14 coaches online • Server time: 05:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I started to wonder about the effectiveness of these two skills. Is it just me, or is Accurate really a better skill than SA? Accurate gives u +1 to all passes. SA shortens the range of a pass by one band, thus effectively giving +1 to all passes except quick pass. Is there something im not understanding here (wouldnt surprise me Wink ) or is this a bit twisted? Still SA is a trait and acc is a normal skill...
mUst

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

no... as strongarm stacks with accurate.... thats kinda the point
mUst

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

But yet accurate is if chossen between the two better
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

yes i know that, but it still doesnt justify SA being a trait and acc being a normal skill. Why should the "weaker" skill be harder to get? E.g if i get doubles on first skill roll on a thrower, should i take SA just because its a trait? Or acc because it is a better skill compared to SA.
veron

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't fumble the ball with SA as much because the range is shortened, fe. you throw a Long Bomb (normally -2) as Long Pass with Strong Arm hence getting only -1 modifier.
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

veron wrote:
You don't fumble the ball with SA as much because the range is shortened, fe. you throw a Long Bomb (normally -2) as Long Pass with Strong Arm hence getting only -1 modifier.

with acc u get +1 on long bomb so effectively u r getting -1 modifier, right?
James

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes they are essentially the same, but this makes it harder to get a +2 to all passes. Accurate is an obvious choice for a passer and after pass should be the most frequently chosen skill. So you got a guy who can reroll and has a +1. That has improved your passing game quite a bit. But then you want to be super badass passer man so when you roll doubles you take the skill that (albeit worded differently) gives you another +1. So now you have the Claw of Passing, or a +2 for those who don't understand the analogy. Pass, SA, and Accurate means a +0 for a Long Bomb that you can reroll. On an elf passer this means never having to worry about moving the ball, since any pass can only be a 3+ or better with a reroll. I'll take those odds any day.

For those who like summary statements, YES, SA and Accurate do the same thing.

Good now go eat your cereal.

James
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

But with quick pass, u dont get any bonus from SA, but u get with acc. So they really dont do the excatly the same thing. So im still wondering why SA is a trait and acc is a skill...
veron

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Woops, you're correct, still too early to ponder about BB rules it seems...

Yeah, on just game terms, Accurate is actually better and should be the trait from these too I reckon. Maybe it's just because Strong Arm SOUNDS more like a trait....

Like someone once said, "This is a GW game, leave all common sense at the door." Wink
Perox

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Veron wrote:
I beg to differ. With Strong Arm you never get the -2 modifier for Long Bombs, hence you fumble less often than without it. Only thing Accurate is better at, is when throwing quick passes.

I did a forum search on the matter, and looky what you said earlier Veron.. Mr. Green

I prefer SA since it makes one fumble less often. And who needs that extra +1 on quickies anyway?

Perox.
IsaiahFrost

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Accurate is better alone. When combined with other throwing skills especially Dump Off, Strong Arm becomes the more useful skill. Strong Arm is a skill that you take based on its uses combined with other skills ie Dump Off and Accurate. The fact is that Strong Arm used to be just a skill, available to everyone with passing skills. Plus how much variation can really be included in the passing skills category? Something had to be a trait for the passing skills and that was the most likely suspect.
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually Isaiah Strong Arm doesnt work with dumpoff. However yes it does make the most sense to be a trait
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The point is, if you can pick strong arm then you have rolled a double. So take it. You can always get accurate later.

Oscar Wilde
veron

Post 6 Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Perox wrote:
I did a forum search on the matter, and looky what you said earlier Veron.. Mr. Green

Heh... I thought I was getting quite strong deja vu feeling from the subject...
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2004 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
The point is, if you can pick strong arm then you have rolled a double. So take it. You can always get accurate later.

i understand the basic concept behind this. "its harder to get doubles so i take SA" but still SA alone is weaker than acc... So taking it doesnt make much sense. Together they make a great combo giving +2 to all rolls except quick pass. Arguments like "SA is good because it stacks with acc" make no sense really, as the main point was to compare them. So talking bout how well they stack is beside the point. And acc and pass (iirc) work with dump off, and SA doesnt so in that sense acc is better aswell...

So once again... shouldnt acc rather be trait than SA?
 Jump to: