31 coaches online • Server time: 10:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I am on Sky, I have no idea what kind of BB connection it is.
Thanks for the replies Christer, I tried what you said in the other thread but it's still using the old path for the ffb client.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have a Router and a Modem, or just a router?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol I don't know, got a black box that you plug into the phone line.
The sky guy set it up so I guess I can't factory reset cos I have no discs or info on how to configure it.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Facory reset will just change the settings of the router if they have been changed. If you are connected via wireless it is likely with sky that you will have changed the wireless key when installing the service. So when you reset the router you will not be able to connect wirelessly again until you set it up. If it has been changed that is. if it hasnt then you will connect automatically again.

Setting it up is really easy though. If you look at the back of your router (is it a D Link router or Netgear?) or underneath it, there will be some informtion on a sticker. This will say what your default WEP key is, or it might say wireless key. If this information is not provided (which is often the case with Dlink routers) then you may start with an unsecure network which will let you automatically connect to it.

check that first and let me know when you have, dont post any codes , keys etc.. here though

also which operating system do you have on your computer?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Windows 7.
I don't want to risk messing about with the router, too much aggro from the mrs if I mess it up!
Hopefully it will just sort itself out again in a day or two.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

ah well, if you change your mind send me a pm, no point continuing this in the thread.

Setting up wireless on windows 7 is simple, you just click on the wireless connection icon in the bottom right corner of the screen (it looks like a bar chart) then click on your router in the list of networks, then click connect, then enter the wireless key, which as I say should be on the router somewhere.

But yeah reset is the best course of action for the reason christer posted.
Loew

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

while this do sound like a problem with the router (ok connection via 3G, problems via wireless/router), I can't recommend a factory reset without knowing how to reconfigure the router. It is possible that sky set the router up with connection informations (username, pw...) before sending it to you or that the technican entered these informations.
In my opinion this would be bad style from an ISP, but it has been done...

Is this the only website that you have problems with? maybe talk to sky to see if there's a problem on their side.
A question for HTTP experts: if Jimmy still sees an outdated jnlp file after clearing his cache, could it be that sky uses a proxy with caching functions, that somehow fail to recognize that they have to fetch a new jnlp?...hmm...but that makes no sense, if i understand correctly, the launch parameters are in there, too
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2012 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

resetting the router is no big deal at all, it is really really simple to reconfigure and even if he does have problems doing this, he can just ring sky and they will tell him how to do it. They will not have changed any of the default settings other than maybe the wireless key, and they might not even have done that.

it is really nothing to worry about. this is my job and I know sky and know they do everything quick and simple, plus the engineer that set up the service probably wasnt a sky engineer it would've been an Openreach engineer as this is their Network, not Skys.

Loew wrote:
A question for HTTP experts: if Jimmy still sees an outdated jnlp file after clearing his cache, could it be that sky uses a proxy with caching functions, that somehow fail to recognize that they have to fetch a new jnlp?...hmm...but that makes no sense, if i understand correctly, the launch parameters are in there, too

It is not Skys network, it belongs to Openreach and BT wholesale and no this will not be the case.
 Jump to: