30 coaches online • Server time: 09:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is my idea for Bretonnia team in this game. While I am far from an expert on Warhammer lore, I do know Bretonnia is split between the well equipped knights, and peasents used as often literal cannon fodder. I also wanted to make a more "jack of all trades" army, like the humans forced to play to the enemies team's weaknesses and switch play styles on the fly, but to do it a different way to the humans. Here is what I came up with.

Bretonnian Knights: 0-2 MA 7, ST 4, AG 3, AV 9 Diving Catch Animosity Skills: GS/AP Cost: 130,000
The knights are meant to be the major strength of the team. Giving some much needed muscle, while still being agile enough to be a viable ball carrier. However, they are arrogant and with animosity will refuse to give the ball away to anyone of lesser blood (I.E. they have to make an animosity roll in handing off/passing the ball to anyone but the other Bretonnian knight) I am not sure if I made them to expensive or not.

Men-At-Arms: 0-3 MA 6, ST 4, AG 3, AV 9 Block Diving Tackle Skills: GS/SA 100,000
More like blockers than traditional blitzers, they are able to really disrupt agility teams if placed in the correct position while providing some much needed block. I am wary about how many this team should or shouldn't be allowed to have.

Bowman: 0-2 MA 6, ST 3, AG 3, AV 7 Sure Hands, Pass, Strong Arm, Secret Weapon Skills: GP/SA 60,000

Starting out with strong arm means they can become a very potent deep passing threat. However, with secret weapon, plus their low armor means they won't be in the game for very long. Least they are cheap and you can hire two for each half.

Runners: 0-2 MA 7, ST 2, AG 3, AV 7 Catch Dodge Sprint Skills GA/SP 60,000
Between the Runners and the Knights, you have four players who can catch the ball and have a good amount of movement to move around. They are much less reliable than their normal human counterparts, having to rely on Sprint (thus, GFI rolls) to move about the pitch.

Peasants: 0-16 MA 6, ST 3, AG 3, AV 7 Skills G/SAP 40,000
Cheap, numerous and expendable. These linemen won't live very long. However, if use only to absorb hits for the rest of your team, and they go down, you will find the rest of your team outnumbered and swarmed.

Rerolls: 50,000

Apothicary: Yes

Feed back and opinions will be appreciated.
cowhead

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

There is already a Bretonnian roster in use in some circles which looks like this.

0-16 Peasant 40,000 6 3 2 7 Fend G ASP
0-4 Yeomen 70,000 6 3 3 8 Wrestle GS AP
0-4 Knight 120,000 8 3 3 8 Block, Catch, Dauntless GS AP

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think bowmen is a no no personally.

Also nearly all positionals are over described. No offence, I really despise this, it's my number one hate. I mean if a standard human from across the world is a 6 3 3 8 no skills G access, why would a men at arms; another standardish human have such better attributes? Simply, they wouldn't. If you have a human, I think you need a good reason to give them extra skills.

I agree with your peasants. Runners can be called Squires. I like the animosity rule and fluff.

There are a few Bretonnian rosters. I.e. the old 4th ed, Plasmoid's and a load of others. Also I think there is room for different types of knights.

The roster I use is this:

0-2 Questing Knights 5 4 2 9 Thick Skull Stand firm (never run from battle) GS/AP
0-4 Knights Errant 7 3 3 9 Block GS/AP
0-2 Squires 7 3 3 7 Sure hands GP/AS
0-16 Peasants 7 3 3 7 G/SAP

Been playing them for a bit, and they do ok.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

cowhead wrote:
There is already a Bretonnian roster in use in some circles which looks like this.

0-16 Peasant 40,000 6 3 2 7 Fend G ASP
0-4 Yeomen 70,000 6 3 3 8 Wrestle GS AP
0-4 Knight 120,000 8 3 3 8 Block, Catch, Dauntless GS AP

Yup this is Plasmoids. I like that Plasmoids expands BB, and I like some of the rule changes he describes. I really really don't like his rosters though. But we've been there before on this one.

I do do use those fantastic icons btw Wink

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %11, %2014 - %23:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually quite like Plasmoid's roster. I'd happily give it a play...it feels and looks different to any other roster out there; which for me, is an important prerequisite.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

When the pie in the sky house ruled rosters come round every few months, Brettonians tend to pop up, and I'm never sure why. They just feel enormously dull to me. I mean, if you're going to be creative and come up with something to use on a wet weekend in your back garden, go outside the box. Invent a new big guy, a new Stunty, give a Troll Big Hand, I don't know. This lot are just all enormously beige. Do they just do the rounds because they're in other GW games? Is that a good enough reason?

On the plus side, it's not like we'll ever see any. Phew.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well this is the thing, and what I'll continue to harp on about. If you make creatures unrealistic, when GW spent years trying to keep this integrity?

If you were to keep down that path, you lose races and background and just have unbelievable inhuman pieces with interesting characteristics.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
When the pie in the sky house ruled rosters come round every few months, Brettonians tend to pop up, and I'm never sure why. They just feel enormously dull to me. I mean, if you're going to be creative and come up with something to use on a wet weekend in your back garden, go outside the box. Invent a new big guy, a new Stunty, give a Troll Big Hand, I don't know. This lot are just all enormously beige. Do they just do the rounds because they're in other GW games? Is that a good enough reason?

On the plus side, it's not like we'll ever see any. Phew.

Yeah, take a look at Cowhead's icons though. Don't you feel that they aren't interesting to play with?

It's easy to come up with an interesting to play roster, that's not hard at all.

What is hard is to come up with an interesting to play roster, a believable theme and with believable characters that have attributes similar to creatures of a similar nature (if you get that last part).
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, lovely icons. Well, as far as the current style goes (old icons yey, etc.).

But the point I'm trying to make is, this is house ruled stuff, why be beige about it? When are you going to play this team other than in some weird off season friendly in your shed? If I'm killing two hours that way, it's going to be laser beams and A-bombs if I do it at all. Official they will not be, so why follow rules? Not that I'd use my two hours that way, I'd rather iron my sheets than play house ruled BB, but you get my point. Isn't that why Stunty Leeg is bonkers?

There are too many rubbish skills for too little interest on that roster for me, Slann make good use of terrible skills (DC and VLL) in a genuinely interesting way, these guys have AG3 Catch and faster, fragile Skeletons with Fend. I mean, erm... No. Even outside of that roster, the theme of Bretonnians is just so uninspiring. It's good that we have vanilla ice cream in BB (Hoomans), why would you introduce dry toast too?

Shrug. Someone link Jock's thread of nonsense animal rosters. That's the kind of silliness house ruled rosters need for my money.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Sure, lovely icons. Well, as far as the current style goes (old icons yey, etc.).

Ahhh I forgot that you were a fan of the original Pat icons. You know he did a set of Brets, right?

Purplegoo wrote:

But the point I'm trying to make is, this is house ruled stuff, why be beige about it? When are you going to play this team other than in some weird off season friendly in your shed? If I'm killing two hours that way, it's going to be laser beams and A-bombs if I do it at all. Official they will not be, so why follow rules? Not that I'd use my two hours that way, I'd rather iron my sheets than play house ruled BB, but you get my point.

Which ruleset? If it's Plasmoid's, his stuff is far more than in the garden shed. It's used in certain leagues and only the other day someone was talking about using them in their TT league.

With frustration of the current ruleset, more and more people are going to become interested in work like this. So if your League using them, they're as good as official for you.

As for what rosters people want to use in shed, that's really up to the shed owner.

Purplegoo wrote:

Shrug. Someone link Jock's thread of nonsense animal rosters. That's the kind of silliness house ruled rosters need for my money.

I think your stance on house rules, is very much right on the far side of anti. I don't believe most players are as vehemently against house ruling as you. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However for us that want to do these sort of rosters, they're not silly.
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I had heard of the other roster, didn't seem so interesting to me. Reading the comments makes me feel kind of stupid now. X_X

Most of the other factions from the Warhammer universe just seemed over represented, although I guess Norse and Amazons are humans as well. I was striving for viable, "Vampire like" team, with a handful of very powerful players backed up by cheap but not very good support, who could do a bit of everything well but not excell at any one strat. I also wanted to test out a non-star player with a passing based secret weapon. I didn't think I was being so "biege," I an sorry for that.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't have to be sorry. I mean, this is your roster, so you can do what you want with it.

The BBRC did say that they didn't want anymore human rosters, as there were enough already (hence no Brets).

I think if you wanted a Vamp type roster with weaknesses maybe Daemons or something.

One thing I don't understand is how can anything be over represented? I mean if you don't like a roster, don't use it or play against it. If there were 8 elven rosters, does that make the gaming environment worse, because they're overly represented?

I don't think so. Simply the Elven players dilute themselves between the extra rosters, rather than them being over populated.

I'd like to see more rosters with small differences.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I shan't go around and around, Mousey, but what frustration with the current rules? That only exists online, exactly where you can't easily use house ruled rosters. Well, unless you count Khorne or Pbem. And you don't, right?

I'll stop being negative. Enjoy the back of the envelope exercise. But more lasers! Although I'm not sure that's possible under the Bretonnian umbrella. Wink
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a Bretonnian team should look like this:

0-16 Bretonnian Squire 6 3 3 8 G 50K
0-2 Bretonian Cleric 6 3 3 8 sure hands Pass 70k G,P
0-4 Bretonnian Errand Knight 8 2 3 7 dodge catch 70k G,A
0-4 Bretonnian Grail Knight 7 3 3 8 Block 90K G, S
0-1 Bretonnian Ogre 5 5 2 9 thick skull mighty blow throw teammate loner bonehead

rerolls 50K
apothecary 50k

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

(insert rage of pressing 'post reply' whilst typing a quick reply here, I so hate this change).

I think I've seen that roster somewhere before Ark......not sure where though

For the sake of discussion, rather than a debate or argument:

I do agree, that the frustration with the rules, does lay online. For the tournament scene the rules are in a good place. However I have seen talk of TT Leagues experimenting with NTBB, and if so the Bret roster isn't far behind. Most likely the problems with online Leagues are spilling over onto to larger TT Leagues.

Yes, using this roster on FUMBBL or Cyanide is impossible. Not sure about PBeM. However if you have a standalone client it's very very easy. The icons are even made for you (whether you prefer Pats or Cowheads) and look fantastic. So I think the topic is relevant, and for me it's such fun, I wonder why more don't do it.

TT though is a better place for experimental rosters (as long as you are both familiar with them), as creating the figures is fun, and you can add interesting house rules.

For example for Gnomes I use: Gnomes are known to be the supreme illusionists. To represent this at the start of each half, the Gnome coach may place 6 extra gnomes on the pitch. These are not real players but are illusions and disappear once blocked or a player leaves their tackle zone.

You can do something similar with standalone clients, but not so polished.
 Jump to: