54 coaches online • Server time: 14:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jeguan

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

CroixFer wrote:
I do participate and will keep doing. I would accept to join the smack and wait till 8 teams are in to kick it off. I do not mind to wait and would like to see it done so I do not have to join the group every week to no avail...

Sometimes I forget to join. A reminder to last week participants (specially if not scheduled) would also be useful.

Regards and good luck. I would also like to see them working again.

Yes, if 6 teams have applied to PRO one week, then don't kick these 6 team, but let them move on to next week.

1) Yes

2) I have been buzy

4) If it was more likely that the SMACK would have enough participants. The prize is not important at all.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeguan wrote:

Yes, if 6 teams have applied to PRO one week, then don't kick these 6 team, but let them move on to next week.

But that will deter people who don't have much time. People apply when they think they have enough time over the next two/three weeks.

If the tournament does not kick off they will need to contact an admin to remove the team.

You could easily end up will people entered into tournaments that they no longer want to play in.

That isn't much fun for anyone. The main reason I stopped playing is difficulty scheduling and ending up playing vs tired & grumpy coaches at times that didn't really suit anyone.

Quote:
The prize is not important at all

Not to me either but it might help people who play squishier teams.

Last edited by koadah on %b %15, %2013 - %09:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
vaclav

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I put teams every week, and in all weight. The only loyal smack fun here, i guess.. I dont play R anymmore, just smacks...
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Good initiative shadow.

1) Do you currently, or have you in the past, participate in Scheduled Smacks?
@Yes, back from the time before CRP and Box where it was the next best thing after majors, and previously not having been able to commit to play 2 games back to back for the instant smacks.

2) If you do, why has your participation dropped?
@I still sign up, but as getting the 'sorry guys...' PM each week, I don't do it that often.

3) If you don't, why do you choose to not participate?

4) What would increase your interest in Scheduled Smacks, and drive you to participate more?
@ I like many of the ideas. I don't mind having my team frozen for a Smack, and the Smack kicking off when team no. 8 joins. It is not about the money - the little line on the coach page is enough. Please keep box of out it - too many play to maim rather than to win.

Last edited by DaCoach on %b %15, %2013 - %10:%Oct; edited 2 times in total
ThePeoplesChamp

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

CroixFer wrote:
I do participate and will keep doing. I would accept to join the smack and wait till 8 teams are in to kick it off. I do not mind to wait and would like to see it done so I do not have to join the group every week to no avail...

Sometimes I forget to join. A reminder to last week participants (specially if not scheduled) would also be useful.

Regards and good luck. I would also like to see them working again.

+1, really want to see these in action more.
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to play alot of smacks before but stopped doing it as i mostly play just one team and cant have it tied upp for a long time as i run them in majors also. Should start to prep a team just for smacks.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 12:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As this is a format i love, i shall give my response as a coach only.

a: Yes, many times. I've won one or two too.

b: RL has grabbed a lot of my euro evening gaming time and seen me less able to play Scheduled smack. Also CRaP is harming my BB fun factor more widely.

d: Reworking the bands, mainly by widening them. there are just less teams out there to fill each one. A tally system like Box activation, so i knew better which bands were filling. Abandoning TW.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have thrown teams into a few but I don't think any of them ever made. I love to play this more but mostly haven't because of 3)

2) If you do, why has your participation dropped? N/A

It is mostly a scheduling issue. I have time to play games in the evening but it works out to the middle of the night for Euro coaches. I can schedule about 2-3 games a week against Euro coaches without pulling my hair out - and I do that already in leagues and majors. If I were to enter smacks then I would have to drop some majors and leagues.

4) What would increase your interest in Scheduled Smacks, and drive you to participate more?
Widening the bands, the TW/cash on hand issues others brought up are things I would like to see improved too. But the main reason I don't play is scheduling, so anything that makes it easier to schedule would make me more likely to throw teams in. I don't have many great ideas for that (it just sucks and these create other problems I know), but here are some:
a) change the deadline to two weeks or 10 days
b) encouraged timezones - if I knew I was entering a smack where other people were mostly free during 0200-0400 bbtime I would enter all the time. I would enter sometimes, more than I do now, if I were entering a smack where people were mostly free during 20-22 bbtime. But as it is, I just don't find it worth it to enter something that I have a good chance of drawing people who are trying to play every day at 23 bbtime (which is a time I can never play)
c) bigger prizes. Scheduling with Euros is a big hassle, what with your football getting in the way and all that, but I do it for majors because they seem worth it. As smacks are now, they just aren't worth that hassle to me.

Anyway, I realize that those aren't great options for other reasons - but they are ideas anyway.
ersatzniere

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, loved it.

Difficult scheduling with non-euro-coaches.
Difficulty in playing more then 1 "forced" game per week, so I can just apply with 1 team. And that is often not participating.

Difficult scheduling with non-euro-coaches.

Set up smacks in time-zones. To fill the needed number of participant you can wait till 8 coaches in each bracket are found.

*no man of big words*
PainState

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes

Time issues and Iam a one trick pony team

N/A

A)Drop TW and go straight TV on the brackets. Since Iam a one trick pony coach with the Buccaneers and carry a cash reserve for the rebuilds the Bucs can enter Legend Smacks with a TV of 100 if we wanted to. But I would not since that is not really fun and we would get decimated.

I understand the concept behind TW but I think the formula for its calcualtion should drop the Gold aspect to it. It records your TV of the entire team regardless of MNG - treasury.

The ideas of a bank and so forth, they are fine, BUT way to much work. Just rework TW with out treasury OR go straight TV.

B) I do like the idea of 2 Scheduled Smacks. One for Europe and one for North America. You can apply to either/or and see if the numbers increase in the North America side of FUMBBL.

But I understanding keeping only one scheduled SMACK and see if the participation rate increases to such a point to make a seperate one for North America.

But then again how can you test a North American SS if it is not up and running and so forth. The litmus test of using Euro coaches in a time zone +6-9 of North America does not make much sense to see if those coaches will participate in North America SS during their night time gaming hours.

C)Cash reward of 100K. Now I understand some coaches dont care. But will they donate their winnings to charity? throw the money into the Rhine in protest?
The reward for winning a SMACK right now jazzes no one.

Switching to a cash prize can either boost participation or nothing will happen and we are back to square one. So there is no down side to changing up the prize.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, have played in several in the past (even made it to a final or two).

I still enter, but haven't been drawn for one in a LONG time. I tend to avoid the Legend SMACK because most of my teams are only "Legend" because they are carrying large treasuries.

N/A - I enter, but the bands I attempt never run

I've heard a lot of good ideas; I'll simply reiterate/expand the ones I thought were best:
Banding: I think reducing from 4 to 3 SMACKs with the banding Woodstock suggested is a great start (0-1400, 1400-1800, 1800+). I wouldn’t object to a 4th band of say 2100 or 2200; but going to 3 might help get numbers back. So it could be a future goal once things are moving again.

Bank/TW: I agree with most of the others that TW as it is now is inhibiting teams from entering. An alternative to removing Gold entirely or freezing assets would be one of the following:
a) Rework the formula to halve the value of gold in TW. Or possibly even ¼ the value. Some teams need a gold reserve to survive 3 straight games
b) Ignore a certain amount of gold completely (but not all). Possible limits could be 200k, 300k, or even 500k.
c) A combination of the two (gold up to a certain point is ignored then the rest is halved or quartered).
This option eliminates the admin having to take specific actions and/or trusting in coaches to ‘do the right thing’.

Time Zones: This is the biggest issue I have with playing in any tournament/league. I simply can’t play in the times that FUMBBL is most active (European late afternoon/early evening), thus creating scheduling challenges. I think if you reduced from 4 to 3 bands, you could do two SMACK schedules – a European schedule, and an 'All others' schedule. I’ve found that North Americans can often work with the Australasia time zones because it’s almost exactly 12 hours opposite. Then coaches can pick which of those two groups is most convenient to them.

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

1) yup.

2) tbh I'm not 100% sure when to apply, I normally see your blog/post about the number of applicants then apply.

3) see 2.

4) Advertisement of the smacks could be better.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2013 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

SpacemanJames wrote:
4) Advertisement of the smacks could be better.

I would have phrased it differently, but he has a good point.

Would it be possible to have multiple advertisements with appliation numbers in the days leading up to the draw?

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow,

I am bit surprised to hear all the different mentions to time zones. Two separate scheduled SMACKs per launch sounds interesting as long as they were equal. Separate is important, but being equal is key. Yeah, that should totally be the slogan for your initiative. Separate but Equal... brought to you by shadow. Smile

__Synn
**Make title belts for the current SMACK title holder. Men love fighting over belts...
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I signed up a couple of times and kept finding there weren't enough applicants. The TW thing is a bit of a drag too. Being able to 'lock' funds for the duration of a tourney season to keep them from contributing to TW would be helpful.

Jump to: