50 coaches online • Server time: 22:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kergan (not logged in)

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 00:33Guest Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it is just me being a silly newbie, but...

- "Press OK to confirm the 5+ dodge/2 die against block/etc. If this was a mistake, press cancel." OK|Cancel ('Rats! I clicked the wrong tile!') This is probably not necessary for a +1 or +0 Ag roll, a 1 die block or better, a foul, etc., and there should be an option to disable the feature.

- In the area where the number of block dice appear, it would be nice to display the difficulty of the rolls about to be done. e.g. 3+ dodge, 4+ pass, 2+ catch, etc. Perhaps presented as a tree if necessary, e.g. 6+ TTM, 3+ land on success|4+ land on failure.

- "Confirm end of turn?" Yes|No ('Woops! I clicked the wrong button!')

- More generally, a "Cancel" button. This is probably the most basic usability feature in the book. And Javabowl lacks it.

This one is easier to implement than the previous: how about removing the 'go for it' button, and allowing the player to go on moving as normal when out of Ma, highlighting the field where he can move in shiny red rather than pale blue?

This one is not too hard either: how about allowing to shift click on field so as to trace a path (this part is already implemented, albeit quite poorly, or, more likely, intended for a different purpose: you cannot do this once the action is declared, the numbers are not reinitialized when the player's action is over, and you can mark squares that aren't adjacent), that the player will follow when a legal square is eventually clicked during a move or blitz action (this part isn't). If you implement this, make sure to highlight the squares where a die roll will be required (and better still: display how hard the die roll will be).

And this one is more difficult: how about programming a path-finder, so that when move (or blitz) is selected, javabowl automatically detects the easiest path, and displays it on the field. Shift clicking could then be used to force the path through certain squares without requiring the player to click on every single square he enters.

I'm quite sure many of the fumbbl users will participate to the Blood Bowl client's development if it is made open source.

Happy programming. Smile
whitey

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Many people already consider that the client does too much for you. It is supposed to be a digital representation of the board game. These suggestions take the skill out of coaching, by making the decisions for you. If you can't spot whether you are in a tackle zone or not then its your own fault.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

JBB is designed to minimize clicking and only do things for you that are needed to allow online play.

-Undo, or taking back actions is specifically not allowed by the rules of BloodBowl. Sorry, I can't find the page in the rulebook this moment.

-Even if JBB began adding features to do more for you, a pathfinder would be impossible. and there is no way to make using it not take an ungodly amount of time.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

How about adding in a probability of success feature to those realy complex moves that the pathfinder will make.
Jeese sounds like taking out the fun. Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Should build in some small errors to the client and then an "illegal procedure" button for the opponent! Smile
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

holy moly. Why don't I just make an AI and you can only watch the computer play the computer. Laughing

Seriously though, I don't have it report what you need to roll for the reasons the other people have mentioned. You should know how to play the game and know how to calculate target value. That's part of being a good coach.

The ability to mark squares is specifically limited to 5 squares because I don't want people marking out their entire movement. That would encourage long turns. As it is now it just a place to mark a few squares. Some thing to show a few alternative places your thrower can reach before his pass? Or mark the square you want to form a cage at.

"Yes", "No" buttons are perfectly acceptable GUI button labels when they answer the question presented in the dialog.
"Do you want to end your turn?" My answer, "Cancel"? I don't think so. Smile

You want to remove the GFI button, then add a confirm dialog when they accidentally GFI because the just kept clicking where they wanted to move and didn't realize the game switched to GFI move? nah.

Now some of these suggestions would be great for a pure pc game, but this is a board game. It is meant to simulate the board game. Seeing the possibility of these suggestions getting added makes me glad I have not released this to open source.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
Flynn

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

all i want is for someone to lean on the admins about halfling chefs so the code gets changed so we can freeboot them
and i want to be able to upload player icons

Goodbye Cusi
MixX

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2003 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, why not simply make a percent chance of winning for a given team, and simply have the client calculate who wins. Then you can have 20 matcher per hour, and you don't need to think at all... jeez!

sorry, but sometimes...
jimimothybodles

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

i know this is supposed to be a representation of the board game, and 'undoing' things isnt allowed in the rules... but when youre playing the board game, you dont accidently trip up and push one of your players into a tackle zone, accidently roll for dodging, accidently fail your armour roll and accidently watch your super player DIE.... which could be done quite easily with a single slip of the mouse :\

but i understand that the game would be very tedious if it asked for confirmation every time you did something! meh

CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, and undo button sounds great! I have two elf teams, so when I happen to fail an easy 2+ dodge, I could undo it and carry on with the next 2+ dodge! Double skulls? Wait, I meant to get 3 dice on that block, I'll just undo and move in some more assists, that's not problem since I can always undo any dodges that flub...I'll never have a turnover again! Wheee!

Rolling Eyes
kjwise

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

one ?easy? suggestion would be to have a "ask opponent to allow me to undo" which would be limited to x number of times per math.
We all have allowed nb's to take back a game or two.
However, that is prone to cheating, since he could do the same thing again, but get better rolls!
Delta

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jimimothybodles wrote:
i know this is supposed to be a representation of the board game, and 'undoing' things isnt allowed in the rules... but when youre playing the board game, you dont accidently trip up and push one of your players into a tackle zone, accidently roll for dodging, accidently fail your armour roll and accidently watch your super player DIE.... which could be done quite easily with a single slip of the mouse :\

Simple answer to a simple problem.
When you are planning to make a move...and here's the good bit....don't touch the mouse!
When you decide you want to make the move then use the mouse!
If that pesky pointer is a bit to quick for you then change it in your control panel to respond slower.

This isn't meant as a dig at anyone specific...practically all of use have mis-clicked at one time or another, usually to disasterous consequences. Simply chalk it to experience and get be more careful next time. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

i think a good solution is to have the client openly laugh at you when you fail a particularly stupid move, and the more stupid things you do the louder it laughs and mocks you, until the taunting and constant chuckling filled the whole world with the knowledge of how silly a play can be. In the end you would learn not to make the moves, or alternatively once out of therapy you would destroy your computer with a hammer.

God knows it would help me out if i had someone to keep me on the straight and narrow
evilhuman

Post 14 Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
i think a good solution is to have the client openly laugh at you when you fail a particularly stupid move, and the more stupid things you do the louder it laughs and mocks you, until the taunting and constant chuckling filled the whole world with the knowledge of how silly a play can be. In the end you would learn not to make the moves, or alternatively once out of therapy you would destroy your computer with a hammer.

God knows it would help me out if i had someone to keep me on the straight and narrow

lol best idea so far Laughing
origami

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2004 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a problem with the client finding the best path to a blitz. That's because the best path usually doesn't exist when you start your turn, so if my opponent wants to use whatever horribly complicated and unlikely blitz that the computer comes up with...great. Smile
 Jump to: