41 coaches online • Server time: 00:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I know that it will never happen but one day if the tool is finished then maybe the rules at: http://www.sg.tacticalwargames.net/fanatic/65st.pdf could be programmed in as an amazing option.

After getting used to playing with these rules I can never go back and it would be amazing to see the Fummbl tool using them.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds kind of interesting, but not at all the same ballgame.
Having a good lone passer outside opponent pressure seems vital, and playing bashers seems very hard.

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, dwafs in particular struggle so I found that it needed some tweaking to be balanced (which I know spells certain doom for the rules in fummbl) but it plays so differently and so much more like a real sporting event that it is great.

As I said, I hold out no real hopes for it but if nothing else at least more people can see the rules.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... that seems more than just simultaneous turns. But a simultaneous turn format would be fun. Like where each coach declares actions blindly, one at a time, with action priority going to Blocks before Move and special actions resulting in no squares (stand up, recover, pass or handoff from where you are) before movement before actions after movement (or further movement after blitzes), with a 1d6+AG rolloff if two players are acting at the same priority. To keep the game from getting unbalanced in favor of speed, rolling over stunned players must be done as actions, also one at a time.

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a cool concept alright... But it makes the game so radically different, that it needs a redesign to work.
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe something for LRB7. They "streamlined" it for lrb6, time to go the other way now Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2011 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be fun to try once in a while. I imagine the game would go a fair bit longer than a normal game would, since a 'turnover' doesn't void nearly some many moves.

I agree with Calthor that if a group of players played this enough some serious imbalances would become clear that would need fixing. This would diverge this variant of the game into a something much more different than just BB with simultaneous turns. It would be a fun game to play though!
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2011 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Do both players have an action deck or are all cards shuffled together?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2011 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

mattwakeman wrote:
Yes, dwafs in particular struggle so I found that it needed some tweaking to be balanced (which I know spells certain doom for the rules in fummbl) but it plays so differently and so much more like a real sporting event that it is great.

As I said, I hold out no real hopes for it but if nothing else at least more people can see the rules.

What tweaks did you find helped re-balance the game for teams like Dwarves?
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2011 - 06:40 Reply with quote Back to top

The skill Concentration could be combined with Pro as 1 skill.
But if your player uses it when "confused" he cannot reroll anything else during his action.
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2011 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wallace wrote:
What tweaks did you find helped re-balance the game for teams like Dwarves?

Bumped up MA by one across the board (as MA4 just killed them) and replaced tackle with stand firm. This meant that you could create a funnel effect by forcing other teams down the middle because the wings were so solid and mitigated the lack of pace somewhat.

There is no doubt that being a bash team is harder using simultaneous rules but don't forget that OTS takes some incredible luck as well. Overall scoring is much harder and 12 turn halves got the balance about right for me.

I know that it wouldn't be for everyone and whilst there is something amazing about watching coaches set-up chain pushes and the like this version puts the emphasis back on the players. So many times you have the wrong player in the right place that you just have to smile whilst wondering just when the +AG player will be able to actually do something helpful. It lessens the impact of coaches to an extent (though I still think that the better ones win more often as they should) but I would love to see it as a crazy option for the more jaded/adventurous coaches out there.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2011 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't really looked at this, certainly an interesting concept. However you know about Elfbowl right?
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2011 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

mattwakeman wrote:
So many times you have the wrong player in the right place that you just have to smile whilst wondering just when the +AG player will be able to actually do something helpful. It lessens the impact of coaches to an extent

I'm wondering whether you can still plan ANYTHING. Would seem fun to try sometime. If anyone near Amsterdam is interested, let me know. =P
 Jump to: