47 coaches online • Server time: 18:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

well i tried this approach in a similar league myself (i played 13 games, 10 league games vs opponents and 3 play-off games), I didn't win every game, but i made it to the final, over all i won 9 games and lost 4.

The 'risky' stuff of this approach is that you don't have rr for blocking, picking up the ball and doing extra steps. Picking up the ball is 1/6 fail, with dodge and ag4 on 6 players you can decide whom to block and when, much easier than with ag4 and only 3 times dodge, extra steps shouldn't be taken too often as your teams is one of the fastest. With pass and catch skill throwing successfully the ball is almost as easy as a 2dice-block. The risky stuff might be that you could loose important players, but dodge really helps a lot here.
Your nemesis with this approach could be the chaos dwarfs with tackle, but your players are just as fast or even faster than those even if your players have to stand up, after they are blocked down. After 13 games i got a fully developed team, two players were killed and i had 4 serious injuries. You can also be very successful with more linemen, but expect to have heavy loses, very early losing more players and games. In a league you cannot choose your opponent like here on fumbbl, once the basher teams are ahead of your team it will get harder and harder for your team to win games.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
no, it isn't, with all the skills you've got as starting with a woodie team, you've got 8 rr every turn (6 dodges, 2 pass, 4 catch), what do you want with two rr per half?

because 1/6 fails for elfs.

you must do so well with yr team design sir.....

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
well i tried this approach in a similar league myself (i played 13 games, 10 league games vs opponents and 3 play-off games), I didn't win every game, but i made it to the final, over all i won 9 games and lost 4.

Yes, I see!

I once made an orc team with zero RRs, and made up of only goblins.

I won 10 of my first 11 matches.

You should have seem me destroy those 4 year olds.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
The 'risky' stuff of this approach is that you don't have rr for blocking, picking up the ball and doing extra steps.

Rather important actions..
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
NickNutria wrote:

Yes, I see!

I once made an orc team with zero RRs, and made up of only goblins.

I won 10 of my first 11 matches.

You should have seem me destroy those 4 year olds.

Lol great stuff. That's just made my day Very Happy
BlizzBirne

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

dump the tree for such a short league i say, you'll never have money enough to afford one anyway. if you start without RRs, you'll be in trouble too - and even though I would personally favour roster 1 over 2 - the thrower has one serious advantage for a league team like the one you're looking for, and it is access to the leader skill, probably after the first match.
meeting undead and CDs in the first match isn't pleasant, but better that early than later on tbh. if you're not totally unlucky, you won't have too many positionals to replace early in the league. and then you can buy apo and other RRs (max 3 though I think).
Whitmire

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
I would play with all position players and no rr to start, with 4 catchers, 2 wardancers, 2 throwers, 3 linemen, you can run circles around your opponent, an all linemen approach is good for long time team building, in a league where you only play 6 games, skilling up linemen isn't really useful.

Well, you can get off with this for a few games, but eventually you should be seriously hampered by your lack of RRs.

I see where you're coming from, though. I recently played against a starting team like this. I had a starting Orc line-up with 3 RRs. Since my enemy had 0 RRs, I was expecting a pants-down victory (to my orcs). My strategy involved forcing my opponent to roll as many die as possible during his turns, because eventually he'd roll a one, right? And then I'd strike.

I ended up losing 3-1. My 3 RR solid orc crew was taken pants down by a bunch of risk taking tree nannies with 0 RRs.

The player had a great strategy: he never rolled ones, at least not when it mattered. Me, I was down 3-0 after the first half. I couldn't even get the ball up.

While my orcs failed every attempt at picking up the ball, I had a blast watching my opponent pulling stunts where his Wardancer 1) leapt over my screening players, 2) dodged away from my blockers, 3) passed the ball across the field who then 4) went for it to yet another TD, for example.

My point? A team like this is completely at the mercy of Nuffle, but then you simply can't stop an elf team that rolls high. Since Nuffle is a cruel god, I'd never try something like that apart from maybe one game.
joebear

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... If you really wanted a Treeman and 2 Wardancers, would you guys ever consider 2 Wardancers, a Treeman, a Thrower, and a reroll? My Wood Elf Black Box team just got annihilated, and I think I'll start a new one like this just to see how it goes. Game 1 might be a little rough, but your goal should be to get your thrower the leader skill after game 1 at all costs. You'll also have to play extremely conservatively with your positionals until you get an apo, but I imagine it could work.

You might also consider replacing a Treeman with the catcher in this roster (if you're willing to acknowledge that the Treeman kind of sucks, which I am not), and guarantee an apo after game 1. Just an idea, for those that like to walk on the less traveled path...
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Joebear, just try it!
joebear

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
Joebear, just try it!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=704931
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2012 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried that starting roster. Nuffle was not pleased. Lost 3 players in game 1 (Dead, Dead, -ST, all Linos)...

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=699038

At your own risk!
joebear

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2012 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
I tried that starting roster. Nuffle was not pleased. Lost 3 players in game 1 (Dead, Dead, -ST, all Linos)...

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=699038

At your own risk!

Nuffle was so displeased, that he exploded my internet at the end of my first game, leaving all of my players as sitting ducks for two turns. When I came back my thrower was maimed. Extremely frustrated, I clicked through my team management screen without buying an Apo. This experiment has had a heck of a start!
Stealman

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2012 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Over 12 games, in my view, I would start with Roster 2 (as in, I'd start that with or without the options you've presented). I start FUMBBL Wood Elf teams with that roster, and I wouldn't shift that with a sprint of a league.

This is a very good point. I don't know why I didn't considered that myself. And I really like the idea of joebear's starting roster.

joebear wrote:
Hmm... If you really wanted a Treeman and 2 Wardancers, would you guys ever consider 2 Wardancers, a Treeman, a Thrower, and a reroll? My Wood Elf Black Box team just got annihilated, and I think I'll start a new one like this just to see how it goes. Game 1 might be a little rough, but your goal should be to get your thrower the leader skill after game 1 at all costs. You'll also have to play extremely conservatively with your positionals until you get an apo, but I imagine it could work.

I think I will give this roster a try. If i get the painting job done till the end of august Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2012 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

NickNutria wrote:
I would play with all position players and no rr to start, with 4 catchers, 2 wardancers, 2 throwers, 3 linemen, you can run circles around your opponent, an all linemen approach is good for long time team building, in a league where you only play 6 games, skilling up linemen isn't really useful.

Interesting, but even if you like this approach surely you don't need two throwers.

For me, woods are expensive so you need to save your cash for replacing dead WDs.

RRs are half price at set up so it makes sense to buy them then.

You would have plenty of dodge which is nice but you have a week 2 clash with CDs.

This is CRP. You need grunts to protect your stars. But you have more stars than grunts.
Lose the toss and one or more grunts could be gone in turn one. He's then going to trundle his tackle boys forward into TZs and neutralise your dodge.
You have little block, no RRs & plenty of ST2 so your only option is to dodge.
Sooner or later you're going down. Maybe with everyone else left in TZs and boot happy hobs close by.

You season could be done by half time.

The only up side is that you wouldn't want to be wasting RRs on journeymen anyway. Wink

You play each team twice so mangle now win later is a valid strategy. With the league almost half elven + undead gouls you know people will be taking tackle early.

Jump to: