47 coaches online • Server time: 23:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How to paint and what to buy?
The "normal" way (like my half-painted skaven team)
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
Speed paint! Wham bam and done!
37%
 37%  [ 16 ]
Something else, like....
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Paint a pie with icing instead.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 43

Verminardo

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously my definition of "basic" is much more basic than others'.^^
B_SIDE

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well for tournaments, you can do the basic three color job.

Prime black. Paint skin/fur one color. Paint base green. Paint armor team color. Drybrush metal. Done.

I've done something like this when I was in a rush. But you're going to hold on to these for a while, so you might as well invest a couple of extra hours into them and do a passable job.

I've suggested to our local TT league that all unpainted models should get Loner, since they obviously aren't wearing team colors. But this tends to impact new players more than veterans.
Scaramanga

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2013 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:
I paint 15mm miniatures for skirmish and fantasy mass battle.

What figures do you use? What rules do you play?

Using white glue on bases is a bit old hat. It's a bit bulky. Generally now, you paint the base to add a layer of sand/flock/static grass.

Minis:
- Khurasan Miniatures: http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/adventure.html

- Splintered light miniature: http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/
- Rebel minis: http://www.rebelminis.com/
- Demonworld line: http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-c-76.html

For skirmish, i like ganesha games rules: Song of blade, mutants and death ray gun, fear and faith. Very easy to play and great fun.

For mass battle i like Mayhem. simple with depth and strategy.

http://bombshell-games.com/mayhem/
Badoek

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe well, I'm not sure I know what to do now. I do see even more options than I expected.

Budget is a part of the "requirements" but I'm not going to only buy the three primal colours and mix the rest myself.

I guess there's just the choice between doing the quick-with-washes or the normal-yet-done-easy-with-paint.

Thank you guys for all your advice! You've been mighty helpful. I'll probably buy some stuff today and get going because it's been taking way too long already to get something done. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

There is of course another option. Which is buy a fully painted squad of evilbay

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh don't think that wasn't the first thing I considered. It's just way over budget. Perhaps I need to find a 14-year-old that's willing to do the paintjob in exchange for some paint... Very Happy

Too bad the only wargaming club in town (afaik) is a bunch of old farts! That said, I know they've played Blood Bowl and they've got a load of experience with all kinds of miniatures and, I assume, with painting them. I guess I'll have to drop by.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Never begrudge a painter his coin, it's a woefully underpaid hobby/job.

I looked into doing it when I was younger for a company that employed painters. This was 15 years ago, but the rate of pay worked out around 75p an hour, which is a joke.

How many hours do you think it would take to paint a 4 euro figure? I'm thinking an hour at least, which means for the work put in, you're getting a bargain. Even pro painted stuff isn't worth it for the market value.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I know Aflo does commisions and he is an awesome painter. give him a shout.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

After being out of the hobby side for about twenty years and having to get a team ready for some TT action last year, I bought the 40k starter paint set, an extra brush of a different size, and another couple of specific paints. In terms of getting me back on my feet and providing a good range of basic colours and tools it worked out pretty well and was inexpensive too.

I did really enjoy the painting too, though I won't deny it occasionally felt like a chore. But the satisfaction of having put my own team together was definitely worth it, even though they paled in comparison to the guys they were playing against!
Badoek

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't begrudge them coin. I'm just not willing to spend more than an x-amount (€90-€100)on painting the figurines (!) of a board game. But:
-I'm going to get them paint, that's already something.
-I'm not doing to dip, that's already being a snob.
-Paying €4/piece is probably fair and all and I'd pay right up if I only had a handful to paint.
That leaves me with the option of painting them myself. Which is also the most complicated option.

Right now I'm still not sure if I'm going prime in black or white. I won't buy a spray can because we're only talking 20 something minis. Then there's deciding if I'll follow the speed guide or one of the others (incl those posted in this thread). I'm especially confused with the whole washes thing. When do you use those if you go the "normal" way? After the normal paint you use it to darken the deeper parts. And you follow up with highlights (=lighter version of the normal paint)?

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
After being out of the hobby side for about twenty years and having to get a team ready for some TT action last year, I bought the 40k starter paint set, an extra brush of a different size, and another couple of specific paints. In terms of getting me back on my feet and providing a good range of basic colours and tools it worked out pretty well and was inexpensive too.

I did really enjoy the painting too, though I won't deny it occasionally felt like a chore. But the satisfaction of having put my own team together was definitely worth it, even though they paled in comparison to the guys they were playing against!

I've been looking at these sets but not the 40k one. I'm going to have a look right away.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Badoek wrote:
I'm especially confused with the whole washes thing. When do you use those if you go the "normal" way? After the normal paint you use it to darken the deeper parts. And you follow up with highlights (=lighter version of the normal paint)?

Yes, A wash is your 'shading'. In Garion's quick version you apply a highlight (dry brush) before and this shows through the shaded wash.

Washing and Dry brushing are quite easy (if you keep drybrushing to just white). However Drybrushing can look very chalky if you over do it.

If you want to do basics, and a normal painting method, then you don't need to buy washes. You can water down normal paint, darken and apply.

You'll need an old tile or plate anyway for mixing things. Painter suppliers also don't recommend you dip the brush into the paint anyway. As this wears the brush out and tends to lead to having too much paint on the brush.

Badoek wrote:
've been looking at these sets but not the 40k one. I'm going to have a look right away.

If you're going to mail order, don't use GW. The manufacturer i linked is much cheaper, the paints as good, and the pots are better and slightly bigger.

They used to be the official supplier to GW, before GW found a cheaper source, so they started their own company (as well as supplying a couple of others (one of the skirmish scifi games and foundry).

If you're buying it locally, that may not be an option. But the GW pots are enough to put me off buying them.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I would definitely recommend black as an undercoat. And I would also recommend buying spray paint, it's just so much easier, and gives a smoother finish more quickly. But: don't buy it from GW. Car spray paint is exactly the same stuff, and is usually half or less of the GW price.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
If you're going to mail order, don't use GW. The manufacturer i linked is much cheaper, the paints as good, and the pots are better and slightly bigger.

They used to be the official supplier to GW, before GW found a cheaper source, so they started their own company (as well as supplying a couple of others (one of the skirmish scifi games and foundry).

If you're buying it locally, that may not be an option. But the GW pots are enough to put me off buying them.

Thats mostly right though in the last year GW completely changed all of their paints, so they are a little different now and a little better.

But those that HM linked were the same standard as GW previous range of paints with all the benefits he mentions.

Yeah GW pots are annoying now, why dont they stay open GRRrrrrrrr. but really it is a tiny detail because you should put your paint on a pallet and water it down anyway.

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2013 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I'll skip the washes then.
I'll have a look at the car spray paint.

Some of the possible buying options:

http://www.sceneryworkshop.nl
-Vallejo Game Colour, 8 pots: Elf Skintone, Dead White, Sun Yellow, Gory Red, Stormy Blue, Goblin Green, Beasty Brown, Black, Chainmail Silver
Incl P&P: €25,75
Pros: Only/all colours I need (since I picked them myself, I can still change those)
Cons: dunno

-The Army Painter Wargames Hobby Starter Paint Set, 9 pots: Plate Mail Metal?, Matt? Black, Matt? White, Ultramarine Blue, Pure Red, Greenskin?, Draconnic? Yellow,
Barbarian Flesh, Leather Brown and Quickshade Dark Tone Ink Wash.
Incl. P&P: €26,49
Pros: All/only colours I need? Comes with a brush and that wash (what does it do?)
Cons:

-Citadel Warhammer Paint Set, 8 pots: Mephiston Red, Caledor Sky, Nuln Oil, Ironbreaker, Ulthuan Grey,
Kabalite Green, Cadian Fleshtone, Imperial Primer
Incl. P&P: €33,45 (€31 at Games Workshop site)
Pros: Comes with 5 Plastic High Elves, 1 Starter Brush and 1 High Elf Painting Guide
Cons: Not sure what some of those colours are! Caledor Sky is blue, but Nuln Oil? Ironbreaker? I ARE KONFUZED!

http://www.blackhat.co.uk
-Coat d'Arms Starter Paint Set, 10 pots: 101 White, 102 Black, 103 Sun Yellow, 104 Blood Red, 105 Flame Orange, 207 Dark Blue, 208 Grass Green, 209 Dark Green, 213 Flesh, 217 Leather Brown
Incl. P&P: €24,94 (or so) (€21,69 at dragonminiatures.nl)
Pros: Good range of colours, comes with a brush
Cons: No metal/armour colour.

-Coat d'Arms Medieval Paint Set, 10 pots: 102 Black, 104 Blood Red, 109 Chainmail, 207 Dark Blue, 209 Dark Green, 213 Flesh, 217 Leather Brown, 218 Wood Brown, 220 Silver, 233 Linen
Incl. P&P: €24,94 (or so)
Pros: Both chainmail and silver, two browns
Cons: No real white (linen!), perhaps not enough team colours.

-Coat d'Arms Marine Paint Set: 101 White, 102 Black, 103 Sun Yellow, 142 Gun Metal, 148 Marine Blue, 149 Angel Red, 150 Shadow Grey, 151 Lupin Grey, 155 Angel Green, 165 Hawk Turquoise
Incl P&P: €24,94 (or so)
Pros: Good team colours
Cons: No human skin, no brown

-Coat d'Arm Goblin Paint Set: 108 Goblin Green, 109 Chainmail, 116 Barbarian Leather, 120 Hairy Brown, 121 Bogey Green, 125 Putrid Green, 126 Festering Brown, 130 Billous Brown, 151 Lupin Grey, 152 Scorpian Green
Incl P&P: €24,94 (or so)
Pros: Good for skaven en orc skins/furs
Cons: No/hardly team colours, so not a very good option.

And that's just a few from only TWO websites!
Anyone got any better ideas?

Last edited by Badoek on %b %06, %2013 - %15:%Sep; edited 3 times in total
 Jump to: