11 coaches online • Server time: 04:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Call it bowlbowl and make all armour unbreakable.
Will be lovely.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 04:00 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Wreckage wrote:
It is my absolute belief that with the current rules you could give every team 10 million gold and the only thing that would change is that people would induce the crap out of it.
I have gone through a lot of games in the new rules and something I have constantly seen in the box: People do not care to even run the rosters up to 12 players when they can. Most guys love using loners.
Now I'm not one of them, but then it is so easy to get your hands on gold, it is ridiculus. And rightly so, because it doesn't make a real difference at all.

It makes a massive difference to me. This is the reason I avoid Blackbox and competitive Blood Bowl now. Ranked is certainly better, but it has similar problems. Blood Bowl was never intended to be played like this, and it feels completely mechanical now.

New players maybe different as maybe they are unaware of what a roster 'should' look like, however maybe they aren't.

And when members of the BBRC say it's ok to play like this, and the game wasn't designed 'not' to allow this.....that's full of crap, it's a massive oversight that they don't want to admit to.

TV management and how a lot of coaches are running around in box (and ranked, those elf hunting 11 man de teams for example) is pure crap.

I agree with Kryten's philosophy. Over mollycoddlying isn't the way to bring up a balanced baby, and neither is it the way to bring up a balanced BBer. I like out of the box suggestions like this, but he has a point.

Gaming incentives seem to be 'stage' based now. Filling the grid official badge style incentives would to me, be more like modern gaming. By that I mean being a bigger deal than they are currently.

Yep.

There is literally no point in caring about your Box teams (or R teams) outside of what they do in a tournament (sprinters be damned). Yet people seem to care deeply.

Or do they?

I don't think they care as much about the teams as they do the experience they have. And that experience is fairly tainted by all the silliness surrounding Box (and R to a lesser extent). Sure sure, there are exceptions in a few exceptional teams (not coaches though, just teams).

If, somehow, there could be a unified purpose to playing Box (or R) a lot of these questions and concerns would vanish. To be replaced by others no doubt, but the point stands.

Why do you activate for Box? To play a game. What's the point of that game? Nothing really, you want to win, you may want to survive, but really, when it's over, so what? It didn't mean anything. You didn't accomplish anything. There was really no greater goal to it other than the simple goal of enjoying (hopefully) a game of blood bowl.

And that's where the problems arise. Not every one enjoys a game of blood bowl the same way, so those who enjoy the pure bash kill all menz style have their place to do that unchecked and in the process destroy the division gradually because at some point it will just be about that mentality (if you don't think it already is).

So what's the point of Box again? No, not what the blurb on the help page says, what's the actual point of playing there?

Just to enjoy a game of blood bowl, but, you better enjoy facing a disproportionate amount of cpomb, or you better enjoy just starting new teams over and over, because those are the options right now.

How do you fix this? Assuming you want it fixed anyway. I know what I'd like to see Box be, but realistically any fix requires a big influx of coaches and teams to make it sustainable. Maybe we need to stop worrying so much about our own issues and figure out a way to just get more coaches on site playing.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Maybe we need to stop worrying so much about our own issues and figure out a way to just get more coaches on site playing.

I think that to get more coaches FUMBBL would require a new client, because in 2014 gamers want to see some 3d nice looking graphics, some player customization, and play whenever they want a game by matchmaking.
Cyanide showed that even a poorly programmed game with many bugs, but with shiny 3d graphics can attract more users than a 2d client on a niche site.
Since a 3d client will never be made we must deal with a low number of users.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
[
Cyanide showed that even a poorly programmed game with many bugs, but with shiny 3d graphics can attract more users than a 2d client on a niche site.

Damn you battlechess! Image
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
licker wrote:
Maybe we need to stop worrying so much about our own issues and figure out a way to just get more coaches on site playing.

I think that to get more coaches FUMBBL would require a new client, because in 2014 gamers want to see some 3d nice looking graphics, some player customization, and play whenever they want a game by matchmaking.

Cyanide shows us that a marketing department can actually be useful. People don't get to see fumbbl in store shelves. They don't see reviews of it in gaming magazines or blogs. The miracle is we get as many users as we do, not that cyanide has more.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
Cyanide shows us that a marketing department can actually be useful.
They also have the marketing rights for their product.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

TV management and how a lot of coaches are running around in box (and ranked, those elf hunting 11 man de teams for example) is pure crap.

It is a TV matched division. Of course people are going to manage TV. If you don't like it don't play it.

If you have ideas bring them to [L]eague, we'd be interested.

licker wrote:

There is literally no point in caring about your Box teams (or R teams) outside of what they do in a tournament (sprinters be damned). Yet people seem to care deeply.

Sprinters be damned? The you go on to moan about lack of goals and incentives? Shocked
Are you just trying to ensure that we get an early start?

SprintARRS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Sprints are great for the site. They give goals encourage diversity. I have played 5 games on the bounce in B with a pro elf team. I have faced - pro elves, orcs, pact, dwarves, skaven. That's pretty awesome.

I'm not even sure there is a problem anyway.

Oh and as for 3d version of the game.... Hell no, fumbbl is perfect because you can actually see what is going on. Its sooooooooo much quicker and less clunky than cyanides God awful attempt. If people would rather play shiny poo than a perfect game that looks a bit old school then there is something very wrong with the world.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:

Cyanide shows us that a marketing department can actually be useful. People don't get to see fumbbl in store shelves. They don't see reviews of it in gaming magazines or blogs. The miracle is we get as many users as we do, not that cyanide has more.

So do you think that if FUMBBL had the same amount of marketing of Cyanide most gamers would play it and not Cyanide, given the choice?
I don't think so, not because FUMBBL is worse but because it's not appealing to the mass.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

It is a TV matched division. Of course people are going to manage TV. If you don't like it don't play it.

TV matching in a progressive environment is borked. You know I think that, you know the alternative ideas I think are better.

I play my own thing on the whole now, and yes...I'm not trying to break the system but I'm very happy with my BB life.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %11, %2014 - %14:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Hitonagashi wrote:

So do you think that if FUMBBL had the same amount of marketing of Cyanide most gamers would play it and not Cyanide, given the choice?
I don't think so, not because FUMBBL is worse but because it's not appealing to the mass.

We have gained users from Cyanide. So yes, The Cyanide marketing dept has been useful. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

We have gained users from Cyanide. So yes, The Cyanide marketing dept has been useful. Wink

I didn't say that marketing wasn't useful, but a 2d client will never attract more than one hundred people unlike a 3d client.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
koadah wrote:

I didn't say that marketing wasn't useful, but a 2d client will never attract more than one hundred people unlike a 3d client.

Interesting question but how many more users does Cyanide really have?

A fair while ago I think that Dode said that Cyanide did about twice as many games as Fumbbl.

Now, I wonder how many of those games were turn 1 or 2 concessions or disconnections.

How many people are usually on line on Cyanide now?

Someone wake up Dode and get his figures. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Some people here seem to have missed that indie / low-budget games are doing better than ever. If it weren't for the IP rights issues a fumbbl-like client could compete fairly well with cyanide if it were easily available through outlets like eg Steam / GOG / Humble store.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

licker wrote:

Sprinters be damned? The you go on to moan about lack of goals and incentives? Shocked
Are you just trying to ensure that we get an early start?

SprintARRS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

See I gave you some publicity Wink

But yes, sprinters be damned. There is no unified point to Box or R, that's the thing. Sprints perform a function for a subset of the coaches there. The majority of coaches don't give 2 whits about your precious sprints Wink

Beyond which, the sprints (well some of them) are created with respect to the current environment in Box, which if people only sprinted, would be different.

So, to that point, change the dynamics of the box mentality and you would have to change the mentality of (some) sprints.

Anyway, I don't know if sprinters have a higher sense of themselves than others, but I have literally never had a conversation with anyone about their sprint. Never.

It's a thing, but it's not the thing.
 Jump to: