16 coaches online • Server time: 06:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah shaddapa your whining, I've reported loads of droppers and seen them 'disappear'. (I think they're forced to talk to Grum and mOnty for a few hours till they have a breakdown and quit the site Laughing )

The only wierd thing is i've seen a couple of them come back after being banned, surely these repeated droppers should be banned forever, and ever, and ever (and given a good kicking to teach them).

Its a fun game kids report 'em and watch their accounts pop before your very eyes!
If only David Blane could do that kind of magic... Laughing

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

repeat offenders do get banned
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah they don't one of the coaches i see regularly got banned after dropping out against me and others.

He's back now though (mentioning no names)

good to see the new fumbblbribe systems up and running then....

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Another problem, which hasn't been mentioned here yet, is that often the droppers say they didn't disc, but that YOU (the host) did. Eventhough you know it's a lie there's nothing you can do to prove them wrong. I've had this happened to me a couple of times when I managed some real lucky move. They then disc and when they come back they claim I was the one dropping on THEM. Then they deny that I actually succeeded in my lucky move and since the inc. or dat. hasn't had time to save it, it means their word against mine on whether we should reconstruct the move or not. Since they claim it never happened then it's a bit hard to have an admin tell them to help out in reconstructing the move (usually td).
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
good to see the new fumbblbribe systems up and running then....

Very Happy lol
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Cantila wrote:
Another problem, which hasn't been mentioned here yet, is that often the droppers say they didn't disc, but that YOU (the host) did. Eventhough you know it's a lie there's nothing you can do to prove them wrong. I've had this happened to me a couple of times when I managed some real lucky move. They then disc and when they come back they claim I was the one dropping on THEM. Then they deny that I actually succeeded in my lucky move and since the inc. or dat. hasn't had time to save it, it means their word against mine on whether we should reconstruct the move or not. Since they claim it never happened then it's a bit hard to have an admin tell them to help out in reconstructing the move (usually td).

Yeah i've had that one too, seems to be more common now too (Cheaters talking to each other?)

Me: "What happened?"
Them: "You left"
Me: "err no i didn't, you failed that gfi, your player died and you dropped out?!"
Them: "no I didn't you did and he didn't die"

(back in the game after loading the .inc)

Me: "see look dead player"
Them: "Thought the save loaded the start of the turn?"

The "you left" thing seems to be the most common response now. Over the past few weeks i've submitted a worrying number of support tickets, when I joined up I had no problems other than with my connection being unrealiable.

This sort of stuff puts me off fumbbl. >Sad
SkatKat

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I´ve been lucky, I never had anyone lying in here Wink

However, I once had a guy claiming I disconnected on purpose since my turn was going bad - quite funny really, since I managed to pick up the ball, hand it off, pass it, catch and knock him down on 3 of 4 blocks (with a rather new orc-team), but in the end, I redid most of the turn only costing me a reroll, still my opp. claimed I only won because of my "mysterious drop out" *lol*
Morgion

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

gah i hate havin to reload and do ur turn again.. it almost cost me a td once.. stupid dice.. i hate you .. *spits at dice*

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
(back in the game after loading the .inc)

Me: "see look dead player"
Them: "Thought the save loaded the start of the turn?"

ROTFLOL

That's great Smile

I have been on both sides of accidental disconnects.
My cable modem crashed in one of my worst games, I was able to log on at work the next day and PM my opponent to let him know what happened. After a day or two we were able to continue the game. I have also had opponents crash in both good and bad games, only a loading error has stopped us from continuing games when we tried.

The first time I was disconnected on, I went to the admin channel and asked what to do...after reading the rules, I PM'd (website) my opponent and explained everything to them (times I would be able to continue game, not to play the team, blah blah blah). So, when I log back in he played another game, had not responded to any PM's (over 2 days, and since I had added him to my buddy list I knew he had been on Smile ), and would not speak to me in irc. Well, back to admin channel... got link to report rules violations and reported it, with as much detail (more than the admins wanted/needed I am sure) as possible. Next day, I get a PM from him, basically cursing me out for getting his account banned, with my favorite line "don't you have any patience" . So, I open up IRC and get a PM from him almost right away, cursing me out some more. My responce was something along the lines of 'sorry you got banned, but you broke the rules. don't be mad at me.' I felt bad about it then. Now, I look back and see that was one coach we probably don't want here anyway.

I think it would be nice if replays would keep chat logs or if in game chat logs could be revewed by admins. I have seen several coaches start cursing out their opponent for no apparent reason(other than things not going perfect for them) and then a couple turns later, mysterious disconnection. My favorite was watching a friend of mine play and instead of sprinting to the TD with no rr (since noone could reach the ballcarrier), he stopped. All of a sudden opponent went into CAPLOCK MODE and starting cursing him out about stalling. I always send a PM in IRC to the remaining coach to let them know I was spectating if they need/want a witness.

Cheaters (and that is what someone who intentionally drops is) should not prosper. But more than that, the one who was playing right tends to be the one who gets screwed. Locking a team once it starts a game ( the way a tournament locks a team) is the only way I can see to 'protect' the non-cheating coach.

** sorry for the rant **
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I think this would make an excellent solution, but it should only show the amount of unfinished games and not just dropped ones.
totally 2nd this idea. having it show the amount of dropped games would give people who are unlucky enought to have a bad isp or something a bad rep and thus a harder time finding games which no measure should promote. having it show the amount of unfinished games would be way fairer.... Although it should still have an option to exclude the unfinished games which are unfinished due to mutual concent...

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

mymLaban wrote:
Mnemon wrote:
The thing is that conceding doesn't simple mean losing a little money and a point of FF. It also means that any player over 51 spp might leave your team, i.e. it has the potential to utterly destroy somebodies team. That is the reason while simply conceding games is not a fair solution.

Fumbbl _itself_ was down several times for longer periods then 24 hours due to hardware failures - or problems with the internet connection, etc.

-Mnemon

hmm some good points, this however makes it harder to work this out, since loosing your 200 spp players due to a hard drive crash is just plain wrong Sad

If it really means THAT much to you, what would stop you going out to a friend's house to use their internet access for a few minutes to explain the situation to your opponent and the admins? There are always solutions to these problems, it's not necessary to sit around for several days to wait for your own connection to be fixed in this day and age. 24 hours to get in touch with someone is more than enough, and if you really can't finish the game then I'm sure the opponent and admins would understand (eg in the case of the hard drive melt described above) and either forget the game (with the opponent's consent) or allow you to extend the deadline for the game to be finished in by a reasonable length of time.
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget to take screenshots in case you get dropped on. On most Windows machines, this is as simple as hitting the print screen button, then pasting into Paint. It helps you prove your case should there be disputes about how to reconstruct a particular event.

In my experience, the best way to avoid getting deliberately dropped on is to only play coaches who have been around for a while. The risk with playing newbies is that they are more likely, in my opinion, to just leave in a huff and just not come back if they begin to really lose.
Bartok

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2004 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea of locking a team once a game is started is in my opinion a good idea. This would also prevent another problem.
If a game starts and someone makes a chence to the team after the game is started (sacking or coach or something), the server will see it as an error in the march report and elect not to count the game. This is an error that can occur on purpose but could also occur without intend. By locking the team once a game is started this would be imposible and the droppers would have a problem.
 Jump to: