18 coaches online • Server time: 05:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should we change the rules to encourage more passing?
Yes
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 77

markor

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Janmattys,

If I didn't answer your suggestions before I will do so now:

1,2 and 3. Some other posters made suggestions for this, I won't make the case for mine again.

4. I didn't answer this fully above. I should have added that the running teams will still need to run it through the defence. I would welcome this, as I want to see more variety, not less. The passing teams would be likely to pass more, since this method of scoring is quicker and if there is no, or not much stalling, the emphasis will be on scoring quickly. To make it so that the running and passing teams are well balanced, you would have to make it so passing is still slightly less risky than running, so that the ability to score quick tds would be countered by the greater effectiveness at scoring tds.

5. So yes and no? Do you mean a bit? If so, I have said that I would be happy even if it only had a small effect on stalling. I never made the assertion you attributed to me. I only suggested changing the guard and piling on rules, which you seemed to partially agree with.

6. I agree. Everything is reasonable. I like passing more than you, you like stalling more than me. Next!

7. But would it win more games if passing was made more effective? It would depend on how how effective it became.

8. See 4.

9.I agree.

10. See 10 in my last post.

11. If it was harder than other ways of playing, i.e. less effective, or less easy to learn, would all those players do it? Before you said they loved winning most of all. Note that I'm not saying it is easy. Re: stop trying to change the game, I don't think there is a problem with doing this, after all the game has been changed before, don't worry, the conservatives won, and apparently there is no mechanism for changing the rules again anyway (I didn't know this when I started the thread).
Calcium

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The worst kind of coach here is the one that wont quit until he/she has forcefed their opinion of how this game should be down everyone's throats until the rest of us choke on it.

I stand by my earlier analysis of this....far more experienced (and better) coaches have been all over what you think is your 'unique' insight into your issue.

You need to realise you're just another new coach here, know your role, shut up and listen to the JanMatty/Wreckage's of FUMBBL, because they know what they are on about.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
I played 4 games with Lizardmen, and one with humans (where I tried to throw a long bomb to a player waiting in the end zone, but failed a going for it). So well done for putting things in context again, Stikki.

so, this passing thing ... it's AMAZING!

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

You're always going to have trouble talking about changing the rules. Even if your ideas are fairly good.

I hear that the thing to do is to talk about "house rules". That way no one getting worried that you are trying to destroy the game that they love.

If it is clear that you are only talking about house rules you are likely to get an easier ride. Even from those people who think that your ideas are complete tosh.

If you are talking about changing the main rules try to make sure that you are proposing a good, well thought out idea.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Oh yeah regarding point 2, something we did in my local league was give someone who threw a TD pass the spps for a TD, the same way NFL QBs have passing TDs.
This wasn't a house rule, we were just dumb but looking back it seems like it could be a decent rule.

this would be quite cool. would make elfs and rats skill even faster tho ... 6spps per short pass GR TD...

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="markor"] I only started attacking other posters after they attacked me without offering any useful input (unless you count personal attacks as useful input). Calcium was one of these, as was xerode. Their contribution to this debate (and I imagine others) has been limited to rubbishing suggestions without suggesting what was wrong with them or suggesting better alternatives, and talking about the personal motivations of the person who suggested them. They will probably reply to this post using this exact formula. If you can find one post from either of these two that does not fit this format, please post it.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
The worst kind of coach here is the one that wont quit until he/she has forcefed their opinion of how this game should be down everyone's throats until the rest of us choke on it.

I stand by my earlier analysis of this....far more experienced (and better) coaches have been all over what you think is your 'unique' insight into your issue.

You need to realise you're just another new coach here, know your role, shut up and listen to the JanMatty/Wreckage's of FUMBBL, because they know what they are on about.
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

You are so predictable, Calcium.
Beerox

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

You guys should argue about this in the middle of the street somewhere. That'd be awful funny to watch.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Markor as I mentioned it is very easy to setup players in position to pass, which is one of the reasons many are happy that it is riskier in terms of dice rolls and protecting fails. If it was both easy to do and low risk then the game would be very simplistic for people who play a lot. Well, not many would play a lot. There would be less strategy. That is crucial.
Alternatively as I suggested you could boost agile players/thrower passing bonuses to passes but those players would need to be more expensive. And this would likely be very difficult to balance satisfactorily.
Have you thought of some ways it could be done? Making passing less risky than running would be a massive change and would go back to my point on strategy. I don't think Bloodbowl would have survived long after the tabletop game stopped being sold in GW if there was little strategy.

A few people have mentioned the pass league to you. If you can join in scheduled leagues then it is worth looking at to see more people attempt passes.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol koadah

I heard the thing to do is feed 'em to the Clawpomb, they go through bone like butter
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Try small changes first, and if these aren't enough, make larger ones? Play-test? I don't know who would do that, though, so I guess the best solution for me would be to find a league like the one you mentioned, although I don't really want to play scheduled games.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
You are so predictable, Calcium.

really? you've just arrived. you picked up on that rather quickly.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Try small changes first, and if these aren't enough, make larger ones? Play-test? I don't know who would do that, though, so I guess the best solution for me would be to find a league like the one you mentioned, although I don't really want to play scheduled games.

is there anything you DO want to do, aside from whine about things that are not going to change?

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2015 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes - stop talking to you.
 Jump to: