31 coaches online • Server time: 02:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the rule be changed so that you cant buy a player after the game has been agreed?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 27 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 73

Muldvarpen

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

After some debate on #fumbbl i wanted to hear if it was able to change the rule saying:

A game is considered to have started at the moment the clients connect. At this point you are committed to the game and must play it out. Note that this includes scenarios where your opponent purchased new players after the mutual agreement to play. This rule does not apply if any of the participants connects with a team other than the one the game was agreed on.

I once played a game where my opponent bought a star player without telling me, and his excuse was:"The rules says i can"

Why is that? Why whas this rule made? I know that we are playing Bloodbowl and all is fair in love and Bloodbowl, but this is no excuse for having no morale... Buying a player after the game has been agreed is way wrong, I say, and should not be allowed on fumbbl.com
Samuli

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

No.

Why is pretty easy. There is no way to proof you disconnected because the opponent bought players after the match was agreed. You could as well have a player niggling, and disconnect - saying that your opponent bought a player after the match was arranged.
Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The rule is like it is as there is no way of knowing when an actual agreement has been made. There is no easy way of confirming the story of a coach who says "He bought a reroll" or "He freebooted a player" or whatever at the point of the game start.

With the rule as it is stated, it's very simple to enforce. If you are worried that an opponent might hire a star, just don't play people who can afford them.
Rimmer

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually starplayers is bought in the pregamephase in the tabletop game (and that is when you have already decided to play) so why is it even an issue?

I could undertand it if it was about additional players that isn´t "freeboted" since that is supposed to happen in the postgame phase.

Last edited by Rimmer on %b %06, %2004 - %01:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

From the MOUTH of GOD people. End of debate.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

As Samuli said without coding player purchases into post game routines it cannot be done. Purchases are listed as post game phase thou. It would need some coding but I dont think it would be impossible to change fumbbl so that you need to press somesort of "done" after youre done your post game phases to get your team status to changed to ready and after that you could not purhase new players.
But you should be allowed to hire freebooters, wizards and star players after that like the blessed rulebook says.
quota

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem as I see it is that those rules are meant for tournaments. In a tournament you can't say no to the game no matter what, so wether your opponent buys a Star Player, a wizard or freeboots 6 players doesn't matter. Open is way different; at least it is for me. I would like to see it done, but I don't think it will be.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

So you mean that one shouldn´t be able to use the tactical benefit of saving money for one-game-players if you don´t play in a league?
The tactical benefit should be the same as when you play tournamentgames. You decide wether to boost the team for one game or for several.
quota

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm saying that I play open to play matches for fun. When I agree to a match and my opponent then boosts his team, it's no longer the fun match I wanted to play.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Irit wrote:
Problem as I see it is that those rules are meant for tournaments. In a tournament you can't say no to the game no matter what..

Hush, back to reading your rulebook under "running a tournament" on page 46. LBR refers tournament systems as

Living Rulebook page 46 wrote:
no fixture list is used, instead it is up to coaches to organize the matches themselfs

On the next page there is also paragraph about refusing challenge
quota

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The tournaments in LRB are all open round robin if I remember correctly. I wouldn't see any problem with people buying Star Players in the last minue in a tournament of any kind, yet I still don't see Open Division the same way.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see another poll about if ppl would like that there would be proper postgame phases on fumbbl. Partly as said earlier one way it could work is:

1) After game you can do your skill rolls and normal purchases. After youre done them you select button "end postgame"

2) After you have selected "end postgame" fumbbl does not give you anymore options to buy new players, apothecaries, cheerleaders, ass coaches or rerolls. Only hiring freebooters, wizards and star players would be possible.

It sounds like it would not be very big alteration to site but I would like to hear word from Christer or Klipp if it is so even before making any polls about it. Althought it might not be big job to add and it doesnt really add much, it would make Fumbbl stick more into LRB rules.
MixX

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 03:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like this, though it's rarely the buying of a new player that's a problem, it's the fact that you can't respond to an opponent buying a star with buying one of your own, but anyway... that's not the topic here, I'm just mentioning it..
peikko

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
can't respond to an opponent buying a star with buying one of your own,

True. Any of this wont fix the real problem.

Dont really see any other solution for that than having star hiring option on JBB before the game is actually started and that really sounds pretty big job.
Adding any kinda confirms on accepted game on site sounds way too difficult and anoying more than its worth.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2004 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Irit wrote:
The tournaments in LRB are all open round robin if I remember correctly. I wouldn't see any problem with people buying Star Players in the last minue in a tournament of any kind, yet I still don't see Open Division the same way.

I'm not sure where your logic comes from exactly - the LRB begins to discuss leagues (open format) on page 38, and Tournaments have their own chapter on page 46 - I don't see how the league rules - such as hiring freebooters - are 'designed for tournaments' in any way.

Of course, the sanity of hiring a freebooter outside of a tournament, since nothing much is on the line for the single open game, could be debated. Unless of course it is to smack a particular rival, or manage TR by tossing cash out the door.

Muldvarpen:

But in any case this poll should be more specific - buying a player after agreeing insinuates that they are buying new position players which should NOT be done after agreeing to a match, but the major beef seems to be with someone hiring a freebooted star after the match is agreed, which is the way the game is meant to be, and in agreement with the LRB.

I'm going to have to side with the LRB and Rimmer on this. Besides, like Christer said, it's easy to tell if someone has the cash to hire a star, cherry pick your way around them if you must.

Sorry for ranting on this again (new thread though!) I really should stay off of Fumbbl when I'm in an ornery mood...*sigh*
 Jump to: