100 coaches online • Server time: 22:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Question for the computer freaks:

Does someone know how much data is transfered during an average match?

I am about to go on a business trip for two months with no possibility to plug in my notebook to the internet in free time. Evil or Very Mad

As it is totally unacceptable not to play a match a day I became aware of a card for my notebook that makes an absotley wireless connection possible. Very Happy

The problem is you have to buy a data pack and they are very different in costs per month.

7mb = 7 euro - every further mb is 2,50
25mb = 25 euro - every further mb is 1,50
50mb = 50 euro - every further mb is 1,50

So - what do you think should I take? Question
AeoN2

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how much data is transferred, but I have one piece of advice you probably have already thought about... in options you can disable downloading opponents player pictures... this can save many kb...

--
AeoN2
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

In fact I didn´t know that... thx for that!
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think how much the actual date ammounts are, but i would assume its not excatly high, probably max few 100kb. its prolly pretty much only text messages going. So by not loading player pictures can save a lot of the total bandwidth usage. But as i said, i dont have any real "proof" of this...
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never actually looked myself, but I would venture a guess that an average game transfers a little more data than it writes to the log file (log files seem to be about 100k - 150k). But in not sure how much overhead there is in the packet headers and such. Most messages the game passes are much less than 1 kb. I guess I would say you could expext one game to take a about 500k - 600k. So maybe half a mb. I would guess you can get a few games in under 7mb, but don't hate me if I am wrong. Smile You also have to take into account the IRC traffic for finding the game and the fumbbl traffic for looking up opponent teams etc. Plus whatever in game text messages you guys send. I dunno, maybe you guys chat a WHOLE lot. Smile

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
Severian

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

A very hard question...but if you're a businessman, and you're going on a business trip, and you don't do this too often, why not just fork over the 50 Euro so you never have to think about it again? You get the best per MB rate if you go over 50, and you give yourself plenty of leeway to play as many games as you like without worrying about whether you've gone 'over the limit.'

There's my sound financial advice. BB is worth it Very Happy
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2004 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure you are researching other ISP services in the country (or countries) you are visiting. Whereabouts are you going, and will you be moving around? If you aren't going to be too mobile, you might be able to book an unmetered ISDN/cable/wireless modem service for two months (or more, it might still work out less - I believe they average out at 25-30 Euro/month, IIRC). I'm also sure there are coaches here living at your destination, tell us where you're going and they'll surely give you a few pointers.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

SkiJunkie wrote:
... can get a few games in under 7mb, but don't hate me if I am wrong. Smile

Wow, the man himself! For sure I will not, thx! Cool
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Severian wrote:
...but if you're a businessman, why not just fork over the 50 Euro so you never have to think about it again?

There's my sound financial advice. BB is worth it Very Happy

Who says I am a rich buisness man? Shocked
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
I'm also sure there are coaches here living at your destination, tell us where you're going and they'll surely give you a few pointers.

I live in Austria and haven´t met another coach of my country so far, except one, but he emigrated to Germany... Very Happy

And my trip embraces only Austria...
poi66

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2004 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a chance to test it now. I played a match which was a bit short because of the rookie teams we played. It lasted similarly an hour and it took 748kb on datatransfer (391kb received, 357kb sent) inkl. upload.

So 1mb datatransfer for one match sounds realistic. didn´t think it is that much... Crying or Very sad
 Jump to: