22 coaches online • Server time: 01:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zakatan

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2012 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Just regarding e-mail play, how do you handle actions taken in opponent's turn? Apothecaries, side stepping and the such.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2012 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,
@Koadah - yup, I just couldn't help myself Wink But they're listed as optional.

@Zakatan - yes, they are generally weaker, but more durable against Claw and big Fouls. I remember sucking on a lot of both of those when coaching khemri.
Also - Break Tackle and your 4 TGs.
That's gotta count for something. Garion reckons it's "insanely broken".

As for how to handle pbem (cut & paste):
Opponents choices are usually handled by gentlemans agreement. In case of serious doubt, you'll have to send an extra email. But most of the time it's fairly straightforward. Oh - the program has a sidestep routine built in, where it tries to pick the best square for sidesteps (which can be manually overridden, naturally). And apoths are used at the start of your next turn/ASAP.

Cheers
Martin
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2012 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
Just regarding e-mail play, how do you handle actions taken in opponent's turn? Apothecaries, side stepping and the such.

Plasmoid already answered but I'll give my opinion on it. I played quite a few games on the MBBL myself and it was much less of a hassle than you'd think. Using the apo at the start of your own turn is a very minor change and side-steps etc. worked pretty well. Often you could already see where you wanted to go at the end of your own turn and the tool let you mark that square. Or then you could let your opponent know what you wanted your side stepper to do when you sent the turn (such as moving towards the end zone or staying next to the ball carrier). Stand Firm, Diving Tackle etc. are usually even easier to decide beforehand.

But, all in all, it had very little effect on games.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2012 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:

Also - Break Tackle and your 4 TGs.
That's gotta count for something. Garion reckons it's "insanely broken".

Laughing

I certainly do. Starting off with that skill is madness. Khemri are already a top draw team imo. This buff just isnt needed. Mobile Khemri anyone.... get rid of the part of the team's play style that makes them unique and fun ie. trying to avoid letting your TGs getting tied up in the early games and trying to compensate for their mobility with good positional play etc... why not give wood elves av9 too Wink
ilpars

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2012 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not add positional players to teams that not have them?

Lizardmen, Vampire, Chaos, Halfling, Ogre even Chaos Pact can benefit from having positional players.
As a longtime Warhammer Lizardmen player I can suggest 2 positionals for my favourite race.

0-2 Skink Egg Carrier. Starts with Sure Hands.
0-1 Skink Chaemelon: Starts with Foul Apperance and Fend.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2012 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Ilpars,
in all honesty, I have a mind to mess with a lot of stuff!

But NTBB is a super-restrained version of me Very Happy
So I've only messed with teams that are not clearly in tier 1 (and I think Lizardmen very much are not in need of a buff) - and I've only done it in a way that would not require anyone to buy any new minis. And I'm sticking with that.

Cheers
Martin
ilpars

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2012 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Well probably Lizardmen does not need that. Skink-Saurus compliment each other well.
But bottom 4: Vampire, Chaos, Halfling, Ogre all lacking positional players. I only played Halfling from that 4 but I guess their lack of positionals are 1 of the main reasons these teams are falling behind.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2012 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooh. With the WINE program the pbem tool will also run on Mac (OSX)!
razcrux

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2013 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Having checked out the NTBB I do think it looks very good and certainly good enough that I'd love to see it as an available Division. We have the twitchy division, why not a division where teams are slowly crafted to try and get to a narrow-tier division?

I am tired of seeing always the same teams in the top finals, and always with the same kill stack players... claw+ kill stack essentially means that high-armor values are meaningless as everyone gets reduced to armor 7 -- boring.

It's one thing that Block is very strong, it's another when a certain repeat-skill combinations eliminate variety.

Great job plasmoid, I'd play in the NTBBL, if it wasn't play by mail.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2013 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi razcrux,
thanks for the kind words.

>I'd play in the NTBBL, if it wasn't play by mail.
Heh. Yeah. That does seem to be a bit of a problem Wink

Cheers
Martin
razcrux

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2013 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually a Group in the Legaue could get kinda close to at least some of the settings (like Piling on only working on Injury, not armor). With a few more items as optional toggles in the tool it could work as a League group.

This wouldn't address the team-changes themselves though, as that really requires new rosters, as far as I can tell.

Clearly both aspects of this would involve a lot of work, and that's ignoring the entirely new rule changes proposed like Bank charges...
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2013 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the roster changes would require work.

Bank could easily be proxied manually: any Cash above 100k must be converted to petty Cash in the pregame sequence.
Cheers
Martin
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2013 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

razcrux wrote:

I am tired of seeing always the same teams in the top finals, and always with the same kill stack players... claw+ kill stack essentially means that high-armor values are meaningless as everyone gets reduced to armor 7 -- boring.

I can see how you feel that, being a member for 3 weeks and all..........unless.......

But with the current ruleset, you're probably right.
razcrux

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2013 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Just because I'm a member of fumbbl for 3 weeks doesn't mean I started playing blood bowl 3 weeks ago. I started with blood bowl back in the day when it was first and second edition (not at all the game it became in third).
Wink

I'm a game designer by trade, and I love to game. My favorite games (and a lot of the work I do during the week) involves making different teams / factions as balanced as possible (for TCGs but also digital games). More balance = more variety = more replay-ability / better competitions.

There is a certain charm to the fact that blood bowl has never tried to be a balanced game, heck it outright embraces it! But that shouldn't mean that it is impossible or undesirable. It is a long bomb, but I do think that if there was a division whose goal was to do iterative changes to the stats of the teams and the rules to get as balanced a team-record as possible, I do think there would be a good deal of interest in such a thing.

As for doing "manual" changes, I'm really not a fan of that. The NTBBL has a ton of things you have to do "manually" and I think that is a huge deterrent. If I am using an automated tool it should do everything for me, trying to remember a list of things I have to do manually all the time is just annoying and it will lead to un/intentional errors -- not the sort of thing you want if you are tracking stats to ensure that all teams are as balanced as possible...
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2013 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea of your BB experience, and that wasn't my point. 'What Tourneys are you referring to' is.
 Jump to: