23 coaches online • Server time: 02:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
I could see an icon creator system...

Like HERE.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

for a start: i find the scaled icons not that bad
Loew

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

fascinating stuff...

but...while I'm very taken by the technical elegance the proposed SVG solution would present and understand the trouble owner of really big screens have, I'm a bit concerned that we would lose a bit of "life" in the player icons. IMHO, hand-drawn bitmap icons often have more "soul" than those that are just the same wireframe puppet over and over again (but with a different mustache and hat)
yggi49

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

A fully scalable client would be pure awesomeness—both for higher *and* lower resolutions. Neither my desktop (full HD) nor my netbook (1024 × 600) is working really good with the client’s current resolution. ;-)

On top of that, since most screens today are widescreen (16:9 or 16:10), it might also be worth considering to implement a widescreen layout, e.g. by moving the widgets/containers in the lower part of the frame to the right side (just a quick thought).
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Loew wrote:
fascinating stuff...

but...while I'm very taken by the technical elegance the proposed SVG solution would present and understand the trouble owner of really big screens have, I'm a bit concerned that we would lose a bit of "life" in the player icons. IMHO, hand-drawn bitmap icons often have more "soul" than those that are just the same wireframe puppet over and over again (but with a different mustache and hat)

Actually, most of the current icons are the same puppet over and over. This system would allow for more dynamic icons and variety.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, I nearly always use a puppet, then pinch bits I can adapt from other icons, then create the rest.

2 Examples here.

Image base icon is the old old client elf catcher.

Using him as the base, and taking parts from the newer elf catcher icon, then creating the rest, I get. Image

Then pinching the visor and hair from an orc model, somebody (I can't remember who) did in the custom section, I get.

Here is the old old rotter. Image

Converting him to a more modern look, and using new Zug's beard I get. Image

Sometimes working this way is more work, sometimes less. However, it is easier to be creative, looking at other icon ideas and borrowing parts.
air139

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Johannes Kopf and Dani Lischinski came up with a good algorithm for converting 8bit to svg: http://www.mono-live.com/2011/05/magic-trick-to-convert-8bit-pixels-to.html
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 14:44
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

air, that's the paper I based my app on.

It's not exactly converting to SVG though.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Could it be adapted to do that?
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Could it be adapted to do that?

I wouldn't want to use the current icons, no matter how good a converter Christer could make. If we are going to do it, we should do it right.

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Would be nice to get a double size client with Christer's converted icons in the meantime though if it's not too much work for something that is meant to be replaced.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Would be nice to get a double size client with Christer's converted icons in the meantime though if it's not too much work for something that is meant to be replaced.

are those old large icons not just GW miniatures that have been drawn over though. As they certainly look that way, which would breach IP. If not then someone was very good at drawing them!
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 21:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Drawings of miniatures are not copyrighted to GW.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2012 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

ah interesting. im surprised, the way they were drawn over like they seemed to be.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

This is what I could provide by using some PhotoShop filtering. Easy enough to replace them all for now by running a batch script to do it. I might be able to get a bit better quality with some fine tuning.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

And some other examples:

Image Image Image Image Image
 Jump to: