41 coaches online • Server time: 10:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpIkEdDeAmOn

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems this part of the forum has been taken over by over people complaining about fouling and sideline, pushing! So i want to start a thread which is about *shock* tactics!
Firstly i play bashy teams, there nice! So im very familiar with the "cage" thing is, does anyone actually know/use any other tactics with bashers?? cause im realy bored of caging! Plus i started a wood elf team not long ago, and so far my games have been thinking on the spot and ive been able to exploit opponents turn overs. But i dont have a clue what to do when i am reciving a kick off!! so how about some more flavour to tactics Also how in gods name do you stop a One turner other than sending your mino to kick his ass??? Twisted Evil
Samuli

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

To start with, an open tackle "cage" is a lot nicer than the normal cage. Much harder to break, not to speak of the moment you're stuck with the ball in the middle of it.

That's what my orcs use mostly, with a st5 ball carrier, of course Smile

My ogres do a lot of ogre running playes relying on st5 again. They don't have the cage around them, though, as half of the team is bone-heading somewhere most of the time.

Now, my norse have made me come up with different tactics, as they really suck. Don't get this wrong, my team is great, but the problem is with norse. St3 overall, with ag3, and too few guards. I've been using mostly a tactic where I form a line of my players. And the ball is in the line or just behind it, depending on the opponent. This has the drawback of leaving your ball carrier to be blitzed most of the time, but the opponent has again a hard time to recover the ball if they get it down.

And, use a few random players running downfield all the time, try to look for openings, don't be afraid of passing plays, etc.

Well, that's my 2c. I think I've managed with these tactics.

// Samuli
Quilwood

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

My dwarf team has the best passing game of any dwarf team that I know of. I just run my blitzers halfway across the field with troll slayers making the hole and forming a semi-cage. I use the longbeards to stop any dodgers getting to close by just standing next to them. One runner gets the ball and stays way back on his side and the other is near the half line. On my second turn i run up pass to the other runner, then run the runner up to a blitzer. Handoff and gfi for a two turn score.

Most of the time it doesn't work that well and I either have to throw a long pass or get my blitzers free with some good manuvering.

That is still kindof a cage. The only other strategy besides a cage is the spread out one. I've seen elf team scatter 4 or 5 "catchers" across my half of the field and just throw to the one I leave the most open, or they free up.

If you think about it there is only two strategies: Grouped together; and Spread Out. You just pick one and come up with the more specifics.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Tactics eh?

As a fan of the run with bash teams, I rarely use the cage tactic. I set up a wall on the sidelines and try to run behind it. However, on tactic I use is the counter play. Set up like you are going to run down on e side of the field. See how the coach reacts to it. It he slams up against your wall and attacks it with all his defenders.
Keep an ogre or few of your better blockers on the week side of the play. If you play it right, move your ball carrier counter to the wall. Hopefully your better blockers on the weak side can form up assists and blocks as your opponents team is stuck on 1 side of the field against your original wall. This works good with orcs and chaos dwarves, as they have strong guys and enough speed to pull off the counter.

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Tactics? I'm playing a bashy team, why would I need them?
Adar

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I just realised why my Dwarfs doesn't win much...

Either that or the fact that I only started with 1 AG3 player (hey I could get more players with more skills by loading up on Long Beards!).

I think I need advice too...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2003 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/BBTactics.html

There's some very good stuff there. Someone gave me this link when I asked the same question on the old Forum.

As far as the WElfs go, it sounds like your defense is going well enough (it's all about forcing opportunities and capitalizing on them) and the offense bit is a lot easier. Try putting a bunch of elves halfway to the endzone and out of TZs. He can only blitz one of them and if he leaves any of them uncovered, they're a scoring threat. Keep your ball carrier back near your own endzone at this point.
Next turn, move forward with the ball carrier and hand-off/throw to an open elf near the LoS. The new ball carrier then moves to the most open elf downfield (after a strategic blitz to free someone, usually) for the handoff/pass and then the easy score.

That's the basic idea, at least...

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2003 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Tactics.....Bah i shun them.
I follow some simple rules.
1. If your oppo has a nice player.....KILL IT
2. If your oppo moves players near the sideline...They go crowd surfing.
3.If a wardancer or other annoyance falls down...Foul it...
4. Get Ball and score
5.Score some more.
But I'm crap and no nothing dont listen to me. Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2003 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Taffsadar wrote:
I just realised why my Dwarfs doesn't win much...

Either that or the fact that I only started with 1 AG3 player (hey I could get more players with more skills by loading up on Long Beards!).

I think I need advice too...

You should probably start your dwarf team with 2 blitzers and 2 runners. You really want 2 runners, since you can get in trouble if you only have one and he gets hurt. Also it's really important that you stall against teams that can score quickly. Aim for 2-0 or 2-1 wins, and try not to score unless you are absolutely sure your opponent can't score (1-turners do cause problems, though).

Typically, a dwarf team can expect to score a maximum of 1 touchdown per half, and have trouble stopping other teams from scoring, since their low MA and AG gets them nowhere fast. So don't give them the ball until there aren't rounds enough left for them to score.

Worst that can happen is if you lose the ball on your drive. It can be almost impossible to win if this happens, as if it gives your opponent a touchdown, there won't be enough rounds left in the half for you to score. So guard your ball carrier at all times, and remember to stall whenever possible.
vorner

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2003 - 03:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The Halfling Road to Glory.

Or the Green Path of Greatness.

Both are nice tactics which I've used for my Stunty teams in the past, but would really be at home on any bashy kind of team as well.

The premise is simple. Build a channel for you to run down, and then run down it. Fantastic!

This can be done on the sideline, requires less players. Or in the middle.

Basically make a hole in the line and flood players through. Instead of making a cage that can be stood in front of. You make a nice little corridor. This then can be extended or the 'walls' run off in different directions.

When close to the TD zone, you can pass to the end players marking the end of the wall. Although ideally you want to just run it in, unhindered and untackle zoned. Thats it. Most useful against teams that outpace you, and are impossible to get a break from.

Which is really everyone when you play mv 5 halfies alot. Smile
Spectre

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2003 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi im new to this site but i have been playing the board game for quite some time now.

A tactic that i have found out that works well with many different teams is the 'false cage'. Retreive the ball and start forming the cage as normal. If you oponent is stupid enough to comit all of his players to breaking open the cage you have an easy touchdown. Ignore the cage and just start running with the ball. If you have a high Ag team you could go for the pass. Your oponents players are all caught up in the fake cage that ends up turning into a general brawl that requires dodge rolls to get out of.

The trick is to make your oponent think that you are going for the cage
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: May 09, 2003 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

put your treeman beside an minotaur and wait whats happening. Smile

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

give your tactic a nice name and you will feel better..my undead team has a strategy not of caging, rather I refer to it as the funeral march, somebody is going to die and if its me , who cares they are just undead anyway
erwinhightrain

Post   Posted: May 16, 2003 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhluhur I love that tactic.
As one of the worst coaches in the league my stratigy is to lose often. To ndo this you must first commit sins of error and ommision, then move the wrong guy first. Have wild animals that can get trapped as above. go for it when you don't need to. have luck that rivals the shuttle program and in all things be not bright. My point is with any sound stratagy good and lucky coaches will beat you. and more unlucky and careless coaches will lose to you. Anybody that falls in that last catagory lfg. Very Happy
Rorshac

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2003 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

There are 2 basic tactics for bloodbowl. Everything else is just window dressing.

1) Never roll a dice unless you have to. Even if the odds are in your favour, every dice you roll is a chance for you to stuff up. If you must roll a dice, do everything in your power to make sure the odds are in your favour.

2) Force your opponent to roll lots of dice. Every dice he rolls is a chance for him to stuff up, even if the odds are in his favour.

But inside of the window dressing, I'd add:

Use your re-rolls when you fail what should have been easy. Don't waste them on things in which you had little chance of success, unless its your only chance of preventing/gaining a TD.

At start up, buy less super expensive players than you would like, and spend the money on re-rolls, . The price of rerolls will go up sharply, those expensive players will remain at their expensive price. Buying them later is better than doing it the other way around and only getting half the re-rolls for your money.

Don't hang around on the edge of the pitch. Its an invitation to go crowd-diving. If the gap your opponent has left in his set-up would get you deep into his half, but leave you on the edge of the pitch, it's probably a trap.

If you are about to do something with the ball that would make it possible for the oppositionto score if you dropped it, put some players around the guy with the ball to at least interfere with an opponents attempt to pick up your fumble.

Even if you don't consider yourself to be a throwing team, a lone guy deep in the opponents half forces him to send at least one guy to deal with him. And near the end of the half, when you realise there is no way to run or rumble the ball up the pitch, and you have nothing to lose by dropping the ball, you'll be glad he is there - sometimes the last minute desperation throw and catch works.

Sometimes you don't need to break a cage. Sometimes all you need to do is stop it from advancing. With only 1 blitz a turn, it isn't hard to limit a cage to making only 1 or two squares advancement.

When you mark a player, never forget what you are trying to do. Do you need to block him? If you merely need to stop him blitzing the guy with the ball, standing next to him may be enough. Is he agile enough to dodge around you and still reach the ball? Think about the odds of your sucesful block compared to the odds of his succesful dodge.

As long as you have somebody else around to grab the ball, and there is only one enemy within reach of the ball carrier, sometimes its safer to let him blitz, then smack him down and retrieve the ball, rather than risk go-for-its, tricky dodges and 1 dice blocks to prevent the blitz.
 Jump to: