55 coaches online • Server time: 18:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I keep reading the rules for pass block and i can see how you are stuck on the range ruler but all it mentions are the 'legal destinations' which is a position to intercept(range ruler), an empty square that is the target of the pass(this should actually be where the ball is going to land before it bounces, like a kick off resolves) or with his TZ next to the thrower or catcher.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

@dsavillian: ah, but you get to intercept it first, before it is determined wether the pass is accurate or not. And intercepting and/or impeding the pass is what Pass Block is about. The bonus movement is incidental.

Last edited by Kalimar on %b %20, %2012 - %18:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
dsavillian

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
@dsavillian: ah, but you get to intercept it first, before it is determined wether the pass is accurate or not.

True!

Hmm....do you get to intercept a normal pass if you are in the target square? Or is it just a normal catch since you aren't closer to the thrower than the target?

We need a Blood Bowl Philosoraptor meme.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

propuppetmaster wrote:
I keep reading the rules for pass block and i can see how you are stuck on the range ruler but all it mentions are the 'legal destinations' which is a position to intercept(range ruler), an empty square that is the target of the pass(this should actually be where the ball is going to land before it bounces, like a kick off resolves) or with his TZ next to the thrower or catcher.

Ah, but the empty (chosen) square is not where it will land, is it? The ball scatters 3 times before it lands, so by using PB on a HMP you would often be moving into an illegal PB square as the scatter (in the air) would be resolved after the PB move. I just don't see PB being viable on HMP.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

yes but HMP techincally doesnt even count as a Pass, but that opens up a whole can of worms, and Im sure that is a mistake lol.

But anyway the important part - read about range ruler, read the quote i extracted. No range ruler = Pass Block cannot be declared.
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

intercepting is just one options for the person with the pass block skill to choose where they will go or if they can even get there, whch is why i mentioned the kick off resolution and if you think about it for a blitz...the person that has pass block should be able to see where the ball is going to land just like the whole defense can on the blitz before it scatters so why cant the pass block player see something similar?
dsavillian

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah.

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeallly should be working instead of following this thread.

Over/under on the number of times, in the entire world, the combination of these two rules has needed ruling in a table top game?

I think I'd set the line at 12.5
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Because you can't, interception comes before you find out where the ball lands, and Pass Block comes before that. So you cannot use it because you do not know where the ball is going to land. The order of passing is very strange yes, but the order is set in stone.

The difference with kicking, is the ball lands first, then kick off table etc.. is rolled then it scatters.

Last edited by Garion on %b %20, %2012 - %18:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The rule specifically says that Passblock is only used when the range ruler is used

This is not true at all.

And given that a) it is not true and b) there is no logical reason for there to be such a dependency, it is pure sophistry on your part.

The use of Pass Block is declared once the opposing coach announces he intends to make a pass. The movement itself is supposed to occur after the range ruler is used, and there is an obvious logical reason for that, because you need to know the direction of the pass to best attempt to intercept it.

There is absolutely no logical grounds for suggesting that the mere presence of the range ruler is somehow some pivotal component of the ability to be allowed to use the skill. Any reasonable person can understand that in the HMP exception, knowing there is no use of the range ruler, that this particular piece of logic would not necessarily apply to Pass Block.

I believe there is more than enough ground, based on the suggestion that you be allowed to end up in the legal destination of the Thrower's TZ, to suggest there is no reason Pass Block could not be used on HMP.

It is a poor bit of logical misdirection to fixate on the range ruler. The essence of the skill is contained in the very first line:

"A player with this skill is allowed to move up to three squares when the opposing coach announces that one of his players is going to pass the ball"

The spirit of the rule is obvious. Combine with the instruction regarding legal destinations and you have the answer imho.

Last edited by King_Ghidra on %b %20, %2012 - %18:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
Garion wrote:
The rule specifically says that Passblock is only used when the range ruler is used

This is not true at all.

And given that a) it is not true and b) there is no logical reason for there to be such a dependency, it is pure sophistry on your part.

The use of Pass Block is declared once the opposing coach announces he intends to make a pass.

No it is not, the coach passing declares a pass before moving, they can start without the ball for instance, move pick up then use the range ruler then pass block is declared, you cannot declare it when the pass is declared because you do not know if you will be in range and the Passing player can move first.

I have quoted the exract at the beginning of this thread, Pass Block is declared when the range ruler is used.

Edit:
"The move is made out of sequence, after the Range has been measured"

This means the order of Passing is -

Declare Pass, Move, Measure, Pass Block, Interception, Pass Roll,(scatter can go here if pass failed), Catch Roll

King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

No the move is made when the range ruler is produced. The declaration probably is made at the same point as the pass action is declared.

The pass block move and the pass block declaration are different things.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope that is incorrect.

It says, "the opposing coach may not change his mind about passing once Pass Block has been declared".

This again supports that it is when the range ruler is used. Because as I said before you can start without the ball, and you can choose to change your mind about passing up the interception part of the sequence. The Pass Block skill stipulates that Pass Block works out of sequence just before the interception.

WhatBall

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

To muddy the water more. :/

http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14105&hilit=+hail+mary+pass+pass+block+

And I still say Galak is wrong based on how the poorly written rules describe the PB. Razz

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

That thread is from 2004. Someone should go poke the bear again to get a CRP ruling Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2012 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

indeed, things have changed since then. But even so, I'm pretty sure we have got it sorted now.
 Jump to: