40 coaches online • Server time: 14:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is this a client bug?
This was a problem with the java client
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
This was a problem at the other coach's end
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Covertfun

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons vs Dark Elves:

a witch elf with strip ball blocks a blitzer with stand firm

the result is a pushback, and the ball scatters, and the blitzer does not budge... all correct and perfect

the ball in the first case scatters into the successful hands of the amazon thrower. At this point, the dark elf coach reports that the game has hung, and the witch elf cannot be deselected.

after reloading, the same thing happens, only the ball scatters elsewhere...

no problem this time, and the game proceeded, to the dark elves' advantage.

Now, this question: DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE CLIENT if the ball is retrieved after scattering from the above scenario?

because the only difference between when the game hung and when it carried on to the advantage of the dark elves was that the ball was picked up after the initial scatter.

I suspect it doesn't make a difference, but if someone KNOWS that the client is thrown out by picked up scatter rolls in between frenzy blocks, or after resolving Stand Firm vs Strip Ball, I'd love to be reassured.

If there was no problem with the client, that is, there was never a bug, because it can't be replicated (and replication is something computers do a lot of), then the problem is clearly that the dark elf coach (or his computer), not the client, was hung up on the successful pick up.

I obviously cannot publicly announce the opposing coach's name, but i will gladly do so if PMed in the channel, with no implication of cheating, simply to say - you may suffer from a similar bug in games with x.
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
after reloading, the same thing happens, only the ball scatters elsewhere...

no problem this time, and the game proceeded, to the dark elves' advantage.

This is against the rules. If the game hangs you need to make every effort to re-produce the previous play. (not your question but I've seen several posts that hint at players not knowing this rule). In this case (1-9 scatter + catch roll) it may be best to negotiate NOT having the witch elf do the block in the first place, since the Amazons would retain possession, which is what happend on the first attempt.
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks, banana_fish900...

as it happens, i know the rule... but i initially thought we were trying to determine if there was a bug, then i was too good natured to make an issue. You are right, however - - i should have just kept doing the reload until i kept the ball.

it's just a sad and cynical thing to have to try not to be good-natured. Sad
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen the game hang up after ball-scatters a lot, particularly if the ball scatters on a square with a player. Sounds like a typical client-bug to me.
MacLeod

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Remaining good-natured and trying to discover if it truly is a bug just goes to prove a level of honor that should be respected.
Mac

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2004 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers, Mirascael... i know you're very experienced - a long-time stayer Smile that's reassuring that you think it was a bug, moreso that there ARE some bugs that happen only once.

and MacLeod: thanks, mate... you and I must have a gentlemen's rules match, with heaps of fouling, push outs and stalling. Plenty of RIP to favourite players. And if there's a disconnect, you've either gotta retire that player after the match, or replay till he/she dies Wink and we can cop it on the chin like honourable Blood Bowlers Very Happy

thanks for the encouragement. I'll stop constantly replying now, but I'm still reading... Wink
Ug

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I saw a similar bug in a game yesterday - except that the game hung in the middle of a frenzy block that resulted in a pushback.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

i've had the game bug out several times in similiar situations to yours, sounds like a normal bug to me.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2004 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally i have never seen this bug (doesnt mean it doesnt exist though) i have however occasionally had problems when the ball scatters onto a prone player first then elsewhere (ball can disappear etc) however even this hasnt happened lately (could be im just lucky when it comes to most bugs as lots of others have apparently seen it)
 Jump to: