35 coaches online • Server time: 00:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:

I think you will struggle to increase popularity of SMACKs without making a change that requires some intervention by Christer. The current weekly-draw format is as tedious for the entrants as it is for you, I'm sure. When you apply 4 teams 3 weeks on the trot and nothing kicks off, it's easy to stop applying.

I don't think automating the system is the problem.
Obviously the bands are too narrow. Coaches need to get stuck in to popularising it if they want it to be a success.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
a lot of stuff said with more passion and good intentions than tact and this:

I don't like the treasury locking suggestion. You want to build a vast horde of treasury, that's up to you. Perhaps TW could be tweaked though (e.g. TV + treasury/2).

Chainsaw, I like you and I enjoy reading a lot of the stuff you post on the site. Seriously. But most of what you said here was pretty inflamatory and came across poorly. Shadow excercised more restraint in his reply than I expected (good on him). Please don't go poking a hornet's nest with a stick. I know you want to help and you have some ideas you are passionate about, but try to use some discretion when sharing them.

I do agree with the TW formula being tweaked, though. Thanks for crediting me with bringing it up earlier in the thread Wink

[edited reply to Chainsaw]: I accept you didn't mean it as inflammatory, and may still not see it as so. But some (like me) will/did read it that way because it's hard to convey tone in this format. Fair enough.

I also agree we shouldn't go overboard with 'great minds'. Just as long as someone doesn't bring up a 'stereo' comparison. It is a reasonable idea that may or may not be feasible.

Last edited by Cavetroll on %b %16, %2013 - %19:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree that I was inflammatory.

I'd love to see SMACKs more popular. I've applied 100s of times over the last year.

Sorry for not crediting you re:TW/treasury - I hadn't seen it. (I guess you could consider it validation that somebody else independently had a similar idea / I would say great minds think alike but I don't want to abuse the word great!)

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
I simply want to know if changing the TW could be done easily, and more importantly, do you think it would make a positive difference?

To my understanding(and again, it's a backend algorithm that I have no hand in), it should be just a tweak to the values that are taken into account. IE: Instead of X+Y+Z=TW, the algorithm is changed to X+Z=TW.

Again, just my understanding, and I could be completely off on this.

Cavetroll wrote:
Something I didn't think about until today is that any changes to TW would affect ALL tournaments, not just SMACKs. So maybe it's something that would involve the buy in of all official tournament admins (Purple Chest especially). But I still think it is an idea worth considering as an alternative to freezing funds.

This is the rub. An educated guess tells me that TW is applied across the board, and is not on a case-by-case basis, so you're right, it would be all or nothing.

There is an alternative though.

When a team is applied to a group, we receive both Rating & TW as metrics for the team, without having to go to the team page to get further info.

Cycles could be applied based on Rating instead of TW, without making any modifications to the system at all. Additionally, this would not affect any other tournaments, and would only apply to Smacks, as other tournaments could simply use the TW value instead.

So that is an easily implemented alternative. The catch is the pros/cons would have to be weighed to determine any potential issues to doing it this way as opposed to doing a TW modification.

--j

ImageImage
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

What about applying the limit to healthy TV (that is, TV plus missing player value) for admittance, and then each round capping Petty Cash at (cap-TV)?

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO "we" are way over thinking this in respect to TW. Just kill off TW go straight up TV and give it a go.

I requires NO work. Revamp the TV ranges and see how it all plays out.

If the TV cheese dogs show up..so what...somebody showed up and that is the point of this.

January we revist, adjust accordingly.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the issue with TV is not "min-maxing" (we have that in Scheduled SMACKs anyway as far as I know), but missing players. If you have a solid team but two legends are missing, you might apply for the mid level Scheduled SMACK - and if you manage to get into round 2, you suddenly have +350k of (assumed well-invested) TV.

Edit:
You could also enter an 11 players squad just below the TV limit and buy 3 more players after the first match.

Things like that is why TW was invented in the first place, I guess.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Do you currently, or have you in the past, participate in Scheduled Smacks?
No.

3) If you don't, why do you choose to not participate?
I plead the fifth.

4) What would increase your interest in Scheduled Smacks, and drive you to participate more?
Obviously an opportunity to use a Blackbox team.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I havent read most of what is here. I do want to pipe in. I would love to play in some Smacks. The problem is that I live in NA and have a hard time scheduling vs Euros. If there was an all NA smack, Id be down. I think the BBtime zone people would also agree its hard to link up with us colonists.

Jeffro
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 21:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Somertown was thinking of doing NA/Euro separate BBB leagues but that seemed to have petered out. One thing i can suggest? Something that would require Zero changing of the site rules/etc is advertising these events. Maybe above the Main Item Bar there could be small banners for each event. Or above coach team information where we usually put our announcements for the major tournaments. there are hundreds of active coaches im sure have the availability to join but perhaps many of them just dont know how or are too lazy to find out. give them some 1cm x 3cm banners to click on... We can try changing the layout for the smacks/minors/etc without touching the backend to make it seem new and fun.

If anything some newer coaches or non-english coaches that wouldnt know otherwise would find something to join. If this post is merely a ramble I can write up some UI to show my point. Been doing it for work and friends for a while and proper "advertising can always increase influx.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
Maybe above the Main Item Bar there could be small banners for each event. Or above coach team information where we usually put our announcements for the major tournaments. there are hundreds of active coaches im sure have the availability to join but perhaps many of them just dont know how or are too lazy to find out. give them some 1cm x 3cm banners to click on... We can try changing the layout for the smacks/minors/etc without touching the backend to make it seem new and fun.

We use the text bar for tournament announcements, but the space is limited(think tweet length), and using images, or imagelinking isn't really plausible. It would end up requiring some modifications to the backend. How much, though, I have no idea.

--j

ImageImage
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 21:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

We use the text bar for tournament announcements, but the space is limited(think tweet length), and using images, or imagelinking isn't really plausible. It would end up requiring some modifications to the backend. How much, though, I have no idea.

--j

that was just one place to put it. placing it under the row with the FUMBBL logo and above the main menu bar could work too. The whole point is just to make sure EVERYONE sees that there are smacks and brawls etc. I can show you tonight once i get home as well.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Further to my point, and your reply 14: I'd intended CR based brackets to be used instead of TW, not alongside. But that's a minor clarification, and doesn't change the backend and/or admin work needed, so fair enough.

Main point, and new idea: what about concentrating the participants by having a SMACK at different levels each week? e.g. Week 1 has a 1250 TW Smack only. Week 2 1500, week 3 1750, week 4 2k. Next month, start again.

Admittedly, this is more of a workaround for reduced participation than a way to increase it.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I bet if you made participating in a smack of some form a qualifier to get into the qualifiers of a Major, you would get more people playing

Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2013 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

gamelsetlmatch wrote:
I bet if you made participating in a smack of some form a qualifier to get into the qualifiers of a Major, you would get more people playing

With all due respect, sir, boooo to this!

Forcing people to do something they may not be interested in so that they can participate in another activity they are interested in is just poor form.

Jump to: