31 coaches online • Server time: 03:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which is better?
Cherry Pie
26%
 26%  [ 18 ]
Apple Pie
43%
 43%  [ 29 ]
Bakewell Tart
29%
 29%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 67

Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 11:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The new client currently requires Java 7. Garion, you're running Java 6 (and desperately need to update that).
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
The new client currently requires Java 7. Garion, you're running Java 6 (and desperately need to update that).

I know, but its impossible with an old OS. computer is too old to to update to lion etc...

the client was working fine though until just now.

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:05
FUMBBL Staff

It's a consequence of Kalimar switching to a new version of a library (jetty 9) which requires Java 7. He's now aware of the issue.

I've seen references recommending the use of something called Pacifist to install Java 7 on Snow Leopard.

No idea if you're willing to go that route though.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried that a while ago, it broke my computer, took me about 2 days of fiddling to get it working again. I had to find every file related to java on my mac and delete them all really quickly before they reinstalled on their own. After they were all deleted the mac reinstalled them properly and then I updated back to 6. I found out later that Apple pushed an update through to prevent that from working Sad

problem is I cant upgrade to maverick because of the hardware in my computer. ah well, time to finally buy a new computer me thinks Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

@Garion: as much as I would like to support you on a personal level - it just makes no sense to go through backwards compatibility hell just to allow some (very few) ancient setups to run properly. We have Java 8 now, after all.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:18
FUMBBL Staff

If you buy one of these fancy IBM progeny machines all the Java versions just seem to work on their own Wink

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
@Garion: as much as I would like to support you on a personal level - it just makes no sense to go through backwards compatibility hell just to allow some (very few) ancient setups to run properly. We have Java 8 now, after all.

yup. its completely understandable. I will bite the bullet and upgrade. I have been putting it off way to long anyway. Smile

Its entirely apples fault for being evil anyway, there is no reason they shouldn't allow upgrades to recent Java versions on Snow Leopard, its done entirely to sell their later machines with an OS that is almost identical for lots more money Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
...its impossible with an old OS.

another reason for me not to buy an apple computer...
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

You could probably get a dirt cheap second hand laptop for exclusively playing FUMBBL on.

For me, I play the old client on this computer and that doesn't work with modern Javas'. In the next couple of weeks I intend to retire this computer for just playing the old client and doing gimp stuff.
MDeLarge

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I use a MacBook and safari navigator and the new client doesn't work. I try to open a new game and it doesn't ask me for a game name and I can't see other people's games as a spectator. What can I do?
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. So it looks like I need to address this after all. I had it working before unifying the used libraries between client and server. *sigh*
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:42
FUMBBL Staff

MDeLarge wrote:
I use a MacBook and safari navigator and the new client doesn't work. I try to open a new game and it doesn't ask me for a game name and I can't see other people's games as a spectator. What can I do?

That's the same issue as Garion is having. You need to upgrade to Java 1.7 or later (which requires OS X 10.7 Lion or later).

If your Macbook is purchased in 2009 or later that should work. If not.. that's tougher problem to solve.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

one question:

League games work as normal?
Roland

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

the shadow wouldn't go away... I could paint the pitch blue:Image

also, it seems the icons shift a little when mouse is over them.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
MDeLarge wrote:

That's the same issue as Garion is having. You need to upgrade to Java 1.7 or later (which requires OS X 10.7 Lion or later).

If your Macbook is purchased in 2009 or later that should work. If not.. that's tougher problem to solve.

Will that be true for the final version of the client, or only the test version?
 Jump to: