35 coaches online • Server time: 10:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 21:50
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

DeathJester74 wrote:
I play to shred teams. I enjoy destroying the other pixels that my opponent has invested hours and hours into building up! Coaches try to play it off like they don't care but those are the ones who care the most! I usually don't even pick up the ball, I only care about getting as many CAS as possible and ruining as many teams/players as I can!!!

I'm going to feed the troll, apologies all.

What you have told us DeathJester:
1. You are desperate for attention. No one uses three exclamation marks about their own actions without being a little sad and lonely. Well, there is a lovely community here, we can maybe ease your loneliness.

2. You are terrible at BloodBowl and sad about it. Don't worry, if you actually chose to get over your hissy fit and try, you could improve, lots of people have.

3. You lack experience, imagination and maturity when considering the actions of others. People play for countless reasons, and in countless ways towards varied goals. Your theory of 'of course everyone cares about their pixels' demonstrates only that you do, and lack the imagination to think maybe others really really dont.

But don't worry, you have also hung a huge 'easy win' sign around your own neck and should find R game offers easy to come by, and in B, people will just treat you as the minor road bump you are choosing to be.

Or, you know, you could get over it and either go play a war game, or try to get better at BB.

A Lot of hard core B griefers do play Tournaments, but did not enter the Carnage Cup it seems. Which is interesting. I suspect they do not enjoy too even a playing field.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to think English isn't his first language and the real point he's trying to get across keeps getting lost in translation.

I blogged about starting playing box today and he turned up in the comments. I think he was trying to say welcome to box, I look forward to playing you but obv google translate didn't do a good job.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jdmickleburgh wrote:
I like to think English isn't his first language and the real point he's trying to get across keeps getting lost in translation.

I blogged about starting playing box today and he turned up in the comments. I think he was trying to say welcome to box, I look forward to playing you but obv google translate didn't do a good job.

I'm a bit baffeld by the responses. Throweck wants to know why people play in the box. DJ says he likes to do bash.
People go nuts about it.
Why ask when you are scared of the answer? Are you seriously surprised some people are in the box to play bash?
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

DeathJester74 wrote:

I was not allowed to enter, I was deemed "too violent" to participate. I am on another level.

I love DJ.

Jeffro
cdassak

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
DeathJester74 wrote:

I was not allowed to enter, I was deemed "too violent" to participate. I am on another level.

I love DJ.

Me too!
Somehow he makes me miss Calcium and the Babes.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Timetis wrote:
For me my mindset is that I try to be as competitive as I can while still having the feel of a fair game for both parties. I avoid going all-in with one-trick ponies [my words] like cpomb/natural oneturners/minmax, and I try keeping the same teams alive for a long [indefinite?] period of time. I do enjoy winning though; )

To me, any game I have played in ranked has felt a bit lacking - I will always wonder whether I took/offered an unfair match. Box fully removes this aspect, which I enjoy.

Timetis captures my thoughts almost exactly.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2016 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
DeathJester74 wrote:
I play to shred teams. I enjoy destroying the other pixels that my opponent has invested hours and hours into building up! Coaches try to play it off like they don't care but those are the ones who care the most! I usually don't even pick up the ball, I only care about getting as many CAS as possible and ruining as many teams/players as I can!!!

I'm going to feed the troll, apologies all.

What you have told us DeathJester:
1. You are desperate for attention. No one uses three exclamation marks about their own actions without being a little sad and lonely. Well, there is a lovely community here, we can maybe ease your loneliness.

2. You are terrible at BloodBowl and sad about it. Don't worry, if you actually chose to get over your hissy fit and try, you could improve, lots of people have.

3. You lack experience, imagination and maturity when considering the actions of others. People play for countless reasons, and in countless ways towards varied goals. Your theory of 'of course everyone cares about their pixels' demonstrates only that you do, and lack the imagination to think maybe others really really dont.

But don't worry, you have also hung a huge 'easy win' sign around your own neck and should find R game offers easy to come by, and in B, people will just treat you as the minor road bump you are choosing to be.

Or, you know, you could get over it and either go play a war game, or try to get better at BB.

A Lot of hard core B griefers do play Tournaments, but did not enter the Carnage Cup it seems. Which is interesting. I suspect they do not enjoy too even a playing field.

You might want to check out his teams...
B_SIDE

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

For safety reasons, I'll just address the OP:

My frogs took 23 cas in 2 nearly consecutive games against Bill. (I've always found him a bit sadistic, but a sporting fellow, and a pleasure to play against.) I've played a lot of games with my frogs in B because I don't have much of the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" in me.

I like the idea of B because I want to play against a variety of teams and coaches; it adds a certain novelty to the matchmaking process. I also like to be part of that novel experience for others. I find it immensely satisfying to surprise coaches with teams, tactics and strategies they are not accustomed to seeing. Of course, that means that my team builds will frequently be sub-optimal. So be it.

That said, I've got a Nurgle team that's starting to look dangerous. For me, using these killing teams adds to the novelty, since most of my games have been played with squishy agility teams. (I play mostly rats TT.) Join em mentality? Well surely I would never have built my Nurgle team the way I have if I wasn't already aware of how effective and horrifying a cas based team can be. But for me, they represent the exception rather than the rule.

I can't say that I prefer the box to ranked. But I have played most of my games there. Matchmaking is fast, easy, and close enough to random. I'll be back to agility teams in B soon, I'm sure. Because when I can't beat em... nah screw it I can beat em.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

well said B_Side. very similar to me especially in the 'creating novelty' aspect.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
jdmickleburgh wrote:

I'm a bit baffeld by the responses. Throweck wants to know why people play in the box. DJ says he likes to do bash.

People go nuts about it. Why ask when you are scared of the answer? Are you seriously surprised some people are in the box to play bash?

I think it's fine for people to play bash in the box. I do. Each to their own of course. I'm more interested in the mentality behind it. For example, DJ's mentality that he portrayed in his message was a complete disregard for the opponent. (I've never played him so I can't comment whether or not he would make it fun). Compare that to Bill's mentality. WMDs may destroy your team but he will make the chat fun so you don't feel like you are wasting your time.

I think this is why he gets a bit of fire not because he plays bash. Attitude goes a long way on fumbbl. Thing is I don't think people are too bothered. My guess is that saying stuff like 'I will make you fear the box' is more ridiculed than taken seriously by most coaches. I very nearly fed the troll myself but PC did it better then I could have.

I look forward to playing DJ at some point and see if he really is the big, bad wolf he professes to be. Smile

I might get in touch with Calcium to show him how it's done properly Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking at his recent matches he seems to frequent the forums more than the actual Box. Wink Have we now catered to the obvious attention mongering enough that we can rest the case? Razz
jdm

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
I think this is why he gets a bit of fire not because he plays bash. Attitude goes a long way on fumbbl. Thing is I don't think people are too bothered. My guess is that saying stuff like 'I will make you fear the box' is more ridiculed than taken seriously by most coaches. I very nearly fed the troll myself but PC did it better then I could have.

100% this. I've got 0 problem with bash (play a bit myself) but if your stated aim of the game is to disregard or have contempt for your opponent then that deserves ridicule.

That said he's a comical chap. A bit of yin to the_great_gobbo's yang.

But getting back on point, a lot of the points in this thread ring true to me, none more so than this:

B_SIDE wrote:
I like the idea of B because I want to play against a variety of teams and coaches; it adds a certain novelty to the matchmaking process. I also like to be part of that novel experience for others. I find it immensely satisfying to surprise coaches with teams, tactics and strategies they are not accustomed to seeing. Of course, that means that my team builds will frequently be sub-optimal. So be it.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Looking at his recent matches he seems to frequent the forums more than the actual Box. Wink Have we now catered to the obvious attention mongering enough that we can rest the case? Razz

In Deathjester74's defence, I find him a lot of fun to play against. His banter during a game is comical and makes the easy win over him more enjoyable.

Jeffro
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:

I think this is why he gets a bit of fire not because he plays bash. Attitude goes a long way on fumbbl. Thing is I don't think people are too bothered. My guess is that saying stuff like 'I will make you fear the box' is more ridiculed than taken seriously by most coaches.

Don't get me wrong. I do have an issue with it when somebody plays for bash and doesn't pick up the ball. And when you make such a statement and have almost exclusively losses to show for that is somewhat irritating because it underlines that this might be real.

On the other hand, if I was genuinly interested in what people thought about something, I'd go out of my way to make sure they aren't getting threatend, ridiculed or intimidated when they make a statement in my thread.
Because otherwise you'll only ever hear the responses of people who say convenient things. You'll never figure out what the real motivations are.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2016 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well griefers are a known quantity. I think there was a survey back in the very early days of MMORPGs that showed this. Can't recall the exact figure but it was a significant number of players who played in the PvP environment to ruin other people's day, without any challenge/risk to themselves, so they could feel empowered. This is why in modern MMORPGs you usually suffer very little disadvantge from being killed in PvP, and there are sophisticated systems in place to keep the open world PvP in check (WoW even has PvE servers where there is no open world PvP at all). Fumbbl being a relatively small and personal community, and Blood Bowl being a relatively complex and obscure game, seems to disencourage this for the most part. Especially because griefers like to be around other griefers where they can brag of their "achievements". Well we used to have the "Danger Zone" and "Team Fantastic" but it was all very moderate, and it's all died down pretty quickly. Besides, Nuffle has given us BB2 in which griefers will feel much more at home than here.

Then there is a separate phenomenon, of a person who is desperate for attention, and seeks attention on the internet (this is true to a degree for all of us frequent forum posters/bloggers). With such a person, the whole griefing and forum trolling is just a bad choice of methods. You see people like that join Fumbbl every now and then, most will naturally do something funny and harmless to seek attention, they usually become well-liked members of the community, while some others will go the griefing/trolling route. And in some instances you can even see the moment where the decision hangs in the balance, and then it goes one way or the other.

Either way, I agree with Wreckage, talking about griefing is on topic for this thread, though for this particular poster, I think it's more of an act he puts on, so there is very little to learn from him.
 Jump to: