29 coaches online • Server time: 02:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Great advice Rat_Salat. To be honest, I am only just getting in to Elves so I don't quite "get" them yet. I would say that in a couple of games I have been unlucky not to get a result but I will happily admit I make mistakes.

Maybe you can have a peek at some replays and PM me some pointers if you feel like it. I need all the help I can get.

Coming from a bash-centric play style (CD, Nurgz, Chaos) I think I make poor decisions about when to stick and when to move. Stepping off feels wrong somehow!! High Elves would be my favourite Elves, but perhaps I would be better served "graduating" to them from Darkies/Woodies?? Anyone? I would focus on HE but your tips make me think I have really buggered it up... Sad

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The dozen or so games you've played are really a small sample, and I wouldn't make any large conclusions about it yet. They just take longer to get online than darkies, but they also have more potential when they are developed. Key is learning to get full potential out of your fast players (blitzers, catchers) in combination with your average speed linemen. Also their thrower is arguable the best in the game, with a few skills and +AG. Safe throw is something you normally would never pick, but its still pretty handy when you don't need to use a skill roll for it, so they can use the tactic of hanging back and sending multiple receivers better than others. I think the reason most people hate throwers is that using it like this is riskier than running the ball, but when you are outnumbered having a reliable fallback tactic is damned good sometimes.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing wrong with high elves. 12,5% better than pro-elves. And about 100% more fun to play with.

Still not as efficient or good as dark elves or wood elves, who both are about 200% better than high elves. Not sure about the fun factor thou.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:
Something has been bothering me in general for a while and I thought I would put it out there for the view of the masses.

I was wondering if you could all shed some light on it for me.Why don't people like playing HE? Even if they don't start with skills the AV8 plus great potential catchers and blitzers as well as a blank slate make them the thinking man's choice in my opinion. Hell, with 3 skills you can have 4 players with wardancer stat lines. Even if they are far more expensive by then!

But still, they aren't wankers like Wood Elves, dull and ruthless like Dark Elves or weak and lopsided like Pro Elves...

And yet, I see tons of Pro, Woodie and Dark Elf teams running around. I will concede that given their hard start people can struggle and give up. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the High Elves even if I mainly dabbled with the other types and have almost reached the point of giving in to my base urges and giving them a crack.

Anyhoo, be interested to see your thoughts on all of this.

And let's be honest here. The cool kids play High Elves! Very Happy

I believe the root cause to High Elves being slighted, when it comes to playing them or developing them beyond 10 games..

..is tied directly to the success the HE's have had on the NAF circuit.

Yes, they are customizable.
Yes, they offer reslience

-BUT-

They don't start with a player that is a game changer, right from rookie. (Microwave Generation/Millenial's)

Reading through the posts that have been made already, it is clear to see that the coaches who have put aside preconceived notions and just played the race, have grown attached to them.

For my own personal experience with the HE race..

-I am not a big fan of more than 2 Catchers on the team. While this slows down the overall team speed, it also gives them a better chance at the attrition war. (If you want all 4 catchers, I would slow build them onto the team)

-The HE thrower is such a valuable player because of ball security reasons, starting with Safe Throw, but my personal preference for them is to make them into Dumpers but to have basic skills (Dodge, **Wrestle) before adding the dump off ability. Taking the D+W helps them to survive and thrive, not only on offense but Defense, as well.

**Wrestle on a Dumper - This is a tactic that won't receive much support other than from those who have tried it out and having stumbled upon the magic within it's design.

#PostGettingTooLong_
Timetis

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrestle on a dump-off player? What makes it better than standard block in your opinion? Defence?
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

To start with, you should do all that you can do to force the hit to be a -2d in your favour. I dice against isn't horrible but the combo loses it's appeal when facing a 2d, opponent chooses.

Now, if your ball carrier gets blitzed and it gets intercepted by the Ball Hawk but he has to choose the both down, right after he intercepts to pass and when he has to go down, via wrestle, their turn ends (Turnover) and you can simply get him up and move a few paces and give the ball right back to him.

-There are a number of nasty skills, that usually come with a player *designed to hit your ball carrier, none of which, do I WANT to be standing up when I go to start my following turn.
-SPP farming (Cycle and Recycle)
-Your Dumper acts a recyclable player used to hold the ball so that your Stat Freaks are getting hit, because they normally carry the ball.
*-The biggest reason is because of the impact he can have if you steal the ball from the other team and give it to him, to start your offense again.

There are more reasons but those are the most prominent in my mind, at this time. (Once you know, you know)

Gadfly

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elves are a great team. I really enjoy using them here and on the table top. I usually start with 2 blitzers, 1 thrower, & the rest line elves (+3 rerolls), after a few games add a catcher.
Timetis

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the elaboration!
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

*#Warning*

This is not a tactic to be used if you are the kind of coach who doesn't like to have fun.

Smeat

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing about DO is that you have to use it BEFORE you see the result of the blocking dice - so most coaches that have it use it then. Now, if the DO fails and the blitzer is still standing, that player is often the one to recover (whether or not the DO player is prone or standing).

So GSM's idea is to maximize the % that that blitzer's movement is done, one way or another. (Also minimizes the % that the blitzer will be standing next to the ball, or otherwise interfering w/ your recovery.)

However, it ~also~ increases the % that your DO player will be on the ground and not able to interfere w/ your opponent's recovery if/when he has other players to move. And while the blitzer may be on the ground, any assist will still be marking the prone DO player.

But when facing those blitzes that use a no-Block Big Guy (or just some non-optimal player), or are the very last (relevant) move of the Turn - yeah, it's a better bet.

ALSO - this all assumes you are going to use DO, which some coaches simply don't believe in for good reasons. DO wants Pass for the RR, and needs NoS or it's taking TZ penalties, often -2 to the roll (for 2d, the blitzer + the assist) and sometimes more. Not attractive to everyone, tho' some do make it work, and when it does it definitely falls into the "fun" category. Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
albinv

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Its the feathers on the helmets!

Put on some "Village People" tunes and we can have an elf party young boy!

Latest gossip from the woods:

"You've seen that HE with the feathers on his helmet hun? Gosh he's so hot!"

Last edited by albinv on %b %23, %2014 - %18:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

albinv wrote:
Its the feathers on the helmets!

Put on some "Village People" tunes and we can have an elf party young boy!

"You've seen that HE with the feathers on his helmet hun? Gosh he's so hot!"

Sounds like a scene out of Zoolander.
albinv

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe - i can perfectly picture a snobby WD and a snappy HE having a fight over who is the prettiest elf in fumbbl town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZ2XdqGZWU

Maybe we should have a cup where the elfes could fight it out? "The Zoolander Zeries" or something...
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

albinv wrote:
Hehe - i can perfectly picture a snobby WD and a snappy HE having a fight over who is the prettiest elf in fumbbl town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnZ2XdqGZWU

Maybe we should have a cup where the elfes could fight it out? "The Zoolander Zeries" or something...

*Passes you the "Light" Qualifiers
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

See also the Rush & Pass league, & the XFLs. And certain parts of Ranked...