactly in the middle but still somewhere in between.

But all in all a nice addition Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeesh wrote:
Well the combinded Box/Ranked rating should always be displayed. I should be the same for all coaces. It is some orientation help and should be clear to everyone when looking on a players profile. I would be happy to see all other rankings on the statistics page for each player.

Greetings

Smeesh

I disagree,

For coaches with 5 ranked games and 300 box games or vice versa, displaying the combined ranking makes little sense.
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the 5 ranked would not realy do much. But that depends on how the combined ranking is calculated. If it´s on a match base it´s fine, if its something like the average of both rankings it will often be not apropriate.

Greetings

Smeesh

Last edited by Smeesh on Nov 11, 2011 - 13:59; edited 1 time in total
Thanshin

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Now we need a way to order ongoing games by combined coaches ranking.
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'll take a look at the caching of charts. Https disables caches by design and is the way I access the site at all times, so it's quite possible that there's an issue with caching. Shift-reloading the page should update it in HTTP if that's the case.

The charts show weekly averages rather than the latest value, which is why the last value is not identical to the value on your overview (which is the actual current ranking).

Finally, the combined ranking is a completely separate set of rankings and not an average, which is why it can be either higher or lower than the divisional rankings. As an example:

Coach A: 140 in B, 160 in R, 150 combined
Coach B: 150 in all rankings

These two play in the blackbox and coach B wins the game. This will give coach B a ranking as follows:

Coach B: 150.5 in B, 150 in R, 151 combined.

I'm not saying there's no chance of bugs, but this situation is not completely out of the question.
DanielM75

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

A weighted average can be used, rather than an average of an average.
i.e. B CR of 160, R CR of 150 is 155 with average of average.
But, using the_Sage's concern, using a weighted average it would become cery close to 160 in this example.
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes it must be weighted. Otherwise it makes no sense in manny situations.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
Christer wrote:

Can you decide not to display any ranking?

Would be my choice too.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Are league games included in the combined ranking?
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

League has no ranking, so no.
Kelkka

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2011 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice, thank you Christer!

Suggestion:
How about making a page which summarizes your rankings in one page?
For example table with 3 colums (ranked, box, overall) and rows for each race separately and over all combined?
 Jump to: