14 coaches online • Server time: 07:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post killing by fun?goto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should players in the box take stats or skills to wreck stuff with?
Stats
65%
 65%  [ 19 ]
Bash Skills
34%
 34%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 29

gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried out making a Chaos team in the Blackbox and it didn't go as planned and even though I built a cool team that could do cool stuff, it just wasn't the environment to have that team in. So, I was going to take a shot on playing some Norse.
I figured the people who make teams who have taken claws as a skills, just to make sure they kill what they hit, can have wasted Team Value and play the minmax game this way. The Linos are cheap enough and I'll just keep it simple on a team where everyone has block. I am in shock at the number of wreckless 1d blocks that are thrown either out of despiration or pure blood lust, so bang away!

Before I had any skill rolls I planned to just CPOMB the Snow Troll and T/POMB the blitzers all while the Linemen run around the field with all kinds of Fend

Until...

I roll 5,5 for the Snow Troll, 5,5 for the Berzerker and 5,6 for a Lineman.

Taking the agaility for the Lineman seems like a no brainer for pages worth of validation...

'Freak Stat' players...do we even go there in Blackbox?
Jumboparagon

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd JU the troll so as to make PO more betterer later (juggs can be your block down the road)
+MV the berserker
+AG the lino (I always +AG on AG3+ players like +STR automatics)
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely Block on the Troll, and Dodge on the Berserker.

With the lino–– it just depends on whether you want your ball to be moved upfield primarily through passing (Thrower), running (Runner) or whether you want to bash and take your time, in which case the MA6 lino is a totally fine bet.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro for the troll, ag on lino, diving tackle or dodge on the berserker.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on the player.

I'd take the Snow Troll doubles in a heartbeat. Either go Block or Pro.

For the Berzerker, I'd probably pass it up. They already have JU and have plenty of worthwhile normal rolls.

Lineman, the agility is a no brainer.
fly

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

kill skills, no +ag.
MB for troll and zerker, DP for lino.

Rabe

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Take the stats/doubles and enjoy them while they last. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Block, Dodge, Agility for me.
Jumboparagon

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

jump-up on the troll because of wild animal. with PO and claw (and hopefully soon MB), fun having him on the ground to avoid being overly punched, but still just as mobile in the hitting game
maysrill

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Block, Dodge/MB, AG

I don't like JU on a troll, since it's only AG1 (4+ to JU). I can see going either way on a berserker, either keeping him alive or making a better hitter out of him.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
Jumboparagon

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

okay then.... block on the troll. I thought JU was just a 2+
the more you know... *rainbow*
Smeat

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

With a team of Ag 3 (and worse), one problem w/ Norse is mobility. Your Runners are the only A access, so Dodge on what will be one of your hardest hitters (JU Frenzy PoMB Tackler - on 3 normals) is a great advantage in maneuverability and winning the position battle, helps getting your killer where you need him (even if it is only 8/9 for Ag 3 Dodge).

(Of course, in the Box you may care only about winning the Bash and leave position to when you outnumber your opponent. If so, then MB followed quickly by PO for the faster (s)killing, and hope for another doubles for Skill #3-5 or so.)

As a Wild Animal (and only MA 5), I'm not as big a fan of PO on the Troll as some others are. I may be making a rookie mistake for Box theory, but 50% to jump up if it's not a Blitz, and 50% to Block w/ 4+, and still a 2+ to avoid WA on the MA 2 Frenzy Blitz - yeah, that's one heavy hit and then trust to luck to get him back in the game. I'll pass.

With AV 8 and Frenzy/ClawMB (after 1 normal skill), he's a big target, even if he is St 5. Especially with Frenzy, that can be twice the chances to fail with the BG. I took Block on mine (in L, not B), and never regretted it.

Pro... with WA, certainly makes him more maneuverable when not blitzing, and helps with half of everything else, but doesn't help him keep on his feet, so my 2nd choice for doubles. ymmv.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)

Last edited by Smeat on %b %07, %2014 - %21:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice/choice would be Block or Pro on the Snow Troll (I have a Snow Troll with both), +AG for the Lino, and the Zerk I'm torn: the +MA can be useful on a team that is mostly MA6 (and Jump Up means he'll always be MA 7), but I also like the suggestion of Diving Tackle (goes well with Jump Up). I've experimented with Dodge on Zerks and wasn't impressed: a) it's AG3, and b) you won't have much Dodge on this team so he is easily countered by 1-2 Tackle opponents. But early in the team's development a Blodger is nice.

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Blodge is great whenever and where ever you can get it. It will help keep him alive a bit, and dodging on a 3+ is very common for Norse anyway, so it gives him a bit more mobility (saving RRs).

Block on the troll is a given I think. Now he can take out other BGs who didn't get block much more effectively.

AG is AG, you take it because AG4 is miles better than AG3 for trying to do fancy stuff, and sometimes you need to do fancy stuff.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2014 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Jumboparagon wrote:
okay then.... block on the troll. I thought JU was just a 2+
the more you know... *rainbow*

Yeah, it's an AG check that works out to a 2+ for anyone with AG3 or better. AG2 needs a 3+, and AG1 needs a 4+.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
 Jump to: