55 coaches online • Server time: 11:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
flydd

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Having been playing with a norse team recently which has 4 frenzy players I have had more crowd surfing opportunities however I have been facing a dilema.

When crowd surfing if the player is one square in from the sideline you need two blocks to crowd surf. This is easy to do with frenzy and can be done with two non frenzy players as well. However when you roll one push and one pow on the first block do you take the push to do the crowd surf or do you take the pow to knock them down?

Crowd surfing will remove a player from the drive which can be a big advantage but you don't get SPPs from crowd surf casulties. If you take the pow you risk not removing the player but if you do get a cas you get the SPPs. I am tending to go for the crowd surf option mainly however I wondered what other coaches do in this situation?
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 00:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Crowd Surf All Mens

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

YES.

unless you are winning easily and you want to try to farm CAS spps.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The bigger questions is: after you pushback and you roll a skull / both down do you reroll it? Especially if they don't have block? Smile

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Crowd surfing is pretty huge. It's one of the best strategies for a good coach to eleminate the luck factor of the game by a huge margin. Without players all the luck in the world won't help.

If you are able to crowdsurf on a 2d block with your next action, by all means, take the push back.

Trickier is the question if you should reroll two pows to get a push back to crowd surf. Usually the answer is: probably not, but if you can afford it you might aswell try.

A 1 dice block to crowdpush is usually worth it too. As a matter of fact crowd pushing is almost always rewarding short of completely giving up your position and allowing your opponent to crowd push your own players back.

Note that the earlier in the half the better it is to crowdpush. For instance a crowdpush prior to a scoring attempt in turn 8 is rather unneccessary. But if you do it on turn 1 you can even give up some position because it won't help your opponent to have good position if you have the numbers and he has to somehow survive the entire half or score with only 10 men on pitch..
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
Crowd Surf All Mens

+1

The ONLY times you don't are...

1) If that would leave your (better) player vulnerable to a counter-surf,

B) If it would draw/leave you (badly) out of position,

iii) It would take a Blitz that could be better used elsewhere (to stop or make a score),

fourth) the act of rolling dice could be a game-breaking risk (for example, w/ no RR vs. a no-dice scoring opportunity, or if it required a double-GFI before attempting to pickup a loose ball, etc.),

Last) For some unfathomable reason, you take pity on your opponent late in the game. (I don't pretend to understand, but I acknowledge it happens.)

Also) As mentioned above, the game is in hand, you roll both a Pow and a Push and you're looking to farm spp w/ the Cas. Esp w/ Pile On/etc., when the odds are better to get the target off the field either way.

The more opponents off the field, the easier your life is and the safer your AV 7 players are. Add to this the chance of a casualty that takes them out of the game, it's all good.

Even if you don't GFI for every opportunity, the threat of it limits the field for your opponent, cramping their positioning.

With Norse (especially), look for chain-push crowd surf opportunities, or ways to setup a player w/ a chain-push for a surprise surf blitz. Good times.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage said it all.

Oscar Wilde
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Not always, but almost always. One of my favourite things to do is leave a 'rope a dope' surf, which would be an example of when not to do it.

Surfing is so good that if you can leave even a sniff of a bad one, coaches will often go after them before considering the outcome. If you can leave a good coach a tricky surf (5 actions involved, a chain push necessary, etc.), he may well think he has spotted something you have not, dedicate a huge amount of resource to the surf and only on the next turn realise that he really needed those five players around the ball area when it has been swamped.

It's pretty rare you get an opportunity to leave something like that, and if you do, you'd better be confident you're the beneficiary rather than your opponent. The vast majority of the time, the surfer has a much better time of it than the surfee.
Madmin

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

All the discussion aside, i think we can all agree that surfing a sidestep player is one of the most satisfying feelings in all of BloodBowl Very Happy
paradocks

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Always, and twice on Sundays.

On the subject of satisfying crowdpushes: killing a st+ tree with a juggataur :>
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdXD7XCMc-c

'nuff said.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Not always, but almost always. One of my favourite things to do is leave a 'rope a dope' surf, which would be an example of when not to do it.

Yes, this ^ I do this quite a lot in this edition as crowd surfs are really tame now. Give them a nice surf on one side of the field taking 2 sometimes 3 of their players out of the important areas of the pitch making scoring and stalling till turn 8 easier. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm often tempted to surf my own players whenever I spot how to do it Cool
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Tarabaralla wrote:
I'm often tempted to surf my own players whenever I spot how to do it Cool

Haha I did this trying to free up my ball carrier on Cyanide as Sidestep is bugged!