28 coaches online • Server time: 10:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:
At least one of mine hasn't played in 5 years. But like Mike Tyson I suppose they could still play again. Very Happy

George Forman came out of retirement to fight again at the age of 40+

retirement being the key word here. Those teams/players aren't retired.

T3mpano wrote:
I'm only a newcomer and I'll be damned if I ever enter any top anything with any of my players (they just die too fast!).

However, the difference between dead/alive (all time/active)seems reasonable.

Maybe a some coach is sitting comfortably in his castle sipping cognac and basking on his top achievements...with an open eye in case he has to bring back his team to the pitch, be it in 1 week or 10 years...

Wanna make it to a top position? Beat the record Smile

exactly this ^

Effectively they are.

Basically, there is no logic to this argument. It is purely about people wanting different things for different reasons.

I just don't know why you would want an 'active' list full of players that are not 'active'. Smile

Well said. The thing is that in English 'retired' is a word that means 'could keep doing what you're doing for a bit longer, but are declining to do so for personal reasons'. That's exactly what is going on with these teams/players/coaches. They are de-facto retired, it's just that they left the office without filing their paperwork–– and only because there's simply no incentive to do this.

Imagine there was a FUMBBL protocol that automatically retired all teams that hadn't played in 6 months, but gave the coach the option of actively un-retiring them for the purposes of immediately scheduling a match. What would possibly be the downside of this?

I don't want to blow this whole thing out of proportion–- I think this is all a pretty minor issue, all told. But from my perspective, I like the top lists because they're one of the few places where my personal FUMBBL career does pretty well. The reality for me is that–– despite the fact I've played a bunch of Blood Bowl and am a fairly decent coach –– the races I really enjoy playing are Lizards, Underworld, Ogres, Norse and Slann, and these races will likely never win a FUMBBL Major: this being the thing that everyone is always talking about as the 'true mark' of excellence. So, in a small way, this does matter to me.
Garion

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizards will win a major sooner or later, off topic I know, but just saying Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

If categories were expanded from

All-Time
"Active"

to

All-Time
Living
Active

I think we could all agree that no one would really put much weight into the 'Living' category.
'Living' would simply be the ironically-named purgatory of players that were dead and just didn't know it.....
Malmir

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2014 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to both xnoelx and Rabe for your help with this!
 Jump to: