54 coaches online • Server time: 22:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 09:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Last night after getting in from the football I picked up my phone and went to the fumbbl page to see I had a list of message pop-ups. This morning I got into work, sent a PM and then received a pop-up with a reply!

As someone who chats a lot on FUMBBL PMs and regularly refreshes the page I think this is a great move. I don't know if this is the first step towards the facebook-style chat mentioned, or if it's just something in the meantime, but either way it's very handy.

Cheers Christer!
Throweck

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I have done the same but seen nothing like this?! Hmmmmm. It does sound good though.

What position do you play?

Left back (in the changing rooms) or Sweeper (of the changing rooms)? bad-a-bah tchsh Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm, I don't get a popup, was it just a test?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:16
FUMBBL Staff

Mine are now appearing in the bottom right corner in Windows. I don't even need to be looking at the FUMBBL page, so long as it's open in the background. It doesn't seem to work 100% though, but I've received 5 PMs this morning and 4 have had pop-ups Very Happy

edit: Make that 4/6, but the ones I haven't received them for have been when I've been doing other things on the site so maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited by mister__joshua on %b %05, %2015 - %10:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
FRSHMN

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday, I was asked by the site if I want to allow hokus pokus between ying and yang (one thing has to be my computer, no?). Maybe your installed security monkeys forbid that automaticly?

Sorry, if I didn't use the correct words or names, all these internets is still pretty much Neuland to me. Wink
Roland

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get them at all, but if you find the source, please let us know Smile
sounds like an awesome feature!
Roland

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

WAIT I might have found something:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?hl=en
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 11:06
FUMBBL Staff

Is it working for anyone else then? It can't just be me! Razz

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm getting them too - nice update Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to see the return of the alerts.

But can we configure them or turn them off?

I don't need to be alerted about everything. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I get nothing Sad

Do I need to be using a certain browser?

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 11:36
FUMBBL Staff

This is a little feature I've been playing around with somewhat in the past, and chose to enable a bit more on the public site last night.

Basically, it's a notification system that allows the site to show notifications in different ways. The most basic way is as an overlay on the website itself. In addition, some browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and possibly Opera) have a feature that allows the browser to send a notification to the desktop itself (called desktop notifications or web notifications) which is also used if available. The first time a notification is sent like this, your browser will ask for permission to show the notification, and if you allow it, it'll display these messages in the corner of your screen (usually).

For the moment, these notifications are only sent for PMs, and I have noticed that it's not always working as expected. In particular, while reading the forums. I also suspect that they currently don't work on the gamefinder page.

In addition to this, the web-overlay notifications will only be shown on one of your open fumbbl.com tabs (I may look into fixing this particular issue if that's possible), and there's a maximum of 5 notifications being shown at a time (with the oldest ones being rotated out if you get more), and the site will only show notifications that are at most 60 minutes old (meaning you won't be bothered by messages that were sent hours or days ago when you return to the site).

I will put some more work into this (in particular fix the obvious bugs), and I'd be happy to hear some feedback about it from you guys. What do you think of this system? Are there things you'd prefer to be changed?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 11:52
FUMBBL Staff

I think it's a great feature for organising games, and also for chatting using the PM feature (which I do quite a lot). I mentioned to Roland (we've been testing the messaging back and forth) that I didn't receive the popups because I had a second fumbbl tab open. I also found I didn't receive them while typing on the forums as you mentioned.

Mine work in Chrome, with the desktop notifications working great. Is there a reason Roland wouldn't be receiving any notifications at all, even the on-site popup?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Sainthropee

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
This is a little feature I've been playing around with somewhat in the past, and chose to enable a bit more on the public site last night.

Basically, it's a notification system that allows the site to show notifications in different ways. The most basic way is as an overlay on the website itself. In addition, some browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and possibly Opera) have a feature that allows the browser to send a notification to the desktop itself (called desktop notifications or web notifications) which is also used if available. The first time a notification is sent like this, your browser will ask for permission to show the notification, and if you allow it, it'll display these messages in the corner of your screen (usually).

For the moment, these notifications are only sent for PMs, and I have noticed that it's not always working as expected. In particular, while reading the forums. I also suspect that they currently don't work on the gamefinder page.

In addition to this, the web-overlay notifications will only be shown on one of your open fumbbl.com tabs (I may look into fixing this particular issue if that's possible), and there's a maximum of 5 notifications being shown at a time (with the oldest ones being rotated out if you get more), and the site will only show notifications that are at most 60 minutes old (meaning you won't be bothered by messages that were sent hours or days ago when you return to the site).

I will put some more work into this (in particular fix the obvious bugs), and I'd be happy to hear some feedback about it from you guys. What do you think of this system? Are there things you'd prefer to be changed?

I suggest something like that in the thread What do you want in Fummbl at 2015, so it's great for managing matches and so on!

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
p4m

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2015 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

Basically, it's a notification system that allows the site to show notifications in different ways. The most basic way is as an overlay on the website itself. In addition, some browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and possibly Opera)

Yes, working for Opera as well...
 Jump to: