29 coaches online • Server time: 02:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Opinions on Tv Brackets for Flings/Gobbos.
Keep the brackets what makes stunties so special.
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Get rid of TV brackets i want to pick noobs like the good old days.
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Remove brackets for stunties they need the inducements.
35%
 35%  [ 15 ]
Remove brackets just for flings they can ONLY be competative with inducements.
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Home made fling PIE the very best there is.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 42

maysrill

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

RRR team concept?

After the brackets widen, I don't see the problem getting games. I tend not to offer many games with much for inducements, one way or the other, but I certainly accept them now and again, and against flings(?), why not? Smile
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

There will be no special rules for individual races. I think with the new dynamic TV limit, flings are viable as it is.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 14:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well how about a minimum tv bracket of +-100 at the moment a starting team of 900TV gets +-90 which makes it very hard to get games.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
Could you show me a 30+ game team you would want to play against with flings.

30+ games isn't quite right my chaos team is 21 games and 11/6/4 - 1610k(±600) so maybe around 15 games might make for a +-400 team?

Still it might often be rebound games with key players missing of course, my chaos team lacks a rookie chaos warrior.

Dunno I still think playing somewhat fair fling/gobbo games in Ranked is possible at the moment.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Can a 600TV team even schedule a game against any 'normal' rookie team?

Or do you force the flings to take more TV just so they can dump it all once they open up the range they can play at?

Even then, the range works both ways... Even if the 600TV flings could play a 1200TV team, it's doubtful the 1200TV team can play the flings. Assuming the 1200TV is a newish team anyway.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
RRR team concept?

Indeed, this is what i did a few times and one my attempts saw me beat dwarves and Lizardmen with that roster only to lose to dwarves in the semi final by a very very narrow margin, I think a 4+ with RR would have seen my tie the game and take it to over time -

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=653065

Join RRR with flings, it is the future Very Happy
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2012 - 19:57
FUMBBL Staff

licker wrote:
Even then, the range works both ways... Even if the 600TV flings could play a 1200TV team, it's doubtful the 1200TV team can play the flings. Assuming the 1200TV is a newish team anyway.

This is exactly the problem i dont understand why there needs to be + and - tv brackets if an old team that has the "experience" not to be picked want to play in the handicapped position why not? Most coaches agree that the inducements are not worth there TV anyway!

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2012 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it worth saying that the current TV brackets are 80% of the reason I dont play on FUMBBL any more?

I dunno, maybe that doesnt bother people but every single time I come back to play a couple of games I hit the TV brackets and give up in disgust. Granted, I havent played a huge amount of FUMBBL for several years now but its only since the TV brackets that I have stopped altogether, if they werent in place then I'd still be playing every now and again.

Halflings suffer especially badly from the rules. Lets examine how you build a halfling team...

1) a rookie halfling team needs to have two trees, ten halflings, and then it can have more halflings, some re-rolls, and an apothecary (not to mention FF, etc). This gives it a TV of anywhere from 540-1000. Any halfling team that follows these guidelines is at least semi-competitive. A plump TV1000 roster filled with RRs but lacking inducements probably isnt optimal just as a totally stark TV540 roster lacks the beef it needs to win as much as you might like but both exremes are viable (much like vampires who can flourish with anywhere from 2-6 vamps).

2) if you are me then you decide that a TV700 team is probably about right. You build the team, name the players, and are ready to go.

3) you find a nice game against another rookie team, lets say its a human team.

4) you discover that actually you cant play that game because nanny state rules dont allow you to play against a team with a TV higher than 770.

5) you realise that you will never get a game on FUMBBL.

What the hell?

In theory you could build a (lets be kind) moderately competitive team by spending the full million gold that your team starts with. On the other hand, why would you do that? In order to push your team to a point where you might actually get a game you have to actively handicap yourself by spending cash on re-rolls when you would be better served with inducements. Its ridiculous that one of the worst teams has to handicap itself just to be legal.

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
That team would beat most rookie teams with ease, unless you are intending to challenge dorfs or zons.

Yes that team would beat rookie teams.... no it would not be easy. Halflings were designed to play those kinds of matchups. There is probably a good argument for keeping new players from being ambushed by halflings but once both players have a bit of experience (lets say, 50 games on FUMBBL) I cant see why anyone needs to be protected from playing that kind of game.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2012 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

\o/ Silly!!!!

There are still 4 places up for grabs in the 145 Open League

NO LIMITS!

Bring your flings or gobbos if yer prefer. Wink

Edit: Don't let Jimmy steal another title. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2012 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

You could just do what I'm doing: run your fling team at TV900 and challenge only TV1000 rookie teams.

Then, once you hit 30 games, challenge everybody!!!
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2012 - 13:06
FUMBBL Staff

nazgob wrote:
Then, once you hit 30 games, challenge everybody!!!

You cant challenge everyone!

The team your challenging ALSO has to have played 30+ games. And how many TV1000 teams are there, remember if they are TV1010 you cant play them so a chaos team that is brand new is ok but a 1 game old one that picked up an ff is not.