19 coaches online • Server time: 07:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Synn

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:

Forcing people to do something they may not be interested in so that they can participate in another activity they are interested in is just poor form.

This is how some women end up with husbands Laughing

__Synn
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Forcing? Do I really need to remind you that we are talking about a Major Tournament here? If they want to play for the lulz...there are plenty of leagues around here. So, don't try to hand me the 'sportsmanship' speech here.

Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I love to participate in all Majors, even in bad times. I don't know if I could do the same thing with SMACKs, even if that would lead to a qualification.

However, winning most SMACKs could mean auto-qualification for some Major. Or something like that.

Someone mentioned the FUMBBL Tour though. If my vague memory of the format/series is correct, that might be something.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
Cavetroll wrote:

Forcing people to do something they may not be interested in so that they can participate in another activity they are interested in is just poor form.

This is how some women end up with husbands Laughing

__Synn

Good one, lol

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

gamelsetlmatch wrote:
I bet if you made participating in a smack of some form a qualifier to get into the qualifiers of a Major, you would get more people playing

Won't happen. Full stop.

--j

ImageImage
zakatan

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I've read this thread diagonally so I might have missed some of the suggestions, which I'm sure are good ones.

I applied in sched smacks almost weekly for some time, often in different brackets. Then I stopped playing completely, and when I came back my game ratio decreased to a few per month. So the fact that I'm not applying anymore is just a consequence that I hardly play.

One of the things that bothered me most was the TW capping, which could use some fixing. And even using some other way to create the brackets, I'd like to bring back the idea of open smacks, that is, with no caps at all. I think it is a format that might work, totally solving the cash hording issue, and allowing teams that play more comfortably with inducements join smacks where they can make full use of them.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
1) Do you currently, or have you in the past, participate in Scheduled Smacks?
2) If you do, why has your participation dropped?
3) If you don't, why do you choose to not participate?
4) What would increase your interest in Scheduled Smacks, and drive you to participate more?
--j

1) yes, entered a team rather often. almost always the legend category.
2) some teams are waiting for their XFL
3) n/a
4) Get the XFLs moving again. I volunteer to help if needed.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:

Someone mentioned the FUMBBL Tour though. If my vague memory of the format/series is correct, that might be something.

I am not sure what the plan is with the Tour. What I heard did seem very heavily weighted towards Minors.

A Smack (& Brawl) Championship would be cool, though it is not easy to come up with a good format.

Coaches who are able to enter a lot of events have a big advantage so it is probably bit of a turn off for some more casual coaches.

You could go for something like a six month season and your best n results count. Though if n is too low it would be too easy for the heavyweights but too high would be discouraging for the casuals.

Should a coach who only plays low TV be a champion over coaches who mainly play high TV?
It all seems a lot easier with an Open or Brawl style Smack. At least then you are less likely to lose out because the tournament you needed to win didn't run.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I second the idea of open SMACKs or something like that. I'd still prefer teams being grouped by TV/new TW, but don't mind having bigger gaps if not enough teams applied.

I guess that's how BBBs work. Might kind of go agains the idea of Ranked being more plannable and structured (if that's the case after all).

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

This week, there were 16 coaches applying to the Smacks. Enough for 2 smacks but as we applied in different brackets, no smacks were launched. For me, it s clearly not a problem of participants but a problem of category. Adjusting TV/TW bands or limiting acceptance based on coach request may be nice solutions. Limiting acceptance would be great as I could apply teams in every bands and play for instance only 1 smack per week (but some extra work for Shadow).
Another solution could be to play only one range of Smack per week and to announce the selected range one week in advance. May be frustrating for the coaches able to play 10 smacks a week but at least there will be smacks weekly again. It could be a short term (and unofficial) solution to revive the events and widen the pool of coaches participating.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

How about this.

Create a brand new group for an Open Smack.

A team may apply to both regular and the Open Smack.

Run a maximum of one or two regular Smack categories.
Ideally improve the categories & TW first. Clearly advertise which one/two will be running.

Kick off the regular Smacks first.

Then try to kick off the Open Smack with the teams still available to it.
Teams already in a regular Smack should not now appear in the selection list..

Edit: The Open Smack could alternate between allocating teams by e.g. random, top down, bottom up, middle out by TV or TW.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clear up some of the discussion and focus on some of the other suggestions that have come across...

Open Smacks are another topic(like R/B) that comes up all the time. Right now, I'm not open to the suggestion of running open Smacks. I get the interest for the coaches who are constantly suggesting it, but for this current project, I'm not looking to recreate the wheel. I'm just looking for the biggest return on investment for the least site impacting changes.

TW Bands, periodic championships and prize modifications are three of the suggestions that I'm doing some research into to determine how to best manipulate them to benefit the community.

--j

ImageImage
Mateuszzzzzz

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Oazard wrote:
This week, there were 16 coaches applying to the Smacks. Enough for 2 smacks but as we applied in different brackets, no smacks were launched.

Pro smack (151-175) have launched.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

An Open Smack is really just a Legend Smack which also admits lower TV teams. It's the same wheel . Wink

Putting it in a new group is just to reduce confusion and admin effort.

Even if you drop to three categories you could still end up with 21 teams but no tournaments running.
Unless you move to running just one category a week that is.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2013 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Mateuszzzzzz wrote:
Oazard wrote:
This week, there were 16 coaches applying to the Smacks. Enough for 2 smacks but as we applied in different brackets, no smacks were launched.

Pro smack (151-175) have launched.

I was in the unlucky range. I forgot to check the tournament page. Nevertheless 16 teams and around 10 extra coaches were eager to smack and got the frustrating message.
Running one category a week makes only 7 poor guys a week in the worst case.

koadah wrote:

Even if you drop to three categories you could still end up with 21 teams but no tournaments running.
Unless you move to running just one category a week that is.

Could be interresting to investigate what would have been the effect of the new bands on the last weeks applications. Would it have increased the number of smack launched? If the data are saved somewhere, I can look at this.

Last edited by Oazard on %b %17, %2013 - %16:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: