90 coaches online • Server time: 21:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

What about a flexible TW band? Say, keep it at 1250/1500/1750/2M/unlimited, but if not enough teams apply at 2M or unlimited, bunch them together. And if not enough teams apply at the two together, throw in the 1750 bracket....

Or instead of firm brackets, just group them "high" and "low".

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

1 yes for my free time
2 not enough time
4 more time to arrange match
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
1) Do you currently, or have you in the past, participate in Scheduled Smacks?
2) If you do, why has your participation dropped?
3) If you don't, why do you choose to not participate?
4) What would increase your interest in Scheduled Smacks, and drive you to participate more?
--j

1) Yes, usually across all brackest if I have teams that fit.
2) Just too infrequently getting into a SMACK. I have to remember to do it on a Wednesday (I have a poor memory) as I often want to enter teams I actively play in ranked. As the application is so rarely successful as of late, I often forget. It's not exactly motivating to see shadows blog with 0 applicants for most brackets. Given that you have no idea how many people have applied prior to shadows weekly blog, it's just a process that lacks transparency.
4. a) Them starting more quickly - as in, when 8 teams are in a bracket, kick it off. b) Not getting applied teams booted every week. c) Being able to see how many teams are already applied.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Oazard wrote:
Could be interresting to investigate what would have been the effect of the new bands on the last weeks applications. Would it have increased the number of smack launched? If the data are saved somewhere, I can look at this.

Given that a) I haven't fully committed to changing the bands, and b) I haven't made any decisions on what those bands would be...

It'd be hard to determine that just yet Wink

--j

ImageImage
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
What about a flexible TW band? Say, keep it at 1250/1500/1750/2M/unlimited, but if not enough teams apply at 2M or unlimited, bunch them together. And if not enough teams apply at the two together, throw in the 1750 bracket....

I'm less enthused about this option than others might be. It would certainly influence my decision to enter lower TW teams that might be forced to play up significantly in TV due to lack of numbers.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2013 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Put a link to apply to scheduled smacks on every bodies page on Monday and Tuesday. Similar to how you advertise for other tourneys like the FC, GLT, and Minors...

Seems simple and might give you that biggest bang for your buck until you sort out the other considerations you have.

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2013 - 04:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:

I'm less enthused about this option than others might be. It would certainly influence my decision to enter lower TW teams that might be forced to play up significantly in TV due to lack of numbers.
This is easy to resolve with a PM ("don't push me up more than one bracket to get me into a tournament, please,") or even a one-bracket rule so you'll never be up more than 250k.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2013 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not going to go down the road of "flexible" rules. People apply to Smacks with an expectation of "I'm going to apply for this specific range". I'm not going to start shifting teams around just to fill out a bracket.

And yes, while I am ok with coaches sending me a PM requesting only 1 team in a bracket, or whatever, I'm not going to manage Smacks by PM. It causes way too much inconvenience on both coaches, and myself, and the system is supposed to be simplified, not "Do this, but if you want this, do this, but not if you want that over there."

Stop trying to come up with ways to make the process more complicated.

--j

ImageImage
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2013 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
Just to clear up some of the discussion and focus on some of the other suggestions that have come across...

TW Bands, periodic championships and prize modifications are three of the suggestions that I'm doing some research into to determine how to best manipulate them to benefit the community.

--j

Is there anything new on these fronts? Are you still open to ideas or do you have a good idea of what you want to do already and are just waiting to see what the workload will entail?

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2013 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...

I just posted the thread 4 days ago...and that quote was yesterday....

...you do the math Razz

But more direct to your question, I'll listen to any suggestion on improvements, as I have no desire to close the discussion, but I'd much prefer to not have a trend of "Is it ready yet?" or "Got any updates yet?".

--j

ImageImage
Synn

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2013 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Fatty,

Isn't it possible to have an open call for teams for the SMACKs. Then once the teams are entered, take the top X amount of teams (X being a number divided by 8 ) and then sorting by TV have your groups.

__Synn
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2013 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
Fatty,

Isn't it possible to have an open call for teams for the SMACKs. Then once the teams are entered, take the top X amount of teams (X being a number divided by 8 ) and then sorting by TV have your groups.

__Synn

Complicated by the fact that often one coach may enter multiple teams (which this open format would not be friendly to).

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2013 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
Synn wrote:
Fatty,

__Synn

Complicated by the fact that often one coach may enter multiple teams (which this open format would not be friendly to).

That is not really a big problem. Especially if the teams have a good TV gap between them.

Each tournament is only eight teams so spotting that a coach is in there twice should not be too difficult. Teams in different tournaments is fine as long as it doesn't cause another coach to miss out completely.

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2013 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
Fatty,

__Synn

I figured my previous answer about "Flexible" bands would cover this. Obviously I was wrong.

I'm not doing open Smacks.

Period.

Moving on.

--j

ImageImage
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2013 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Three SMACKS (in three different TW classes) started this week. Pretty good, I'd say! Smile

Looking forward to the announcement of the future categorization system...

Jump to: