22 coaches online • Server time: 02:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DropDeadFred

Post 13 Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Should it be ok for your opponant to leave game maybe even at turn 8 2nd half and pretend a drop, so he dont loose his star player or loose the game,

and youv outplayed him and gained some nice ssp but dont gain them as he "Fakes a drop" but u dont have the evidence to prove it and he decides not to come online for about 4 days and u get pissy and continue to play on with another game so the game with him cannot be finished as u cant be botherd to wait, there must some sorta way of stopping this, its happened to me and my brother a couple of times when we have killed/-stat/niggled his star player or hes failed a gfi to score the winner in turn8 etc.

im intreged if other fumbbl users have had the same problem, and how we should solve it, imagine your player scorded 2 tds and was on his way to, top 10 scorers wouldent u be pissed im sure there many excuse's etc but i would intereged on other peoples opnion on how to solve this problem
DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah bad spellings. was pissed at the time as it happend to me Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, first of all read the user guide which details exactly how to deal with this problem:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=help&op=rules

I'll just go ahead and paste in the helpful bit for you here:

Disconnections

If your opponent is disconnected during a game please wait for 15 minutes to see if he or she returns.
If your opponent does not return within this period of time you can, if you want, call the game off and move on to find another game. If you do so, the started game is completely abandoned together with any SPPs or injuries that had taken place. If you want to complete the game, you can not use the team in other games until the current game has been resolved. Either way, you should send a PM to the opponent to state your decision to him/her.
If you get disconnected you must, upon returning to the site, contact your opponent in order to explain what happened and offer to resume the game. If your opponent is not online or not contactable when you return, you must send a PM with the offer and try to schedule a time to resume it. If there is no reply to this PM within 24 hours of sending it, you may call off the game as explained above and you should send another PM telling your opponent of your decision.

If the server goes offline or if the remaining coach leaves before the stated 15 minutes both coaches are considered to have disconnected and should act as explained above.

It is a shame that there are coaches out there who are stupid enough to try and pull disconnects to save players, but please report them to the admins so we can have them weeded out...
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible/feasible to lock teams that start a game? We have the fumbbl login required now...so it should be possible to determine if a game has been started...Then just lock those teams until the results are uploaded?

Though if the option to cancel the game is invoked, there may be a need for admin assistance

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I've encountered this a couple of time myself recently and I have to give some credit to the admins... they have been very attentive and helpful about getting the other players account held.

But I do feel that there should be some kind of time limit for your opponent to finish the game they had with you. Say maybe if your opponent doesn't finish within a week... you can load a new game with the admins loading your opponents team and at least conceding the match to you. You would still lose some of the spps... but it's better than nothing.

My skaven have been waiting almost a week now to finish a game my opponent dropped after we finished the first half with a 3-0 lead.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The point is we can't force people to come online. And they might have some genuine problem that prevents them from coming online (for example a hard drive crash). It would be unfair in such cases to just conceed a game.

If somebody drops on you and doesn't come back for days, even after her/his account is blocked you are free to skip the game entirely - as long as you want to gain anything from the match though you'll have to wait for her/him. If you decide not wait any longer and want to skip the game make sure to inform both your opponent and one of us admins.

-Mnemon
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Whats the big deal with conceding a game? So your hard drive crashes and after a day or two your team concedes? Does this really affect the quality of your life? The poor bugger who waits around for you for over 24 hours deserves the spp from the concession.

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

ye i would have too agree with bunny on this one a 24h window should be fair, and if he/her dosent write back on your PM it should be a automatic concession..

i mean u can always find a computer somewere school work and so on, to login on the fumbbl site and write what the problem is, and then take it from there like give him max another day or two to fix it or he automatic concedes, so poor souls like we all are dont have to wait weeks to finish a game...

Its my feeling that more and more people do the log off trick, even if there on again 6 hours later u can feel that they are realy happy if u have played another match with your team...
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

No way is 24 hours fair. I have not dropped many games where I could not reconnect straight away but sometimes bad stuff happens. I think you should get some more teams if you really have to play BB again so quickly. Lets face it conceding is a big penalty especially for developed teams. Any sort of auto concede would have to be at least 5 days notice.
Also it doesn't stop people from logging in and extending there "grace period" Maybe they just stopped off so their team would not be conceded I'm sure people who auto drop can keep it up for a lot longer than you seem to be able to wait.
MattiasF

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

A 24 hours auto concede opens up the possibility that the player gaining on the conced will have little interest in continue the game. And thats also a bad thing!
gadget

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

All you need to do is set a time limit for the player who did not drop out and this would not be a problem. Say 20 min connected after the drop out.
Look, how often dose your computer crash and you can't reconnect within 20min? Hardly ever!
So what is the big deal? S**** happens live with it and concede the game.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2004 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is that conceding doesn't simple mean losing a little money and a point of FF. It also means that any player over 51 spp might leave your team, i.e. it has the potential to utterly destroy somebodies team. That is the reason while simply conceding games is not a fair solution.

Fumbbl _itself_ was down several times for longer periods then 24 hours due to hardware failures - or problems with the internet connection, etc.

-Mnemon
humbe

Post 20 Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

This happened to me once too.. I understand the difficulties of finding a counter measure not hitting people having real problems, but just logging of aborted games should help..

With such statistics, a player considering to play another can quickly see how likely this one is to drop out of a game based on his previous games.. And players will have an insentive not to drop out such that they get a bad looking rating that may make people not wanting to play them.
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2004 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

gadget wrote:
Look, how often dose your computer crash and you can't reconnect within 20min?

My ISP dropped me the other week - I had no connection for 4 hours...

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2004 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

humbe wrote:
I understand the difficulties of finding a counter measure not hitting people having real problems, but just logging of aborted games should help..

With such statistics, a player considering to play another can quickly see how likely this one is to drop out of a game based on his previous games.. And players will have an insentive not to drop out such that they get a bad looking rating that may make people not wanting to play them.

I think this would make an excellent solution, but it should only show the amount of unfinished games and not just dropped ones.
 Jump to: