65 coaches online • Server time: 20:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is Warhammer still worth playing for fun?
Yes! - and I will tell you why...
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
No! - and I will tell you why...
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Don't know / can't comment.
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 33

Anzelak

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I played Fantasy for around six years before basically getting priced out. I actually prefer games like Battlelore and Runewars now.

All of this is completely free. It's worth a look. I'm not going to lie, some of it is crap. But some of it is great. When I want to get out a big army and thrash a battle out with a few mates I think this is far superior to WH Fantasy. There are other open sourcey wargame rules out there as well. A lot are really, really, really bad, but some are quite good.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
In the end if you wanna play a big classic fantasy wargame with big regiments and heroes and magic and monsters I think it's hard to find a better package than GW's. And as said it's also important that so many play it when you need someone to play with.

+1 to this really.

I think alot of it comes down to which armies you like the look of, fluff behind them etc...

e.g. I have an ogre army, my reasons for going for Ogre were - 1, easy to pain to a good TT standard without much bother. 2, very small model count. 3, I really like the look of them.

I have about a 2k army of them and no Gnoblars. I would need hundreds of Gnoblars to make my army good, but I cba to buy them and paint them, so I just let my army be substandard. But I have fun with them so thats all that matters imo.

High Elves are very good, from a competative point of view and if you get a lord on dragon and the griffon with character your army probably wont be too big miniature count wise and would be quite managable. You should also be able to pick up the High Elf half of the starter box set for a good price on ebay. which will help get you started.

The other good thing about high elves is it is an army that will never get neglected by GW. They will always up date their models and keep them competative.

Last edited by Garion on %b %20, %2013 - %15:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
baelnic

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought I wanted to play Warhammer but really I just wanted epic armies. For that purpose I always found Warmaster WAY better than Warhammer. You could put way more figures on the field and it felt like you could maneuver your way into and out of problems.
Sammler_der_Seelen

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel with you Sad grabbing these ultimate paint set (you have to paint fast ,in 1-2 years all of the paints are gone)have done that too some years ago:).To get some minis Ebay UK is the best place to go for.
My personel Hitlist of GW games are 1.Epic/Titan Legions 2.BB Smile 3. Man o War and on Place 4. Warhammer and 40k (both of them are fine for causual games).As Paints i say Vallejo Game Color are damn fine Stuff (you can put them easily 5-6 years in a corner than start to paint again without any problems).

For painting i think Eldar or Highelfs are easy to paint to a resonable Standard (and for the bit extra Kick try Armypainter Quickshade ,that is a damn easy way to get some shades on huge armys )though it feels a bit like cheating Wink.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, its BB, then Necromunda and Man O' War (neither in forever, really enjoyed both), then very rarely Mordheim and 40k, and that's it. I wish I could like Gorkamorka: I tried so hard. Oh, and around Halloween, we bust out Fury of Dracula. Does that count? Like Scotland Yard with fighting. My favorite thing about Necromunda was the idea of a LOS-based game on a table that's so cluttered you can't be sure if that's a cable draped around yet another set of crisscrossing bulkheads, or if it's the back of a guy's head and you can take a shot. It was also a great anti-BB, because you could be so opportunist: "6+? Hellz ya!"

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl wasn't really invented to be an entry level game, it was more of an 'extra' game.

Generally if you played 40k or WHFB (40k had only just come out) a lot of punters didn't want to paint and buy a whole new army. So as a second game BB was a great option.

BB kind of put itself above the other second games of the time (space hulk or dark future).

If you start up as a small group, how about downsizing. 15mm metal figs are ridiculously cheap compared. Something like demonworld is also amazing quality.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion, the best games created by GW were the ones requiring the least mini's;

Blood Bowl, Man-O-War, Necromunda.

The other games the rules change so often it's impossible. Last time I played Warhammer I spent 50 minutes playing and 2 hours checking / disputing silly rules.

The fewer the mini's the more GW seemed to concentrate on the rules. The more mini's the more GW seemed to concentrate on selling the mini's.

I recommend sticking with 40k, or maybe even trying epic. But Warhammer ... unless you know several people still playing it ... nah.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 BB, Necromunda are the two best by far imo, then mordheim and Man O war. the rest are miles away in terms of quality of rules. I always felt there was a lot of fun to be had with Morheim, especially in building the city. If i had the space in a garage or something I would probably start making the city in to 1x1 jigsaw pieces now. With tunnels bridges, waterways, allys, pubs, houses,squats, pipes etc... it would be amazing to play on a board like this - http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1337/49/1337497124098.jpg

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2013 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Warhammer can be fun to play, but it depends on who you're playing against. The rules system is full of loopholes an oddities that rules lawyers and munchkins can abuse to make the game unfun, so I would suggest looking around for your local gaming clubs and going along to spectate before spending anything to see if the players are the sort you might enjoy facing.

2)GW models cost a bomb; generally more than double what they did when I started 10 years ago, but they don't seem to update their prices except when they replace their models. Finding their older plastic models second hand is usually the cheapest (barring getting lucky at a car boot sale), particularly if you are willing to buy other people's paint jobs. Also, look out for the sets from the starter boxes, as they tend to be a lot cheaper than other figures; the Island of Blood set from a few years ago had high elves in and might still be easy to find second hand. Even so, you're probably looking at £200+ for a moderate sized army.
If you aren't planning to play at stricter GW stores and tournaments you can use non GW models; Mantic do the cheapest I've seen, but they are also noticably uglier and the scale doesn't quite match GW models. You could also [legally acquire] the rules from [reputable sources], or rely on borrowing other people's rulebooks.

3) I'm only 20something, and moved away from Aylesbury after uni (although I do visit sometimes), but there at least used to be a few players around. I would suggest asking in either the GW store itself or at the comic shop in Friar's Square to find gaming groups.
OTS

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy both games. Collecting and painting the armies is the most fun for me. I think you get premium product at premium price. I've never understood the faction that says GW is evil for charging a lot. Businesses are in the business make money... weird I know.

Anyway.. if you have the time and money WFB and 40k are definitely worth it.

If you live out in the middle of nowhere and will never find someone to play against then you may want to just concentrate on painting the models you like no matter which army they come from and then put them on display.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

WHFB and W40K are not anymore fun as they used to be. Back in the old days, you could have fun even with Sisters of Battle. 2 troops and one HQ and you were done. let's roll.

everything has been already said, and I agree with the people before me: GW aims at selling minitures. If I had a rapid prototyper I could think about replicate minis and selling them on the black market.... I am a fine 3D cad-er Razz

best games from gw are BB, Necromunda, Epic:Armageddon, Epic for WHFB (I can't remember the name...) and Battlefleet Gothic. all playable with few minis...

ah, and HEROQUEST Very Happy in 20 years, I've never been able to play a character different from the dwarf.

Scaramanga

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Warhammer is a very bad set of rules.
There is some mass battle fantasy rules better than that and cheaper (Mayhem, Armies of Arcana).
Uedder

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Mordheim is THE WAY to go! Cheap, lots of fun and building the battlefield is great fun too!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 03:23 Reply with quote Back to top

re minis, could you not just buy a 3d printer, scan them (or DL a scan from the web (surely someone has put some up)) and then print them?

a question from a 3d printing noob

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2013/11/21/proxy-war-using-3d-printing-take-games-workshop-dominance-tabletop-wargaming/

and

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/452866-how-home-3d-printers-are-disrupting-miniature-gaming/

etc

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2013 - 03:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You'd need a very high-end (and therefore pricey) 3D printer to get that kind of detail. And if you don't care about that, it's cheaper to proxy with whatever you have lying around than go to the trouble of using a cheap printer. But it may be possible before long to do just that, yes.