42 coaches online • Server time: 12:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wuhan

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

So why the hate? More than half of all DE teams have NO assassins!

These guys are crucial, like a DP on a halfling team!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Stab fails, Assassin has no skills, AV7 goes splat.
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

This could very well could be secret weapon. Reasoning:
- Fluff. Stabbing had a foul feel.
- Would die some of the time even before the end of the drive
- Could help lessen the price. It is not a good strategy to invest 90k into marking a player and then see that player on the wrong end of the injury roll.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

the are glass jaw bandits

i like to have one, but they certainly have weaknesses

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
the are glass jaw bandits

i like to have one, but they certainly have weaknesses

don't spit on the stick you ate your churrasco on Very Happy

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3675940

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in the "they are bad" camp.

A dark elf starts with a 6/3/4/8 stat line, and it takes quite a good player to be a better option than them. Blitzers are fantastic, so you already have 4 players who you want to skill. You can build a great Dark Elf team out of just Blitzers and Linemen, but adding one or two AV7 players isn't bad.

For me, the additional player is a Witch Elf, with her 7/3/4/7 stat line and three skills. This leaves you with six linemen in the starting 11, which is a nice number of versatile, durable linemen who can blodge up or take guard. Weakening this core of AV8 supporting cast by exchanging them for more expensive, less durable players like Runners or Assassins does not make your team stronger. You pay more for fragile pieces with gimmick abilities that look great on paper, but tend to under perform on the pitch.

If you did want to expand the roster past the blitzers and first witch, surely the second witch or a runner would be a better option. Maybe "Rule of Five" isn't your bag, but surely we can understand that 8 is too many.

TLDR: DE Linemen are awesome, think hard before swapping them out for more positionals
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

While Assassins absolutely suck, a Runner can be useful at high TV when you face clawpomb-heavy teams.
AV 7 doesn't make a difference vs Claw, and Pass access can help you to score even when horribly outnumbered, since Dark Elves are the slowest of the Elf teams and have no player with MA 8 or higher to use as better ball carrier.
At low-med TV Runners are not so useful (ok they can get Leader in young teams but that's all).

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %26, %2015 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Runners are also fine in league, where you can pay one to ride the bench on defense.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The benefit of rolling block dice is that you actually get to prevent reciprocal blocks whether or not you knock your opponent down. Block dice aren't a mere formality of the game getting in the way of armor rolls, they serve a useful purpose.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
I'm in the "they are bad" camp.

A dark elf starts with a 6/3/4/8 stat line, and it takes quite a good player to be a better option than them. Blitzers are fantastic, so you already have 4 players who you want to skill. You can build a great Dark Elf team out of just Blitzers and Linemen, but adding one or two AV7 players isn't bad.

For me, the additional player is a Witch Elf, with her 7/3/4/7 stat line and three skills. This leaves you with six linemen in the starting 11, which is a nice number of versatile, durable linemen who can blodge up or take guard. Weakening this core of AV8 supporting cast by exchanging them for more expensive, less durable players like Runners or Assassins does not make your team stronger. You pay more for fragile pieces with gimmick abilities that look great on paper, but tend to under perform on the pitch.

If you did want to expand the roster past the blitzers and first witch, surely the second witch or a runner would be a better option. Maybe "Rule of Five" isn't your bag, but surely we can understand that 8 is too many.

TLDR: DE Linemen are awesome, think hard before swapping them out for more positionals

dammit but.. qft.

(Thats Rat_Salat, pythrr and licker i've agreed with totally within one week. What are the other signs of the apocalypse? we better be on guard.)

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

very well. I submit me proof. Yet I concede the point that they are Niche players, specifically more amazing vs av7 players.

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3577502

http://www.fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3578792
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

No hate, just no love.
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Wuhan, I notice your Dark Elf ranked team has one of your best win rates, while your Box Dark Elf team has one of your lowest win rates. So maybe it is opposition dependent. Possibly you don't face as much high AV in ranked? I see you have played some Chaos and Orces but there is plenty of Elves, Zons and Skaven in there where your Assassins may have been more important.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I guess Most of ye, 'll never know the feeling of having Horkon Heartripper, Double stab, a Superstar Rat ogre (250k), and a Superstar Gutter runner (200k) in the same block for 2 BH.

Open yer heart, and let horkon stab it.
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see multi-block being a great addition for an assassin.