56 coaches online • Server time: 23:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
5+5: what to chose on +AG, Guard lino?
+AV
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
+MA
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
Leap
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Dodge
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Block
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Wrestle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mighty Blow
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Leader
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

Arcon

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really complaining about the skill rolls. No, not exactly. But, can you build a team with linos lacking regular skill rolls?

This is the team
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=304102

and this the lino:
https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=3580305
+AG and Guard.

There are 3 linos with +AG and another one with Guard as first skills.

Now he rolls double 5.
Do I use the doubles? Or stat increase? Or simply block?
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions highly appreciated. Thanks!
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

leap if you want brief glory. Dodge if you want him to live.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The answer to your first question - no, you need Block sooner or later (and probably "sooner"). Sometimes doubles or +Stat have to be declined for the health of the player and the team - it's risky to "build for the future" when the future is 43 spp away (much less 143!).

~If~ you take the doubles on the Guard, it's Stand Firm. Don't need MB on a Guard, not his job (altho' it's never a "bad" thing, SF adds more to this player, keeps him exactly where you want, prevents the "ping pong" that SS players sometimes encounter, and lets him Leap into a sideline ruck without fear of being force-pushed OB).

However, as a +Ag Guard, he already needs:
    o Block
    o Dodge
    o Leap

So, when is he going to get those, or which one are you going to delay to Legend? Confused

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2015 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

No to block, that can come later if at all, it's kind of not necessary on this player if you use him as a leaping guard. Yes it makes him easier to knock down, but meh, elfs should look for short term gains.

Maybe MA, I probably wouldn't, but the added mobility of a guard is pretty nice.

Maybe AV. Usually I would say to never take AV, but av7 players are the one place I would consider it. As this guy serves a very critical point for your team (mobile guard) I could buy an argument for keeping him on the pitch that extra amount.

No to leap, you do not take leap before you take dodge on ag5, often dodge is enough to get him where you want him anyway, and dodge is more defensive as well.

No to leader, leader is a worthless skill on teams with cheap rerolls (unless you play with a thrower and he runs out of other decent skill options).

Probably just go with Dodge, it should provide the biggest useful immediate upgrade.

Next skill would clearly be leap though. After that you can go with block or sidestep.

I can't see a compelling reason to use the double, but you could use the stat if you want to wait another 20spp for dodge.

Leap is nice too at some point, but it's sort of not super necessary for AG5. Especially on MA6 guys I find leap a bit underwhelming, but it's a good threat I guess. That is, if you have another leaping stripball/wrestle guy.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
~If~ you take the doubles on the Guard, it's Stand Firm.

I like the idea of Stand firm.
JmBeers

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
No to block, that can come later if at all, it's kind of not necessary
Probably just go with Dodge, it should provide the biggest useful immediate upgrade.

Next skill would clearly be leap though. After that you can go with block or sidestep.
guess. That is, if you have another leaping stripball/wrestle guy.

Yes to all of this but pray for dubs on the legend roll and take stand firm over side step. But who are we kidding. He will be dead long before then.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Got no wannabe Wardancer on the team to fully capitalize on a leaping Guard though... I like Block on Guard players in principle, as they'll often be in contact and sooner or later they'll throw a block themselves. But then, you don't need AG5 for such a Guard. So Dodge/Leap in any order is probably the right way to develope this player, even though his advantage over a "normal" Guard will be very situational.

Too bad you didn't roll AG and MA on one of the Catchers.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap, with three caveats:

1. You don't have to use it, especially to jump him into situations where he'll get hit.
2. You do have to feed him SPP and rush him to blodge.
3. You have to build one of your other +AG linos as a leap blitzer.

Because honestly, leap + guard + no blocking skills isn't safe. But leap + guard + anything wins games. And you can put him into harm's way if he wins you a couple games before he goes... that's what's known in the Blood Bowl business as a "fair trade." But don't make him absorb blocks in order to get some random guy a turn-1 2db on a lino. Use him only when he legitimately swings games -- that's probably smart if he lives to blodge, and it's definitely smart now -- and know that he'll swing them a lot more if he has a partner to jump in there with. (Though never forget that dodging into three tackle zones with AG5 is a 4+... and both of your other guys make that a 75% chance if they don't dodge through a tackler.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
bghandras

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If you roll another stat, then you wont have leap, blodge. Take either of those, and you have the flexibility to accept a str.

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets just be clear that on this player blodge is a pure luxury, not a requirement.

AG5 + Guard needs dodge and leap, the rest is sort of whatever.

If you're worried about survivability you shouldn't have played Pro Elfs in the first place, and you also shouldn't have taken guard on the double (or necessarily AG even).

Everyone drools over certain builds, but the fact is that it takes time to get to 76spp let alone 176. In the mean time you're babysitting a guy who isn't actually that useful, and on your team you have too many guys to babysit, so don't bother.

Play them to their fullest and win as much as you can with them, that means prioritizing the skills which will maximize your ability to win now.

That skill, for this player, on that team is dodge.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Licker makes a great point about winning now vs. delaying till later... It's often better to turn down the double because the player isn't useful until "after a few more skill rolls" and more often than not they wind up dead before than and simply count as dead weight on your team before then. It' hard to do, but sometimes you've got to turn down the double for the more important immediate skill. I agree with dodge.
BlodgeyDocker

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Take dodge. Then block.

If this was one player operating without blodge in a see of blodgers then you could accommodate him, but he's a lineman and you want to be able to protect him the whole time. A5 means you can pop the odd cage with a dodge anyway Very Happy
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Fire the niggled +AG one.

Blodge this one.
Roland

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

mighty blow or dodge
 Jump to: