57 coaches online • Server time: 21:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kenty

Post 5 Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

After losing 11 werewolves in under 70 games I looked into why these poor puppies always seem to get killed. This is what I've come up with.

Wolves are designed to get killed. They are giving high movement and the catch skill so that you will be tempted to send them running off ahead of the other slow necros where they become easy targets.

Speaking of being targets... those claws make them prime candidates for the wrath of your opponents nastiest blockers. The frenzy skill also can get your poor wolf into a bad position should he have to throw that second block.

After getting themselves into bad position. AV8 is simply not going to cut it. The other team will come at the wolf aggressively and should you survive the hit... a foul is likely soon to follow. The wolves are one of the chosen few who lack regen skills and the necros are not allowed an apo.

After about 70 games, we are now on our 12th and 13th wolves. Given previous examples, I would put their life expectancy at about 6 games each. So the question is... how to train a puppy and keep him alive long enough to become a full grown wolf?
evilhuman

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

play elfs Razz
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Without too much experience on the matter, here's a few thoughts.

- Wolves are your star players, no doubt about that. Don't forget the rest of them though. Yes, zombies and flesh golems are hard to skill up, but you need to try to get them some SPPs, too. If for no other reason than to protect your wolves and ghouls.

- Distribute those SPPs. Just in case the first note was too obtuse!

- Tempting as it may be to send them out wide for a handoff, keep them back until they are in scoring range or at least give them some coverage with wights, ghouls or even lowly zombies. It will slow down their progression into the opponent's half but it's better than having to replace a good one. Once you cross into the endzone, they're safe. until then, they're meat. Nasty meat but meat.

- Same thing goes for frenzy. Always expect double pushes on that first block.

- If you end up with a vulnerable wolf and you are concerned about him getting wasted, then give your opponent a better target. Leaving a small chance to blitz the ballcarrier (usually when you have the lead and he or she is desperate) might keep your investment safe if your opponent is playing for the score, rather than maiming your team. Even better if they think they're getting away with something. Smile Throwing ghouls into position to cover for a fallen wolf might hurt but 70k is a whole lot less than 120k.

- Did I mention getting those other players up to speed and distributing your SPPs? Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh believe me we train the other players... we've got two of the best golems in fumbbl and they have been there to watch all the wolves die.
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting them block and dodge as quickly as possible will help a little bit. The main thing is to keep them back and protected, ohh and praying to whatever foul gods you might worship could help too. Even with all these precautions keeping one around for 10 or more games is probably next to impossible without heavy cherry picking or incredible luck. This is of course assuming you fire niggling injuries which you really have to without an apoth and when it's on such an important player.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2004 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

checked your team.. you have always been lackin good wights it seems, wich have helped me out ALOT by having(or well had) 2 excellent ones wich drew more aggro than my wolfs for most of the time Shocked
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2004 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=11241

A team which after 40 games still has its first 2 wolfs the key to keeping them alive is to understand that the elfish two turn score is going to get you killed (eventually) so take your time in moving the ball up the pitch spend a lot of time blitzing with your wolfs to get rid of their heavy hitters and i have also found that most wolfs die before the get blodge because afterwards it is very hard to bring them down (also niggling injuries on your wolfs might weaken your team slightly but if they are 50+ spps they can survive with 1 niggle except possibly in divX)
 Jump to: